18 yr old underweight male, some help?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My 15yo son is small for his age, too, and is very conscious about it. He does eat everything in the house, though, so sometimes it really doesn't have to do with eating. Your metabolism is just high right now and your hormones are working at finding the balance you need to put on the size you want. Good luck sweets!!!

It always has to do with eating at some level.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My 15yo son is small for his age, too, and is very conscious about it. He does eat everything in the house, though, so sometimes it really doesn't have to do with eating. Your metabolism is just high right now and your hormones are working at finding the balance you need to put on the size you want. Good luck sweets!!!

Even at his age? IDK, my son literally eats everything and anything. He is just underweight.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Maybe this will help. I'm 50 years old and always been pretty thin. After recent deployments to Afghanistan, I lost over 20 lbs and ended up about 120 lbs. About two months ago, I started supplementing my calories. (I don't eat much either, but had to do something). Get food you do like and focus on high calorie healthy foods. I make protein shakes with protein powder, whole milk, a tablespoon of olive oil, peanut butter and sometimes ice cream to supplement my meals and always after working out. I've gained almost 20 lbs. in two months. Bottom line, you have to increase your calorie intake drastically if you want to make a difference.

Thank you for your service! Also, I wanted to say that this post is exactly what it's about--gaining weight isn't rocket science but you have to be willing to do what it takes if you want results.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Even at his age? IDK, my son literally eats everything and anything. He is just underweight.

Yes. Even at his age. Energy balance is not age dependent. Age may effect energy output. He is young and he probably burns a lot of calories.

At some point if his calorie intake gets high enough he will gain weight.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, many thanks for all of your answers! It's given me a lot of motivation to do something about this now! So roughly I'd need to be looking at around 2300-2500 calories per day. It really will be hard for me to do this because I think I'll lose hope but I'll try my best!

Eating that much at your age shouldn't be that difficult. You just need to find some light calorie dense foods you like. Nut butters, avocados, healthy oils, etc. should all become your new best friend.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

You should actually start a new thread if you'd like to pursue this topic in more detail. But suffice it to say (and I don't know how old you are and your son is) compared to your calorie requirements, your son's are probably going to be higher, so it might seem like he's eating a lot to you, even when he is eating what he needs or under eating. Being male increases calorie needs, as do height, weight, lean body mass, and physical growth/maturation. Also, activity can burn more than we think. A couple of hours of brisk walking can burn up on the order of 500 calories, depending on someone's other stats. There are a lot of calculators online that use different formulas, and they give different estimates. Some give too few daily calories needed. MFP has an accurate one built in.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    GOMAD. Drinking calories is easy. As far as calorie dense foods go, nuts, nut butters, avocados, cheese. Cook with oil (like sautee veg, etc). If you REALLY simply cannot put this much food in your belleh, you could always eat a spoonful of coconut oil. Although that sounds icky to me, it's 117 calories per tablespoon. Course, PB is 95. On second thought, stick with PB.

Lift. Idk where you're from but I've bought lots of weights of Craigslist, in the Bulletin Board or in second hand stores. It's not much of an investment and doesn't take up too much space to store a barbell and some pates. As others have noted, you're in a perfect situation to gain an awesome body. I wish I was an 18 year old boy. :sad:
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a son just like you, use your young techy skills to surf the internet for gaining options. I made him a milkshake everynight, should have added protein powder, and made sure he always had food he liked to snack on all day long in the house at all times. Basics, find food you like, buy it, eat it. learn to make it, and exercise & lift as much as is comfortable. . Good luck!
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Track your intake, get on a lifting program, and monitor your change in bodyweight and increase intake as needed if you are not gaining.

^ what he said.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Track your intake, get on a lifting program, and monitor your change in bodyweight and increase intake as needed if you are not gaining.

^ what he said.

I agree with this as well. If your goal is just to gain weight, eating at a surplus to your TDEE will work. Lifting (Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 etc) will help you add more muscle as you bulk. At your age you should be able to add strength pretty quickly.

To give you an idea of how much you need to eat to reach your goal lets do some basic math:

You want to gain 12 pounds (118 to 130) by mid March. 12 pounds over about 10 weeks means you need to gain an average of 1.2 pounds (4,200 calories) a week. You should be eating at a surplus of about 600 calories a day to reach your goal.

Some people suggested GOMAD (chocolate milk works too) as a cheap and easy way to add more calories (with decent macros) and I don't disagree. That being said if you don't like milk, feel free to substitute other foods you like better. Just make sure you are consuming enough protein in order to support your muscle growth. Personally I like getting protein from pizza, greek yogurt, chicken, burgers and whey protein shakes.

Eat at a sufficient surplus and there is no reason why you cannot be 130 pounds by mid March. Good luck!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Eat more: nuts, nut butters, cheese and other calorie-dense foods.

Lift weights: I'm sure other people can give you better advice about this.

Be patient: as you get older, your testoterone level will increase and it will become easier for you to build muscle.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

I am 18 years old. I weigh 118lbs, 52kg and 8.1st to those in the UK.

