NOVICE needs advice about gym equipment & strength training

Options
I have a family membership to a really fantastic local fitness center. Problem is, I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing what equipment does what and how to make the best use of it.

Years ago, when I first became a member, one of the staff members took me around and showed me everything, but honestly it was just overwhelming, and I don't remember much about it. I mostly just use the gym either for the pool, or occasionally the cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals).

That said, I have some muscle pain issues that stem from imbalances due to my desk job (I work from home as a website developer -- so a lot of shoulder and neck pain on the side where I normally use the mouse), and it's been recommended to me by more than one health professional that I need to strengthen my core and improve my overall strength throughout my body, as well as taking frequent breaks when I'm on a project so that my muscles won't stay too long in that same position.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice on a basic routine that will allow me to work through all of my muscle groups, as well as strengthen my core? There are literally dozens of machines and weight benches, presses, etc.. at our local gym, but I need something simple to get started, or I'm afraid I'll be too overwhelmed to continue.

Maybe there is a website someone could recommend? What I'd love is if there were a website, or app, or something that would just recommend exercises, sets, reps and frequency for me as a beginner, and then build out from there. Also, something that would help me to familiarize myself with the equipment at the gym before I go so I'll know what machines to look for.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand that all those machines seem like a mish mash of 'stuff' just now. I would suggest you take the orientation again. And as you work through that, ask the person about core exercises.

For weights, a circuit program is often used. I use one at the local Y. Our circuit starts with lower body, then moves to upper body. During the orientation, they explain that we should do the machines in order. This is because the machines are set up to use the larger muscles first, and get those tired. Then the following machines use smaller muscles -- and the large muscles can't step in and help as we already tired them; so the work is actually focused on the smaller muscle. Each machine works on one muscle group, and usually there is a diagram on the machine which shows you which muscles are involved when using that machine.

If what your place has are these machines (Nautilus, Life Fitness, Striker are a few brand names), then during the orientation, the staffer is also helping you figure out which settings to use based on your body size, and what level of weights to start with. Settings will include the seat adjustment (how high or low it needs to be).

This is usually recorded on a chart, a sheet prepared by the facility. The charts are kept in a file drawer. Next time you go in, you pull your chart and work through the machines. Often, there is a staff person always available so if you can't remember a machine set up, you just ask. If you go 3 times a week, I promise at the end of 3 weeks the machines WILL be familiar to you!
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That sounds like good advice! Hopefully, they won't mind taking me through the orientation again since it has been so long. :smile:
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for some ideas or some general workout plans...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm
  • rakufire
    rakufire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your gym should give you a free reassessment from time to time - it's definitely time to ask for one now you have a more specific goal. They should also be able to help you structure a few workouts you can rotate through.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    There are some really fabulous apps out there. Two of my favorites are FitnessBuddy, and imuscle2. They have pre-fab workouts built in that you can follow, with visuals and instruction as to how to properly do the exercises. I love them. You can also follow workouts on Bodybuilding.com - I did Jamie Easons 12 week program and it got me completely comfortable with the gym. It has daily routines plus videos of how to do the exercises.http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Have fun!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Best use of your time and effort is to read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Excellent, easy to digest book that will get you started with the fundamentals, no bs or "miracles" in there. I HIGHLY recommend it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why don't you ask for another tour? just be like "when i joined no one really showed me around can someone show me the weights?"
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, in land far, far away (Pennsylvania), I was a healthy, fit, thin 18-year-old. I was trying to pass the physical for one of the military academies, and I was clueless too. I paid $40 for hourly sessions with a personal trainer at my gym, and passed my physical with flying colors. (When I didn't get accepted, I gave up on health and that's how I got where I am). While I no longer look like the type of person who can give advice, I recommend making an appointment with one of the trainers at your gym. Not only will they show you how to use the equipment properly, but they'll also show you how to work your body to get the most out of your workout. Even just a couple sessions with a trainer will help teach you what to do so you make the most of your time at the gym and avoid injury. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    probably the best thing to do is get a book like New rules of lifting.

honestly, the basic 'rules' are astonishingly simple.

sounds like you want to do a 'full body routine', which would mean each day you lift you work the whole body.

whole body consists of the following 'areas'
    -chest
    -back
    -legs
    -shoulders
    -arms

many would not even bother listing out shoulders and arms as they are worked during many back and chest movements.

core you might not need to do much direct work to get benefit in that area, tho if you use exclusively machines, you won't get as much core work as if you were using free wieights.

Its really hard to use poor form on a machine. Plus they always have pictures. if you just walked around and choose a machine that did a chest workout (based on the picture) and one that did a back work out, and one that did a leg work out, this would not be crazy.

do this two or three times a week, with at least one day of rest inbetween, and you have yourself a very simply but useful 'routine'
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5, a simple effective lifting program, which consists of compound exercises, which means they use many parts of the body giving you a full body workout without having to do specific isolation exercises.

You can get tips on here, there's a group. Or you can find LOTS of information on the internet about it.

Good luck!
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I thought about this overnight and wanted to add this:

When you are working, you need to stop periodically and move, relax the shoulders, do some shrugs, arm stretches, and so on. Set a timer if you have to, so that you take a break about every half hour.