Lost 27 pounds on the Twinkie Diet

Options
Thought this was a pretty interesting read.

e: A lot of you are pointing out the flaws and negatives of this diet. I think the most important thing to take away from this is that counting calories and portion control is the most important part of weight loss. Obviously no one should consider doing this for an extended period of time in an attempt to lose weight.

Subway's Jared did the exact same thing except with subs, and he gained it all back after he stopped portioning what he ate.

t1larg.twinkie.professor.jpg
For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Replies

• cynthiamc
    cynthiamc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read that yesterday. It was pretty interesting.
  • Kristy1214
    Options
    Intresting for sure!
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    Interesting. I can't imagine how hard this diet must have been for Haub! I can't even handle one of those snacks; they make me feel sick!
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I read that. Interesting but gross. I think that after about 3 days I would just look at the snack cake and loose my appetite.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    For the record, according to the full study, he supplemented with protein shakes and "some" vegetables as well as a multivitamin. Also, he restricted his calories at a nearly 1,000 calorie deficit. There's not much in the study about how he felt during...

I imagine he was starving all the time, as sugar is utilized so quickly by your system. Sure is getting lots of press...
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    "And the American Sugar Alliance rejoiced!"

Long term, would love to see what it does to you stomach lining and blood glucose #'s...
    and lets not forget he also started the study significantly overweight.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A lot of you are pointing out the flaws and negatives of this diet. I think the important thing to take away from it is that counting calories is the most important part of weight loss. Obviously no one should consider doing this for an extended period of time in an attempt to lose weight.
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I had some people at work talking about it and I did not believe them until they showed me the link. It was really intresting, I can't get over that he lost so much. However I would never want to be in his shoes eating like that. I think I would get sick.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A lot of you are pointing out the flaws and negatives of this diet. I think the important thing to take away from it is that counting calories is the most important part of weight loss. Obviously no one should consider doing this for an extended period of time in an attempt to lose weight.

The problem I have is with the way this sort of stuff gets covered/sensationalized in the media might actually lead someone to believe that it's an effective "diet".

It does illustrate the whole calories in/calories out principle, though.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options

The problem I have is with the way this sort of stuff gets covered/sensationalized in the media might actually lead someone to believe that it's an effective "diet".

It does illustrate the whole calories in/calories out principle, though.

well, that is up to the individual to decide. I just brought it up because of the net calories concept
  • Papucho
    Papucho Posts: 138
    Options
    I always knew twinkies were good for you! Let's see my wife keep me outta the pantry tonight!
  • gcortez81
    Options
    very interesting. I'd be grossed out by that stuff after the 1st day tho lol
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Every thread about this article everyone points the flaws out. The point of the experiment was to see how important calorie counting is and as you can see, it is THE most important. That was the point. He isn't promoting this diet at all.

Also, it shows that if you have enough calories for a snack cake if you want, GO FOR IT. There is no need to cry if you do that.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options