I am approximately 5' 11" / 6' tall and my chest size is 34" (85cm). My waist is around 29"

I know that I am underweight, and to become a 'normal' weight, I'd need to weigh around 130lbs, around 60kg and 9.5st. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me to begin putting on weight. I'm a bit of a fussy eater and although I probably would've said I eat lots but don't put on weight, come to think of it I don't eat a lot.

I don't exercise / do cardio whatsoever, so I'm not very active. I do have a 20kg set of dumbbells, if this helps. I don't do any weights though because I've no clue whether it could do damage if I'm not putting on weight at the same time & I've no clue what exercises to do.

I am going on a school trip in the middle of March 2014 - I wanted to become a 'normal' weight by then. Do you guys think it's possible to do this and will it be hard work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again in advance

Ok, so re: weights - they will not nessicarly do damage (Providing you do them right), in fact they are a good idea - I know a few people who lift and were underweight, In fact you'd be surprised how many people in the gym have been underweight at some point (My self included - 6.5 stone at 14 years old, at 5 foot 6!!) and used weights and food to gain the weight. I've failed to find a blog that one of the lads had though, that would have been ideal

As for the training they did, they kept it basic - Squat\Deadlift\Bench\SOP\BOR\Pull-ups. Stronglifts\Starting Strength are good basic programs in the first instance.

In general.

Eat
    Train
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am now bulking on 3150 calorie. believe it or not I used to eat 1900 calories back in the day. So as above EAT,TRAIN,REST,REPEAT

AAAAnd if you dont want to train dont do it. just keep in mind that it would help you to put on some size.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Put the TV on, get that video game controller, get a bag of chips and some tasty candy. Order some buffalo wings, get a pizza, have some soda. Sit back and watch the progress.

Being someone who was overweight much of my younger life, I never could understand how people couldn't grasp the concept of gaining weight. Just eat a lot until you are at the weight you want to be.

WTF. He wants to gain weight not make himself unhealthy eating a heap of crap.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Most of the advice given to you is right on target. weights to build muscle mass, protein and good fats and healthy carbs. My 17 year old son is 5'9, 114 lbs. He runs cross country and I am constantly trying to help him put weight on and my husband has him working out with weights. He has actually managed to gain 4 pounds. Milk shakes, carbs (he loves bread) peanut butter sandwiches, fish and chicken. Did I mention that he is a VERY picky eater? He isn't a fan of protein powder so I will put instant breakfast mix in his milk shake on the sly ;). Keep track of what you are eating, make sure you are eating MEALS and snacks.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Put the TV on, get that video game controller, get a bag of chips and some tasty candy. Order some buffalo wings, get a pizza, have some soda. Sit back and watch the progress.

Being someone who was overweight much of my younger life, I never could understand how people couldn't grasp the concept of gaining weight. Just eat a lot until you are at the weight you want to be.

WTF. He wants to gain weight not make himself unhealthy eating a heap of crap.

Pretty sure that was meant as sarcasm. Too bad the OP wasn't 100% sure about that.

To answer the OP's earlier question. Yes, this method would let you gain fat, not muscle. Even as a young man, you will need to put in work to gain muscle.
  • lenoradegen
    Options
    Hi, I have a son with a similar problem. I certainly do not have it, but I may be able to help.

My son has a condition called Cystic Fibrosis, so he has a medical reason for not gaining weight. First, remember that you are built a certain way. If your parents were thin, for example, you are probably not built to be huge. So keep in mind there are normal weights for us already in our DNA.

I would recommend a visit to a nutritionist, or at least some reading up on foods and their levels of protein, carb, sugar, etc. There is some controversy about supplemental foods such as nutritional/weight gain shakes, but I have seen some huge success in people who use them. They are especially good for people who are picky eater, too busy to eat right, or unable to eat many foods.

Just a suggestion. And even though exercise can burn calories, it can also stimulate your hunger and add muscle, so if you can find an activity you enjoy, please make it part of your routine!

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!
  • Nickym26
    Options
    If your son needs any help/support or just another CFer I will gladly encourage and talk to him. I am 26 years old and have been living with CF since I was 22 months old. Maintaing weight can be tough, I however need to lose some. (my parents arent small people) Good luck in your travels and stay in touch! Breathe Deep!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm 5'11", and I look straight skinny anywhere under 160. This morning I am 200 pounds even, and I wear a size 33-34, and medium tee-shirts, so you could probably stand to gain quite a bit. Your school has a gym, and you need to be in it. You can get on YouTube for lifting routines and advice for free. I recommend a 5X5 type program, or something of that nature focusing mainly on heavy compound movements (Squats, Deads, Rows, Bench and overhead press, some kind of clean, and some pull-ups.) As for eating, calculate your TDEE and go for 300-500 cals a day over TDEE, hit your macros and fill the rest of your day with full fat foods and lift 4-5 days a week. Add in a day or two of light cardio, maybe 30 minutes or so a week. Give it time and you'll be fine.

Rigger
  • Trying2getFitNae
    Options
    Drink Ensures every day with 3 course meals... and healthy snack.. with weight lifting , that will do the trick in no time