Flat Feet, help please!!

Options
I have severely flat feet - I only used to start to feel pain during work, but it was pretty tolerable. Then I started kickboxing, and they would consistently bother me during squats, to the point where my legs weren't hurting, but my feet were KILLING me, so I had to stop to shake them out. Now, they seem to hurt during every session, whether there's squats involved or not. I just finished a class and the pain was so distracting.. I wanted to push myself harder, but couldn't, because then my feet would hurt more. And anyone that has flat feet know isn't really not a pleasant feeling...it surges through the bottom of your feet and spikes up your legs. =(

I'm wondering if I didn't tie my shoes tight enough (I've been rushing and just slipping them on without untying, lol..whoops!) - BUT, I do want to get inserts... does anyone know a particular brand or kind that's good for athletic use??

Any help would be very appreciated! I'm sooo sick of it slowing me down

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have flat-ish feet and am an ex-dancer. I went to the podiatrist for a broken ankle and in the process, he saw how my feet were and ordered custom orthotics. They're a boon.

I live in my sneakers - working out and just generally wearing them, and use my orthotics. They are transferable - the orthotics - and since they are custom-made, no problems. The kind you buy at the store just won't cut it. You have to get the mold done for your feet.

See a podiatrist and see what insurance can do, as well. Insurance paid for mine.
  • crbirt
    crbirt Posts: 12
    Options
    I know in running that with flat feet you need special shoes with extra support under the arch to keep your feet from hurting. I haven't done kickboxing but I imagine it's high impact like running. Maybe you should look at new shoes, with the supports?

2326887.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • nvkatie78
    Options
    I have almost no arches in my feet and my heels were absolutely killing me! I could barely get up in the morning. I went to New Balance and they fitted me with inserts that help alleviate the pressure off your heels and help put an arch into your foot-- they are amazing. They are kinda pricy but well worth it. I also was fitted for shoes by them and together they work wonders. I have had them for a week now.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have collapsed arches on my feet. I would suggest 1. going to a running store to have them fit you for shoes , 2. going to a chiropractor who does custom orthodics and/or 3, see an ortho who can do custom orthodics. Once you get the inserts, you might need to buy new shoes to make room for them, so you might want to do 3 last, or try one first and see if that helps. The most important thing is good arch support.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I went to Finish Line and they have some brand of gel inserts. They were $25 and well worth the investment. I put them in my running sneakers and my feet NEVER hurt. I used to get serious foot pain walking, especially on hills and long distances. I also have sneakers with good arch support.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet too and used to get super bad shin splints. I second the custom made orthodics - go see a foot doctor and they will help you tremendously!!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous. See a Podiatrist! A set of custom orthitics will see you straight. Generic pharmacy ones are a waste of time and money.
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Flat feet is a very fixable problem. I agree that depending on your budget over the counter arch support or expensive orthotics will help but the best fix to keep this problem from coming back is STRETCHING!!!! It makes a tremendous difference. My podiatrist had me do 2 two types of stretches for 3 sets of minimum 30 seconds each 2 to 3 times a day. Once all pain is gone you dont need to stetch quite as much but still daily. Just google stretches for plantar faciitis and you will get specific instructions on how to do the stretch. I have been pain free for 2 years now!
    Good luck!!!
  • Papucho
    Papucho Posts: 138
    Options
    Same problem here and for the record you can't beat custom orthotics. However, they can be pretty pricey. The Superfeets are pretty good and do relieve some of the pain, although not completely. But they've gotten me through a few marathons so I wouldn't say they're worthless. I've gone without and you definately feel the difference as you get used to them.

To sum up, if they are in your means get custom orthotics. If they're too much, do some research and you can find something decent for $25 to $40 that may provide some relief.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you want to get some that will hold up for a long time get the custom orthotics from the podiatrist. If you need something to get by with, you can try Superfeet, WalkFit, Pro Foot Care.... just google orthotics for plantar fasciitis and you will find tons. There are even some that send you a kit, you step in the mold and send it back for a more custom fit. But if it is a need for TODAY, go to the store and get the hardest non flexable shoe insert you can find. None of that soft squishy stuff.
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    thanks so much everyone!

I went to a podiatrist a couple of years ago & was about to have the custom inserts made, but it was pricey and at the time, figured I could do without. Are they comfortable for working out though? I was worried they might be too bulgy or something.. otherwise I'd definitely look into it and see if my insurance would cover it.
  • vmf04
    vmf04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Flat Feet/no arches etc...are a muscle imbalance and are completely fixable. I noticed that ALL the advice you had from people were "ORTHODICS"....but that doesn't FIX the problem really. If you really want to fix the problem, start by rolling your arches with a golf ball. There is a muscle that stretches from your calf all the way down the back of your heel and under your foot and attaches in the bottom of your foot under your big toe...hit that spot really hard with a gold ball and I bet it will be pretty sore. After you do that on each foot, there are a TON of balance exercises that you can learn that will train your arches and tighten up your ankles. Do some simple ones such as....

Stand on one leg with the other leg just barely raised off the ground (take care to keep your hips level though, don't hike up one)
    Make sure your leg that's on the ground is locked out (don't snap it into place...do it carefully) make sure to squeeze your glute on that particular leg, tighten your abs, and squeeze your quadriceps. Hold your balance with your hands on your hips. If you keep everything squeezed, you will start to feel burning in your arch and up the side of your calf. Hold for about 30 seconds keeping your body straight and only using your ONE leg for stability. Do this on the other leg and do it about 6 times on each.

If you want some more good videos for balance (which will help your arches) check out

www.coreperformance.com (it's free and all certified fitness trainers with TONS of experience do the videos...so you won't get any bad posture or improper form like on youtube...)

good luck!
    VMF
    National Academy of Sports Medicine
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Working out with orthotics is fine. I do it all the time.

Flat feet is not only a muscle problem, although muscular exercises can help. Even though I've been dancing for over 30 years, my feet still pronate unless I think about it consciously. Just working exercises will not be enough, which is why I have my orthotics.

Those exercises mentioned previously are great - very close to what I do in ballet. My feet don't burn anymore, though, because they are very strong and muscular. That said, I still use the "ORTHOTICS" because I have other things to think about during the normal, working day than just how I'm holding my feet.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why I love this site! I too have flat feet, I've had it all my life. I find that wearing heals helps but that doesn't help when you're exercising!! Yesterday during Zumba class my right foot started to ache by the end of the class it was horrible. By the end of the night my back hurt so badly i could barely walk. Great suggestions, thanks for posting and thanks for sharing.