C25K - I suck at running...

Options
Hi all. First post on this board, but have been lurking for a while.

I know that I should be relying on inner motivation to help my push thru the C25K program, but am finding that self-talk doesn't seem to be enough.

25cent version of me - 40, married, dad - decided about 6 months ago that I'd really like to live long enough to enjoy grandchildren (way, way in the future), so have dropped about 75 lbs since early summer on a ketogenic diet, but still have another 60 or so to go.

I'm a white collar office guy, so pretty much sit on my butt in the office 10+ hours a day.

Started exercising when I started my weight loss journey, and was at the gym 3-4 times a week on the elliptical, having worked my way up to 45 min at 4 mph.

Decided about 2 months ago (for some crazy reason) that on an upcoming Disney cruise, I wanted to do the 5k fun run on our port day at their island in the Bahamas, so started the C25K program. Considering I hadn't run since junior high gym class (and have had 6 knee operations - 3 on each - in the meantime) this may have been one of the less intelligent decisions I've ever made in my life.

Started off on the treadmill in my gym, but quit after a couple of days because of the pain. I decided to go to a couple of local specialty running stores to see if my runners were the problem. 2 out of the 3 stores I went to (different chains) ended up recommending the same model of neutral runner (my current pair were stability), and that, combined with joining a 2nd gym that had a proper running track, have really helped.

So...

I've now got 6 weeks until the run, and 3 weeks and 1 day left of the C25K program. To be honest, I never thought I would make it thru a 1 minute run, let alone the two sets of 8 minute runs I did on Friday. But... now I'm facing a 20 minute run, and am freaking out. So that's issue #1.

Issue #2 is that I'm so freaking slow. My run is literally at a 4 mph pace, and my lungs are on fire going at that speed (just bought myself one of those water bottles that straps to my hand, so I can drink when they start to feel like the sahara desert). I understand (conceptually) that at this point, it's about endurance and not speed, but there are elderly people on the track who are just blowing by me... Good for them - bad for my ego.

Any sage words of advice would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job taking on the task of learning to run!!! I did the program back in April and had not ever run before so I totally understand how intimidating it is. Each week I just knew I would not be able to progress to the next week and each week I did. I remember when I realized that my next run was going to be 20 minutes, straight from 10 minutes to 20, that's just crazy. I knew for sure I would not be able to do it. Guess what? I did!!! And it felt amazing!!! I feel so powerful when I run, not sure why, maybe because I never thought I would be able to do it ?!

As far as going slow. I'm slow too. 8 months later and I'm still not much faster than when I started. On the treadmill I run about a 15 minute mile and outside about 13.5 minute mile. You know what, I don't care. I'm running. I'm running! Any runner will tell you that your speed doesn't matter. You are doing this for you so let those old people run past you and just keep going!!! There will be someone slower than you, I am sure of it :)

Great job!!! Enjoy your run :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Been there, understand your pain! Funnily enough it was that 20min run that changed running for me completely. Like you, the idea of it was terrible but I had made a deal with myself that if I ever quit on a session I had to re do it. I got to 15mins in and wanted to die! But there was no way I was going through those 15mins again because I quit early so I staggered through it. I finished gasping, sweating and feeling bad - for about 3 mins, until my heart had stopped beating out of my chest. Then I got a hell of a buzz - I'd done it, I'd run for 20mins! 4 months previous I was gasping walking up 1 flight of stairs! After that run I fell in love with running. I have my first 5k race tomorrow actually and am signed up for 3 10k's and a half marathon in 2014. I'll be snail pace slow I'm sure but I'm doing it for me so as long as I do my best then that's good enough.

Look at where you've come from, think of what you've achieved so far. The C25K programme has worked for you so far, so have faith in it and yourself, you can do the 20mins even if it hurts a bit doing it - short term pain for the long term gain if you like!

As for speed, you'll get quicker. I've knocked 17mins off my 5k time since August (and I'm still slow - PB is 33.59). Don't worry about who's passing you, they don't know you and the only judgement they'll pass is 'good on him for running'. And think of the people you're passing - everyone who's sat on their sofa!

Good luck with your 5k (at least your first one is warm, mine is on a mountainside in Wales, UK!) :flowerforyou:
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I also started c25k. I hate running. I mean HAAAAAAAAAAAATE running. I thought it was the most fiendish device of torture ever devised by the devil. But to my surprise...I ended up pushing myself harder, and looking forward to it. Its a great stress reliever (I used to roll my eyes when people said that)

I am on week 5 as well. I altered mine a bit. I went from the 8 minutes, to the 10 minutes, to 12 (my 1 mile pace). Next I will try for 15.

c25k needs to be ran a little more than 6 mph if you plan to complete 3.1 miles in 30 minutes. But its less about the distance and speed, and more about the time (endurance). Once I complete the program, I will do it all over again, increasing my speed.

