Exercise Diary/Planner recommendations?

Options
Can anyone recommend a good exercise diary/planner?

I am looking at more of a planner then a diary, something where I can write down sets (e.g Watt bike, resistance 5, watt 130-150, 90secs, Watt bike, resistance 5, watt 150ü170, 90secs, stepups 15 each, repeat 3) etc....I am currently using the very unprofessional method of A/4 sheets :)
Thanks

Replies

• ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know the answer to this..!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    help? :)
    please
    pretty please :)
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    really? no one uses an old fashioned paper based exercise diary-planner any more?
    :sad: :yawn:
    pretty please please please :):sad: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use excel.

I have planner apps that tell me to go to the gym but once you get a routine you don't really need them.

With excel each tab is a month. I have each workout day already planned with exercises and weight amount. I typically just use a small note to put the weights I'm working with. I suppose you could print the whole worksheet or use one tab per week.

With excel, this allows me to dynamically change things if I have to. It also lets you customize it however you need.
  • nickpetratos
    nickpetratos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    if you have an ANDROID phone, you can install the CARDIO TRAINER application, at the notification bar the app show you the week plan for your schedule gym.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I use excel.

I have planner apps that tell me to go to the gym but once you get a routine you don't really need them.

With excel each tab is a month. I have each workout day already planned with exercises and weight amount. I typically just use a small note to put the weights I'm working with. I suppose you could print the whole worksheet or use one tab per week.

With excel, this allows me to dynamically change things if I have to. It also lets you customize it however you need.

thanks.I manage things in Excel right now- trouble is that I use Excel throughout the day too...come the evening (when I plan for the next day and review the day gone by) the last thing I want to do is boot my PC up for Excel :( and then I have to print my plans as well :( and then there is the issue of where is the latest file (work PC?Private PC? paper version?) I thin I need an organizer type of diary where I can pland and log my exercise sets and also has folders where I can stick in some extra printed training plans etc...and I would - of course- digitize it back to XLS from time to time...
    Thanks for the input - I appreciate you helping out!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    if you have an ANDROID phone, you can install the CARDIO TRAINER application, at the notification bar the app show you the week plan for your schedule gym.

thanks a lot for the recommendation - unfortunately I failed to establish a friendly relationship with the Android OS a while back :(
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I just use an old Filofax. You can re-order stuff, rip out old plans, insert new ones. And the paper is free on Freecycle because nobody uses Filofaxes any more. :laugh:
  • gajidas85
    gajidas85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Although I use an app to monitor my weight and a website to store my meters rowed it's just too easy to leave it out of my mind to update those things. But having to write it down in a planner keeps me more on track for some reason. Before I used my regular/work planner but found it hard to find space so for 2014 I plan to use a separate planner just for fitness things. Nothing special or fancy about the planner just what works for what I want to write down. I've seen planners that have a page for the days of the week and the opposite page that's blank for longer notes, this might work for what you want. Not really a "fitness planner" suggestion but a plain planner would be cheaper and you could tailor it to what you need.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Although I use an app to monitor my weight and a website to store my meters rowed it's just too easy to leave it out of my mind to update those things. But having to write it down in a planner keeps me more on track for some reason. Before I used my regular/work planner but found it hard to find space so for 2014 I plan to use a separate planner just for fitness things. Nothing special or fancy about the planner just what works for what I want to write down. I've seen planners that have a page for the days of the week and the opposite page that's blank for longer notes, this might work for what you want. Not really a "fitness planner" suggestion but a plain planner would be cheaper and you could tailor it to what you need.

thanks...yep I have an ordinary diary and have been going for about 1.5years now..trouble with that is that I find it hard to find things I wrote as it only has blank pages so I just scribble the stuff down.it is not in a set order (oh here comes my OCD -hahaha) ..I think I need something which has some struture to it - like a template but not too strict as I dont really do weights - I do a lot of functional strength instead - like TRX..and there is no weight value for TRX. so how do I put TRX chest pull up 3x15 into a table which talks about weights..

Filofax is the direction I am heading to :) They are sturdy...they are customizable...you can put in little pockets which can hold notes and stuff..

Thanks all for the answer - I truly appreciate it!
  • darcyrees
    darcyrees Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use TrainingPeaks.com, they also have an app for smart phones. They have a free version that lets you add current and past workouts. But you can upgrade/pay for a version that allows you to enter planned workouts. I actually have a coach who enters my workouts. She enters data into the planned section, like Swim, 1 hour, 1800 yards, she also enters the break down of my yardage like 200 drill, 200 warm-up, etc in the description section. When I complete the workout, I enter the time and the yards and there's a comment section. I also do TRX and simply log that as strength.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I use TrainingPeaks.com, they also have an app for smart phones. They have a free version that lets you add current and past workouts. But you can upgrade/pay for a version that allows you to enter planned workouts. I actually have a coach who enters my workouts. She enters data into the planned section, like Swim, 1 hour, 1800 yards, she also enters the break down of my yardage like 200 drill, 200 warm-up, etc in the description section. When I complete the workout, I enter the time and the yards and there's a comment section. I also do TRX and simply log that as strength.

thank you! I will definately check this out!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I got myself an A5 size desktop planner - in pretty PINK :)
    it has 1 page to 1 day so it is bulky enough to stay on the bookshelf (didnt want to carry to the gym anyways) and has plenty of space for me to plot out the weekly exercise menu and then jot down what happened

It also has 12 pages of monthly planning - I can do the maths there :) so it will be easy to take a look back on what I actually managed to do and what not..thanks for the recommendation folks - I hope I can keep at this diary thing :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I use Excel to chart the things that need math (including calories, etc).

But I also use a little reminder program called TaskPrompt. I log my lifts and notes there. I make a category for each workout and then add the reminders (you can see them on a little calendar). When I check the box to complete the entry, I add my notes. You can do a lot of sorting, so it's kind of cool.

You can also make a new entry on the fly instead of needing it as a reminder. It'll still pop up immediately and just click 'completed' :)
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I bought a fitness diary on ebay -(after checking it out on amazon) I am thrilled how good it looks
    it has 2 pages for each day - not sure how many pages but looks decent size
    left side is for cardio and strength and sets..
    right side is for other exercise like walking etc and dietary notes (!)
    and a nice chart where I can rate if I met my goal in 25%,50%, 75% or 100%

really nice format..I think I will give it a test run in the coming weeks...