Is My Chili Unhealthy?

Options
KatieHugsBugs
KatieHugsBugs Posts: 12 Member
Tonight I was planning on making chili but i dont have much money so i had to pick some cheap stuff to put in it.
I was planning on putting Brooks Mild Chili Beans, Hunts Diced Tomatoes, and a pre-packaged chili seasoning and of course any other vegetables i can find. I know it will be high in sodium but i eat healthy all day, no frozen meals or anything of that sort... And i dont plan on eating a big gob of it either so would this be alright?

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Log it.

See if it meets your macros/calorie requirements.

They'll be nutrients if there's plent of veg. Unless you have a medical reason to not eat sodium, it won't impact your health or weight loss.

If you're still worried just drink plenty of water.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Log it.

See if it meets your macros/calorie requirements.

They'll be nutrients if there's plent of veg. Unless you have a medical reason to not eat sodium, it won't impact your health or weight loss.

If you're still worried just drink plenty of water.

This.

Just log it and eat in moderation.

and dont forget the garlic!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    That's how I always make my chili ;)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if sodium is an issue for you then skip the prepackaged chili seasoning (they are gross anyway) and invest in actual chili seasonings:
    the basics are cumin, chili powder, paprika, basil, cayenne, worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic. i like my chili to be spicy cincinnati style so i also add in coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice and a little bittersweet chocolate

also remember to rinse the beans is sodium is an issue and use low sodium broth. if you use enough of the chili seasoning then you wont miss the salt i've found that you can't overseason chili, especially with the basics and quite often when i think i've used too much, it ends up being just right at the end and tastes even better as it gets older.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Tonight I was planning on making chili but i dont have much money so i had to pick some cheap stuff to put in it.
    I was planning on putting Brooks Mild Chili Beans, Hunts Diced Tomatoes, and a pre-packaged chili seasoning and of course any other vegetables i can find. I know it will be high in sodium but i eat healthy all day, no frozen meals or anything of that sort... And i dont plan on eating a big gob of it either so would this be alright?

I make homemade chili and to control the sodium in it I use chili powder and paprika insead of chili seasoning. May not be an option for this batch for you, but maybe next time you can give it a try.

And to answer your question I think it will be alright!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

You're 18 years old. I'm guessing sodium and high blood pressure are not an issue for you. Make the chili, eat and enjoy!
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Many pre-packaged chili seasoning, contain sugar, MSG and other unheathy ingredients. T
    ry from scratch and make sure the tomatoes you use and beans don't have hidden sugar. Lots of home mades to try on the net for the next time. Here's one. http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-chili-and-taco-seasoning/ you can leave the salt out and salt at the time of consuption to cut back on sodium.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much the chili I made yesterday. What's unhealthy about it? Mine came out to 250 cals per serving.

giphy.gif
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Depending on how spicy you like your chili, you may even opt out of using the seasoning packets. I use the chili beans and the diced tomatoes that are chili ready. It still has a "kick" to it, but then I add a dash or two of hot sauce to my bowl, as I like it really spicy! Good luck!!! :smile:
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nah. Probably not awful.

FYI if you want cheaper seasoning, if your grocery store has what they call an "international foods" aisle buy your chili powder, cumin and garlic powder down there. It's cheap as dirt and you can make multiple batches of chili and know exactly what's in it.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to use your own spices.................chili powder is cheap, and you can always add tabasco if you like a real kick! You can also buy spiced beans in a can, which add some heat.

Eat up!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes. Why? I don't know, but I feel like yes is the right answer. Meat, tomatoes, and beans must be unhealthy on some level.

Wait. No meat? Well I think we've found the problem.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Yes. Why? I don't know, but I feel like yes is the right answer. Meat, tomatoes, and beans must be unhealthy on some level.

I didn't even see that there was no meat.
    I assumed...

afe34f514b7712c99f157f9dcbdd91712ceefe0b133ba0a882806be0a67c7450.jpg
  • thqueenbe
    Options
    I wouldn't call it unhealthy, but it's also not 'clean'…not sure if you care about that. I will say, buying canned beans is more expensive than buying dry beans. And it just so happens dry beans are 'cleaner' than canned. So, I'd switch that out, personally. And I'm also a fan of using seasonings you have in the cabinet instead of buying the packet. You don't need the fancy stuff…salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, onion, and anything else that strikes your fancy will work great. And yes, DEF add in whatever veggies you can. I usually add a chopped zucchini, frozen green peas, and even a *little* frozen corn. Chili is very forgiving; so load up those veggies and you have a healthy meal!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Make it the way you like it. Nothing about what you listed was UNHEALTHY in the slightest. People offering their opinion on what you could do different are overlooking your question which was whether it was unhealthy for you to make it the way you did--the answer is no. Enjoy your chili!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should buy a shake weight for your chili. It will make it healthier and fitter.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I didn't even see that there was no meat.
    I assumed...

afe34f514b7712c99f157f9dcbdd91712ceefe0b133ba0a882806be0a67c7450.jpg

Can you put lamb in chili? I mean of course you can...but how would it taste? ...I need to try this.

Enjoy your spicy bean and veggie stew OP. Its not unhealthy.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Made some ground turkey chili last night and it was delicious! lol

Feel free to peek in my diary for ingredients and my notes below for all ingredients.

Yummmmyyyyyy!!!!!

And I did use a little chili seasoning packet (1/4) and my own seasoning.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Make it the way you like it. Nothing about what you listed was UNHEALTHY in the slightest. People offering their opinion on what you could do different are overlooking your question which was whether it was unhealthy for you to make it the way you did --the answer is no. Enjoy your chili!
    actually no, the OP mentioned the sodium content, so those who offered opinions on what could be done differently in terms of the spice packet weren't overlooking the question.

and yes, if the OP has issues with sodium (the fact that she is 18 has nothing to do with the possibility that she could have issues with sodium due to hypertension or kidney issues which can happen at any age), the chili could be made "healthier"
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Make it the way you like it. Nothing about what you listed was UNHEALTHY in the slightest. People offering their opinion on what you could do different are overlooking your question which was whether it was unhealthy for you to make it the way you did --the answer is no. Enjoy your chili!
    actually no, the OP mentioned the sodium content, so those who offered opinions on what could be done differently in terms of the spice packet weren't overlooking the question.

and yes, if the OP has issues with sodium (the fact that she is 18 has nothing to do with the possibility that she could have issues with sodium due to hypertension or kidney issues which can happen at any age), the chili could be made "healthier"

IF she has issues with sodium--that's a big if. She could also just drink more water, increase her potassium consumption so that the ratio is more appropriate, or just reduce her sodium intake in her other meals (which she already said are healthy--so if she was concerned about sodium in this meal I would guess that her other meals are lower in sodium already).