Suggestions for a picky eater

Options
Hello, my name is Sarah and I have just joined myfitnesspal in the last few days. I am a very picky eater, and am a non-cook. I would love any suggestions on meal options that include the nutrition I need, but doesn't require much cooking or complicated combinations of foods. The types of foods I bought this week are celery, sandwich turkey meat, deli cheese slices, apple slices and caramel packages, wheat thins, lettuce, and Special K cereal. Obviously I need to expand my food choices, but hopefully the list of foods I started with gives some indication of the simplistic, easy choices I am looking for. I need to learn about the nutritious way of combining foods for meals to get the proper ratio of carbs, proteins, and fat. Any and all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would get bored of just eating those things very quickly! Doesn't sound like you're getting much protein?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This is coming from a former picky eater: Do yourself a favor and try new foods. Just try them. Variety is the spice of life. I lived most of my life eating nothing but bread, pasta, and cheese.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm a picky eater.

my suggestion is to learn to cook for yourself. i pretty much eat the same things.

easy things i like (and that are delicious) are egg, chicken breast, chicken thighs, ground turkey, smoked salmon, baby spinach, fresh kale, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, havarti cheese, laughing cow cheese, red potatoes, brown rice, bacon, rice noodles, broccoli, carrot, strawberries, blueberries, bananas.

like 85% of what i eat is some form of combination of those items. the other 15% comes from other stuff i'm either sorta kind of OK with or find disgusting and wished i wouldnt have eaten :laugh:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i would probably look at the things I normally ate and then modify those things.

for example, when i eat salads, i no longer have cheese on it and i makes sure at least 1/3 is raw spinach.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How about smoothies? I keep a variety of frozen fruits and vegetables on hand and mix in protein powder and its a quick and easy meal replacement. I second learning how to cook some though to keep your diet interesting.
  • Haskin_Fuzernick
    Haskin_Fuzernick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Second the smoothies. You can toss a lot of good stuff in that you normally wouldn't care for due to texture, and it's masked. Check the green smoothie thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159250-green-smoothie. And it's easy!!!

I do like eggs. They can be as simple or as complex as you want them to be.

Today - simple: a couple of eggs whipped up with some salsa, toss in a pan, and pull off when done. About 4 min. No other spices needed...the salsa (buy good stuff or find a good recipe) adds all that's necessary for a quick scrambled egg meal.

Breakfast yesterday - slightly more complicated, but not by much:
    Two whole eggs and two egg whites scrambled with homemade salsa (replace with your favorite) and a dusting of basal
    Pour into small pan on medium heat
    Slice tomato - I used half of a large tomato and lay the slices on the egg and press down
    Bolthouse blue cheese yogurt dressing (or whatever your favorite is) dropped in a few places (just drops - not mixed in)
    Cook until done around the edges, then toss in the oven @375 until done

I'm going to try some nutritional yeast mixed in next time.

It rocked. That took less than 10 min, I'd never done it before, and was only possible because I had a variety of things around the house. If it's there, you can try it. If you don't have it on-hand, you'll never try anything new. I figured I'd give it a shot and it worked. I've also thrown out some really nasty combos. It happens. Just start to experiment, and then fill your pantry. Don't worry about not knowing how to cook. Just do it, and you'll learn what you like/don't like.

ANDI scores helped me: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/andi-food-scores.aspx. Don't buy the nasty stuff you mentioned (don't even bring it into the house). Fill your pantry with the good and your tastes will changes. I was a dairy and sausage nut from WI (I still own a few cheeseheads - go Pack!). Now, it actually sounds kind of gross.