over 60 crowd?

Options

Replies

• SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in my 60's ( sometimes feel like I am still in my 40's) I am an Aussie, have been on MFP since 2012, love to read and reply to my friends posts and I log in every day. New friends always so welcome, and my diary is always open to my friends. :)
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 64 and joined in April of 2012 when I was told I needed to drop 20 lbs. I've dropped 15 of them and still working on the rest. Also have a wheat allergy and have to give up anything made with wheat flour--I think that helped me lose some of the weight. That is until I discovered some wonderful gluten free deserts (LOL) -- they are much higher in calories than normal stuff. Oh well.

I'm in the over 60s group and found it a wonder, supporting and encouraging group. Good luck:smile:
  • Tomyslady
    Tomyslady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Brand new member here!!! I will be 68 in October. Looking forward to getting healthy and losing weight!!!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and I've been here a good long time. As you can see I have had some success, though it's been slow, they tell me that's the best way to do it.
  • janetj2013
    Options
    Right about there!
  • browniecharles
    browniecharles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and am trying to lose weight. I have tried and tried and nothing moves the scale. I'm hoping this will work.
    I was very thin at one point in my life by not eating, but I can't do that anymore because of Hypoglycemia. Is anyone out there
    beleive this website will work for me???
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 earlier this year. I lost about 20 lbs. over the last few years and now weigh less than I did when I got out of HS. It was a combination of kicking up my workouts and 5:2 fasting. I've gotten into long-distance bicycling (well,30+ miles is long-distance for me!) and I feel like I'm 15 again when I'm on a bike. (The pic of me was taken last month after one of those rides.) So yes, you can lose weight and get fit after 60!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've always seen the over 50 posts, but I think this is my first time seeing over 60. I visit the forums quite often, and have to pick very carefully which ones I want to say something on. It seems like everybody is so young and full of spunk, too much for me to mingle with. I have a few good friends in the 40 plus and a few 25 up. I would love to hear from others, it was kinda lonely but now that I know there are some 70 on here, this place rocks!

Forgot - 64. that picture - no its not me. I wish!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and am trying to lose weight. I have tried and tried and nothing moves the scale. I'm hoping this will work.
    I was very thin at one point in my life by not eating, but I can't do that anymore because of Hypoglycemia. Is anyone out there
    beleive this website will work for me???

Yes it will work, but there is no silver bullet or magic potion, you have to weigh & log your food and try to keep within your calorie , and Hypoglycemia guidelines

Some times we slip up, but never give up
  • paulina61
    paulina61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok I will join!
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined last week. Just turned 60 in Aug; need to lose so that I can get my knees replaced. I fin the tools very easy to use. I also syncd my fitbit to the site, but walking is very hard with my bad knees. I am trying to stay above 3000 steps.
  • nplusultra
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 66 years old and have just returned to working out at a gym after a 20 year break. I have remained slightly active throughout those years but my daughter convinced me to get more serious about my fitness and health. Yesterday marked one week of working out at the gym. I also have just joined this site only 6 days ago and am learning that there are a lot of us at this age group with similar goals. I'm looking to make friends who I can share this fitness journey with.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and just made major life changes this year: sold my house, moved to Ottawa to be closer to my son and grandchildren and started working at a new location. Because I'm now in an apartment I have to walk my big dog 3 x a day. Just got a Fitbit Flex and logging about 15,000 steps a day. I also had both my knees replaced in 2008 and I'm so thankful I can walk without pain although I find the icey conditions in Ottawa pretty scary because it's bad when I fall.

I'm hoping to lose 65 pounds this year. I lost before on Atkins and it stayed off for a long time. I should stop messing with a good thing and just do Atkins again because it works, I like it, and I felt great on it.

I just got on here and am also looking for friends. Okay just realized my profile says I joined in November 2011 which is true. But wasn't on here for at least a year.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and in the last 9 lbs of my journey from 209 lbs. My goal is 135 lbs. During that process I became a runner, and what started as a difficult 30 walk is now running 4.5 miles a day. What I notice most about folk our age and older is the loss of flexibility. I can see the "old man's shuffle" everywhere I go. Running not only improves flexibility, it improves balance, cardiovascular health, glucose levels, cholesterol levels, bone density (especially the hip joints!) and mental acuity.

Most of the reasons folk our age give for not exercising --cardio, weight lifting or both-- are not "reasons", they are excuses. It is work, no doubt about it, and sometimes I have aches and pains I never intended, but as long as I am careful, listen to my body, stretch, take proper rest, and keep my doctor in the loop, I will continue!

I welcome friend requests provided your diary is open (mine is public), that you log everything you eat and the exercise you are able to do, and that you log into MFP daily, or nearly daily. I want folk to challenge me (I get cranky running at 18F!), and I hope you will want to be challenged. I understand that many of us are now physically more limited than we would like, but all of us can and need to be as fit as we are able.
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 64 and I'm happy to see there are more of us here on MFP close too or over 60. I have 3 dogs 2 Catahoula’s and 1 Terrier and I don't exercise them nearly enough. I live with lazy guilt . I want to lose 35 pounds. The picture is from early this year 2013 when I had lost 25 pounds and I just couldn't get the extra 10 off and gave up. So I'm back at it but I know that the exercise needs to be incorporated into my healthy plan of eating and portion control. I lost my weight using Slimming world. I am now incorporating the healthy food habits I learned through slimming world with portion control to lose that 25 pounds again.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    a month (shriek!) to go until I'm 60. Count me in.
  • Southsong
    Southsong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I,too, am in the over sixty crowd, but actually turned 60 this past Sept. I am trying to lose about 20 lbs. and keep it off!
    Never tried MFP with cyber friends, but was inspired when I read that people are more successful at losing weight when they have pals (for accountability, I suppose). On the news tonight, it was stated that successful dieters always eat breakfast and never cheat.

Hmmm, I used to just save calories for a treat, but didn't have to cheat. That has become increasingly difficult for me. However, if I cheat then my mental battle collapses. I've also come to realize that my metabolism has disappeared or ,at best, slowed way down.

If you guys and gals are looking for accountability, let me know!

LJ
  • Southsong
    Southsong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    R u still in?
  • stotinki
    stotinki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 62 and can relate. I am on blood pressure, cholosterol and thyroid meds. no sugar problems yet thank goodness. I only need to lose about 25 pounds but my problem is that i cannot exercise. I always loved to exercise but now it causes too much discomfort. Even swimming left me barely able to walk a few months ago. i have spine, hip and knee issues. But i really wish i could find something i could do. This is only day 7 for me. I think i will stick on my diet for now but a trip that is coming up is going to be a challange. How long have you been at it? Do you have any exercise suggestions?
    Nice to see so many over 60 peoople!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am also over 60, I am 67 years old.
    I also cannot exercise because of knee and hip and back issues.
    I have lost 43 pounds, just by staying under my calorie goal and drinking 8 glasses of water each day.
    Stay with it, you will lose the weight.
    Add me as a friend if you wish.