Lifting weights/Free weights

Options
I was wanting to get some answers from you all. I am starting back fresh beginning of the year and working on getting myself into shape and to the figure i want to be.

My question for you all is what are some good ways/methods for me to use to lift weights? Are there any websites with descriptions or a guide to follow. I intend on walking/cardio and other methods but want to build some muscle tone. I have done weight lifting in the past but i wasnt confident that i was doing it correctly. I would see someone do one method and then try it for myself and then question if i was doing it properly. I did notice that one side of my body seemed to tone faster than my other. It wasnt noticable for anyone else but for myself.

Any posotive feedback, pointers or guidelines/advice is greating appreciated. :happy:

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    I really like bodybuilding.com for video demonstrations of exercises and information on which exercises work which muscles.

EDIT: Also, no one is truly semetrical. I notice on myself that my right side has more pudge than the other. That doesn't really matter though, because it will all be gone soon any way. ;)
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't copy what you see random people in the gym doing, they are just as likely to be wrong.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I really like bodybuilding.com for video demonstrations of exercises and information on which exercises work which muscles.

EDIT: Also, no one is truly semetrical. I notice on myself that my right side has more pudge than the other. That doesn't really matter though, because it will all be gone soon any way. ;)

I refer to bodybuilding.com most of the time too! Its a great site with LOADS of quality information.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    look up starting strength, strong lifts, wendler 5/3/1 or new rules of lifting for women (although this one gets a bit too complicated and less focused on building strength).

for videos on the net, look for videos by mark rippetoe. he's got several on how to properly do compound movements like deadlifts, squats and bench press
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use pocket trainer- it's a phone app. It costs $1.99. You input your measurements and experience, and they create a program for you, and progress your exercises as you go. You have to choose the weights you use, and you have to figure out how to have good form (very basic knowledge that can be found in lots of places, including from the staff at the gym, youtube, etc). Good luck!!
  • ClevaBlandfy
    ClevaBlandfy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks all i appreciate the feed back im looking forward to seeing some changes soon to come.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out FitnessBlender.com, they are also on Youtube. I've been able to put together a pretty good routine using their videos and dumbbells at home.
  • ClevaBlandfy
    ClevaBlandfy Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Im glad to find out im not the only person that notices the odd differences between my right and left side lol. :laugh: Ive tried doing a few extra reps on one side than the other and it never seemed to make a difference.:grumble:
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    JeFit has strength routines and animations of the exercises. You can modify a routine you download to your page to suit the equipment you have available. It is free to get an account and there is an App you can use while you workout to input your data & then sync it with the web site.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Found a lot of great info on this site:
    www.fitnessrxwomen.com

(My only problem is when they start using machines, since all I have is dumbbells at home.)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    ExRx.net is a good one, too, and check out this post if you're using dumbbells. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • sam_sam_24
    sam_sam_24 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    YouTube tends to have informative videos if you type in "correct form for [name of exercise]" most will tell you why you are using this form and what the incorrect form is.

Most Gym's give you a free personal trainer session with the membership. I would set up a session with the personal trainer and have the trainer show you some exercises you can do and the correct form.

Most of the people have great sites and apps posted on here as well. I think you are set!

P.S. I wouldn't look at others in the gym. There are a lot of people in the gym that have bad form. You could hurt yourself by using improper form.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

every word in this reply...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Im glad to find out im not the only person that notices the odd differences between my right and left side lol. :laugh: Ive tried doing a few extra reps on one side than the other and it never seemed to make a difference.:grumble:

my arms are super toned now but when I take picture of both the left one is obviously thinner than the right one. LOL