How do YOU combine weight loss with (heavy) drinking?

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sigh...wonderful goal in life...getting stupid drunk.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    a night of drinking often ends in 2000-2500 kcal from only te drinks. Seeing as my goal is 1500 and maintenance 2100, I really don't know how to work this out!
    What do you drink that is that caloric? I could get 25 light beers in for 2500 calories or 19 vodka shots (though I'd puke long before that). I've got to assume you're using mixers that are loaded with sugar.

2100 allows for a lot of food and booze, if you make wise choices.
  • bonsaibeanz
    bonsaibeanz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like in an ounce of bourbon whiskey and some milk taste very good.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give you, from a former alkie who cheerfully boozed her way through college.

For every one drink you have, drink a glass of water. Trust me on this one.

One - you stay hydrated (one of the two leading causes of hangovers).
    Two - you drink slower (which is good when money is something of an issue).
    Three - it keeps you more full so you're less inclined to munch.

Since I'm deathly allergic to malt (no whiskey, no scotch, no beer, no wine coolers, etc), wine was my primary drink of choice. That and White Russians. :)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't combine them at all. They are on opposite ends of the spectrum, so to speak. Which do you want more? Lose weight & look & feel good? Get drunk & feel bad but get an invite to AA?
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Getting hammered and weightloss need not be incompatible. The less you eat the easier it is to get wasted!

Just eat less the days you drink and enjoy yourself. And be safe for Christ sake! :drinker:

I drink a few pints of beer throughout the week and will knock a few shots of jack or maker's mark on the weekend. Just track the calories and you'll be fine.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief with the sanctimony in here.

Yes, you can drink and still lose weight, but you just need to be smarter about it. Start out with a couple of shots and then you don't need to drink much to maintain your buzz while you're actually partying. I have a couple of rum and diets before going out (no, I'm not driving people) and then just have one beer or so at the bar.

Don't forget the water though. I try to drink a glass of water between every drink to avoid hangovers.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a night of drinking often ends in 2000-2500 kcal from only te drinks. Seeing as my goal is 1500 and maintenance 2100, I really don't know how to work this out!
    What do you drink that is that caloric? I could get 25 light beers in for 2500 calories or 19 vodka shots (though I'd puke long before that). I've got to assume you're using mixers that are loaded with sugar.

2100 allows for a lot of food and booze, if you make wise choices.

get something with fruit juices. I'm in NewOrleans for vacation and had the obligatory hurricane from Pat O'Brien's at lunch. It was 1000 calories. I wasn't even buzzed after finishing it so I could have easily sucked down 1 or 2 more .
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories. Obviously don't sacrifice food for alcohol calories otherwise you'll get wasted so fast. Just increase your workout that day before you go out or go for lower calorie drinks. Most of my drunk nights are at the club and I dance non-stop so I don't even worry about logging the drinks.

Or treat it as a cheat day and just don't worry about it, if it's only once every 2 weeks I wouldn't.

:drinker:
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Smoke weed instead.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't drink unless I'm gonna be dancing! Dancing is a great exercise~ And when you're drunk you get extra vigorous with those motions and I like to think I burn extra calories haha

I only drink shots/on the rocks or mix with no/low-calorie mixes. Water, diet soda/red bull, seltzer, tea, coffee, fake juice powder stuff like crystal light or mio. Occasionally wine or beer. The calories in alcohol alone aren't too bad, but if you are mixing it with high calorie liquids, they add up SO fast!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Smoke weed instead.

^ or this lol
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while allowing myself to drink; mostly beer. I just planned my calories and found that learning to run or taking a long hike became a real good way to burn the calories (ahead of time not after). Alcohol definitely makes it harder and slowed my progress but it is possible. The end of the story though is that I have learned to prefer exercise over drinking and have slowed my drinking a lot without even meaning to because it impacted my ability to run or hike or lift.

In the end, it is all about managing your calories. You want alcohol, some want ice cream or cake. Probably cannot have them all though :)
  • Elisabeth2016
    Options
    Whiskey and coke (and by that I mean coca cola lol) and just stop eating Im just kidding about the stop eating thing! Ive found that exercising a lot before going out then just get to drunk to care! lol
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I drink pretty heavily on the weekends and I just fit it into my calorie goals. I tend to "bank" a few hundred calories per day during the week and use them up when I go out on the weekends.

I used to try and make them fit into my daily goal but that left me eating like 300 calories a day and drinking the rest... not a good idea on my part but I've never claimed to be the smartest ;)

So as long as I stay under my weekly net I'm good to go! Feel free to friend me, I log all my alcohol so no judgy-wudgy bears.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief with the sanctimony in here.

Yes, you can drink and still lose weight, but you just need to be smarter about it. Start out with a couple of shots and then you don't need to drink much to maintain your buzz while you're actually partying. I have a couple of rum and diets before going out (no, I'm not driving people) and then just have one beer or so at the bar.

Don't forget the water though. I try to drink a glass of water between every drink to avoid hangovers.

I agree, this teetotaler stuff is uncalled for. Its like religion. Its good that you have one, its good that you are proud of it, just don't bring it out in public and wave it all over the place.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Smoke a little something instead ;)

+1

Or better, yet, add your something to chocolate brownies, then work them into your calories.
  • sarahinrichmond
    Options
    I usually plan what I want to drink and then do extra cardio or lifting that day to earn those calories. I like my wine and I know I'd like to spend about 400kcal on just wine tonight so I'll go home and do about 30-45 min of cardio to earn my drinks. If I only get about 20 minutes in that means I can only have one glass of wine and I stick to it.

It's all about planning.
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    i work out and drink almost everyday.

But then again, i got a few inches to get rid to see my abs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I'm losing weight, and thus far it's going quite good.. However I've quit drinking until now, but I plan on starting again soon. I want to sustain my student lifestyle with getting drunk (so not just a few beers/wines) once every 1-2 weeks. I suppose it could be possible (I know it's not healthy) and I was just wondering how other people do it, if people do this at all?

its calories in calories out.

maybe best to look at how many calories you want to eat in a week.

plan your eating around your drinking lol. eat less on the days surrounding it so smooths out for the week. Say you want to eat 2000 cals a day. if you ate 1500 a day on a drinking week, then you would have an extra 3500 cals on your drinking day to drink with
    Normal diet:
    7*2000 = 14000 cal goal for the week

Drinking diet:
    7*1500 = 10500

14000-10500 = 3,500 to get yo' drink on!!!!