Are you also strength training in addition to c25k? If not, I suggest doing so. Strong muscles will help increase your time and endurance.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I've now got 6 weeks until the run, and 3 weeks and 1 day left of the C25K program

Start the C25k again but go alittle faster this time. instead of 4 mph pace do 4.5 or 5 pace
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I too am a slow runner, but when I did my first race, I was pleased to see that there were people running at ALL speeds - faster, slower, and everything in between. You should be proud of yourself because you are getting out there and DOING it first of all!

As a friend of mine once said when I complained about running slow - "Hey. At least you are not eating!"
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For the 20 minute run in Week 5....trust the program. It has gotten you this far. Trust it. You are ready for this.

As for the breathing, try and consentrate on it. Easy in, easy out. And for the water, there are running bottles that do have hand straps. I suggest bringing one with you if you think you will need it.

Another thing...never judge your running against someone else. The only compatition you should have right now is yourself.

One suggestion....make sure you do not stop runninig once you get to the end of the program! Keep going so that you maintain the level of cardio fitness you have achieved.

And as for the speed....that will come with time as you run more. One of the biggest speed boosts for beginners is more miles on your feet.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Go slower. I actually just completed my first 20 minute stretch last week-- and let me tell you that was the best runner's high to date. It lasted hours. :smile: Like you I never thought I would ever run...or that I would love it. My knee gives me problems sometimes so I got an arch support and it helps. I probably need to get fitted for shoes to correct my stride too.

Slow it down. I actually set my pace to 3.5mph when doing longer stretches of time. It helps. I'd rather complete it than push myself. Completing it helps me realize that the next milestone is possible.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I've now got 6 weeks until the run, and 3 weeks and 1 day left of the C25K program

Start the C25k again but go alittle faster this time. instead of 4 mph pace do 4.5 or 5 pace

No....if 4 mph is where he is at...then 4 mph is where he is at. Speed will come with time as he gets more miles on his feet. His main goal should be finishing the 3.1 miles injury free.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Great job on learning to run especially after knee operations. I'm a 44 year old woman and haven't mastered the C25K program.

My sage advice is "it's a fun run". Only compete with yourself on it. I'm still at the beginning of my training for a 5k mud run which I actually want to run. That said, I've done 3 of the 5k Fun Runs. I took my time, ran what I could of it, and walked the rest. Sometimes it was a slow jog rather than a fast walk, sometimes a bit more of a run than that. Guess what, I had fun!

The runs I did were themed. I've done a "Bubble Run" (which was so fun, running through the bubble foam and it was some serious bubble foam) and a "Sprinkler Run" (also very fun but that's because it was during the Vegas Summer so wet was a fun thing) as well as Color Me Rad (which is a color run, look it up, it's a bit harder to explain). And if I was more financially stable for more of the Fun Runs, I'd have done the Ugly Sweater Run (my roommate did and they had some fun "stops" for pictures, or "obstacles" like the snow globe) and I'd do the upcoming "Blacklight Run" as well as the "Bad Prom" Run.

So again, the sage advice is have fun! If you're having a tough time running it, then walk it. Nobody is going to judge you, they're going to be having "fun" too. I found a lot of encouragement throughout the various ones I've done.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the speed. I run a 12:00 min mile, so about 5 mph. I had to get over myself in a hurry at my first race...no one there knows what I've been through and I don't know what they have been through. If they judge me or want to laugh at how slow I am, they can suck it. I just keep running.

If you don't feel you can run the whole 20 mins, it's okay to walk. I can't run more than 2 miles straight before I really, really have to walk. I'm okay with that. Tomorrow's run is supposed to be 8 miles, and I'll walk about 1/3 of it. But still, 8 miles!! I'm proud of that, and you should be proud of 2 or 3 or 4, even if you have to walk some of it. Do what you can, and keep striving to improve.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Go slow if you need to go slow. You are a white collar, desk bound, 40 year old guy with other responsibilities and 60 lbs to lose. (basically my situation too, but 30 lbs or so left to lose)

Take your due credit for being off the couch.

My first 5k (May of this year) took 43 minutes. My normal mile time was 12 mins. My c25k pace was 4.5 mph.

I do 5k's in 30 mins now. My normal mile time is 8.5 mins. And my workout pace for 3+ miles is 6.5 mph.

