Knee Problem

Options
When I do squats and lunges my left knee makes a sound almost every time. Not entirely sure if I am doing something wrong or if I should do less. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Replies

• kaiodedra123
    kaiodedra123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hear and feel things in quite a few bones when i lifted. It never used to hurt me so i didnt take it seriously. Although i didnt hear or feel stuff in my wrist thats the only thing thats played up the past couple months.

Always best to take it easy every time and get regular check ups
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    After tearing my left LCL and straining both IT Bands in my day my knees make popping sounds all the time, then I went to Ranger School and recycled mountain phase so I did that *kitten* twice after I graduated my knee would make this double-click sound when I walk up stairs but it hasnt caused any pain or discomfort so I would say the best advice is just ease into the things you do with your body and see how it responds to it, now days I run like an animal and lift heavy with no worries because it hasnt been a problem if it develops into one then I guess it is what it is...so ya just ease into it and when your confident in it just dont worry about it
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Edited to give my real reply!

What kind of noise is there when you performing exercises?
    Any pain? If so, where?
    Is it clicking on the inside or the outside of the knee cap?
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'll send a detailed reply later
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My knees snap, crackle, & pop all the time. If I use proper form when doing squats & lunges my knees don't hurt, but I really feel it if I do them incorrectly.
  • annAsami
    Options
    Thank you for the advice so far! I wouldn't say there is any pain but it can be uncomfortable from time to time. My family has bad knees so I would like to strengthen mine to prevent any need of surgery. I would say its a crack sound, not like cracking your knuckles or anything. It isn't just once it will happen almost every time I go into a lunge or squat position and move. I try not to push its because I worry I'll injure myself or something.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Gross right! I get it too. Ive been doing shots in my knees called Supartz. Mainly getting them in my right and my left knee sounds nasty with the cracking and ripping sound. You need to have music on so you cant hear it.
  • Piercey_24
    Piercey_24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My knees crack almost every time I bend them. I can lay on my back and do the bicycle and they crack or pop you may say like crazy! If I what causes it my chiropractor said something about pushing air out of the joints. I know I'm not much help but thought I'd let you know your not alone!
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to diagnose - it could be anything from simply air escaping your joints/synovial fluid, to a tendon rubbing on a bone spur. It's best to see a doctor about this one if it bothers you. As I've aged, more body parts making popping and clicking noises, but one noise that came from my wrist now causes me pain - probably tendon rubbing. :(

I hope your pops and cracks are more of the benign nature.
  • annAsami
    Options
    Well I did the Jillian Michael killer buns and thighs early (when I decided to post this) and now the knee that makes the sound is killing me. There was no pain during but now yea pain. I am going to hope that it is just muscles building but next time I see my doctor I will ask.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt?

Are you going through a full range of motion? You should be squatting to parallel or lower, with your toes pointed forwards or slightly outward like a duck. Not going through a full range of motion puts a ton of unnecessary stress on your knees. If you don't feel like you can get there, start with box squats, where you use a bench or stacked stair steps or boxes at a height where your hips are parallel or lower than your knees and sit down on the box and stand back up.

Does your knee make the sound normally when you are sitting down or standing up from a regular chair?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine are so loud I apologize for the sound when walking up or down stairs near people!

Mine really are a problem, but I didn't know that (wish I'd known much sooner). It turns out my kneecaps are extremely hypermobile, and they don't track normally. That is really easily tested, at least if yours are like mine, lol. It freaked the doctor out how mine move :D I didn't ever ask about them until I started getting pain from them consistently. I should have asked much sooner!