It all comes in time with effort. (like anything really)
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I also started c25k. I hate running. I mean HAAAAAAAAAAAATE running. I thought it was the most fiendish device of torture ever devised by the devil. But to my surprise...I ended up pushing myself harder, and looking forward to it. Its a great stress reliever (I used to roll my eyes when people said that)

I am on week 5 as well. I altered mine a bit. I went from the 8 minutes, to the 10 minutes, to 12 (my 1 mile pace). Next I will try for 15.

c25k needs to be ran a little more than 6 mph if you plan to complete 3.1 miles in 30 minutes. But its less about the distance and speed, and more about the time (endurance). Once I complete the program, I will do it all over again, increasing my speed.

Or you could just continue on with B210K and let the speed come naturally as you increase your miles. Mileage increases are one of the biggest speed bumps for beginner runners. I went from an 11+ minute pace to a 10 minute pace in less than a year all from continuing running and increasing my mpw.
  • miss_henrie
    miss_henrie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After never running more than a minute all my life...and I am forty, I did the c25k this year. I know exactly how you feel because everything you said I felt at the exact same time. My advice to you, get on the net and look up "good running form" and then when you get to that point in your run where you think you can't breathe and start to panic remember your form. Straighten up, put your chin up and calm calm. Focus on your breathing and form and you WILL get through it. When you are on the other side and you realise that you just did 20 mins and you can, you will be absolutely stoked! Breathing and form breathing and form. I completed the c25k and now I can punch out a run without even batting an eye. Running has lead to a level of fitness I have never had before. Just remember breathe and form. Chin up. Don't panic and you will feel like a BOSS!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Running a marathon is my ultimate, top-secret goal (you totally didn't read that!), and my mantra is that no matter how slow I am running, I'm still lapping the guy on the couch.

Well done for coming so far! You'll do fine and the main thing is to finish!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far, you're doing great! I did c25k several years ago - back before apps or even smartphones, and I struggled and had to restart many times. I had shin splints and assorted issues, but I kept coming back until I completed it (and the 10k program too). Remember, It's not necessary to run a 21 minute 5k or to run a marathon if your goal is fitness and health. Running is a secondary pursuit for me, I am a cyclist first and foremost. But it is an important secondary pursuit, one that can be done in weather in which I won't ride, plus it is so easy to just throw on some shoes and head out to grab thirty minutes of good exercise. So I would encourage you to stay with it. My pace now is pretty decent, but for me it is about fitness and health, not nailing great times. So the heck with everyone else's pace, I'm going at a pace that improves my fitness while remaining doable for me. I trail run so I'm usually alone so I'm not shamed by my pace, and at MFP I created my own generic exercise labels (trail run, road run, etc.) so I don't have to post my speed/pace. I'm in this for me, not to impress others. I say hang in there and go at your own pace. Think long term, you may surprise yourself!
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first week of the C25K. . . and I really appreciate this advice and encouragement, I'm a slow runner but figure if I can do it slowly and complete it, THEN I can work on going faster.

Here's my question: my shins are killing me. On fire about half way through.

Someone told me once that this is just your muscles adapting to the movement, that they aren't used to the different motion that you use in running. Has anyone else experienced this, how long does it take to go away, or should I be worried that this friend is wrong? The pain stops as soon as I'm done.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on even trying to start running. Surely speed shouldn't matter? Especially since you are so new to it. Just keep plodding and eventually you'll get faster and find it easier.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I'm on my first week of the C25K. . . and I really appreciate this advice and encouragement, I'm a slow runner but figure if I can do it slowly and complete it, THEN I can work on going faster.

Here's my question: my shins are killing me. On fire about half way through.

Someone told me once that this is just your muscles adapting to the movement, that they aren't used to the different motion that you use in running. Has anyone else experienced this, how long does it take to go away, or should I be worried that this friend is wrong? The pain stops as soon as I'm done.

Yeah, I had this really bad for the first 3 weeks of the program. I took an extra day off if I needed it. I would massage out my calf muscles at the end of every night right before bed, and made sure I was getting enough potassium in my diet to support my running. And I invested in compression sleeves for my calf muscles to use if I felt I needed them.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. RICE...will get you through this. If you feel you need to repeat a week because of this then don't be afraid to do so.

OH! And foam rollers...rolling out the lactic acid that builds up helped a lot too.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and running is really unlike a lot of other exercises. I thought I was in great shape and exercised all the time and it was still kicking my butt every single day. My trainer gave me the best advice and that was to start slow and increase endurance and then work up to the speed.(I told him he was full of it and then admitted a month later he was right) When I began I was about 5mph and then I worked my way up to 7mph and sprint 7.5 at times when doing intervals. It felt extremely SLOOOOOOOOOW in the beginning, but things picked up fairly quickly once I dropped the all or nothing expectations. You will get there and you doing great so far!