ladies mid20s, w 10-15lbs to lose. eating more? success?

Options
I'm 28 years of age and just curious if anyone around my age has had success eating more (1400 calories+) and losing weight? I'm tired of plateauing... and I've gained weight this year with all the frustration of thinking I need to eat less. Just need some motivation/encouragement!

Replies

• annAsami
    Options
    Hey! I like this topic lol! I am 23 and honestly I did some reading awhile ago about this. I have read that bumping up your calorie intake is actually a good thing to a certain extent, not 2000 calories lol. If you eat to little, sometimes 1300 can be to little depending on how much you burn a day, you can actually cause your body to move into starvation mode which can actually cause you to gain weight. Now I haven't been able to lose weight no matter what I have tried I just stay the same (I just started back to here in hopes it will help) so I cant tell you if it works or not but I have read that it does help.
    Wanted to add that I would say try upping your calorie intake to where you want for a few weeks and see how it goes
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hi OP :smile:

I'm 23 and I've spent the last few months to get to where I am now between 1500-1900 cals/day and have still been losing weight, just a little slower. On the days I don't work out I try to aim closer to 1500 whereas the days I do work out I'll go for 1900. I got these numbers by calculating my TDEE and subtracting 5%, since I'm very close to maitenance. It's been working well, but with the holidays just passing I haven't been logging properly so I'm not too sure what my intake has been, and I've gain a few pounds so my ticker is innacurate.

Calculate your TDEE and subtract 5-10% and go from there!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 years old, and I lost the last 15 post-baby pounds in about 4 months. I always netted between 1500-1600 calories. I worked out 3 days a week, usually cardio. I did jogging, step aerobics, and a mix of boxing. Only lately have I stepped it up in a weight lifting routine.

How long have you been on a plateau? My longest plateau was 3 weeks.

ETA: After looking at your profile pics, I question whether you should lose weight at all. What is your height and what are your goals?
  • McCall89
    McCall89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 24. Started out last year at over 220lbs and stuck to an 1800 calorie diet, I lowered it to 1700, 1600 and then 1500 as I started losing but hit a plateu once I reached 180lbs/1400cals. I'm quite active at work and find I tend to lose best when I'm consuming more (1500-1800).
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Holly, I should of mentioned that those pictures are from last year. I was 135 pounds in those pictures at 5'6". I'd like to get back to that weight. I now weigh 145-147. I lost weight netting below 1200 calories and that's not the way I want to do it this time around. I got married Nov. 2012, didn't workout much the next month, and gained 7 pounds easily in December. I assume that it could be possibly because I was not eating enough and didn't really do it the right way. I've struggled all 2013 to get my weight down. I fear that eating more will not produce any results, but like I have said I do not want to go back to the 1200 calorie diet.

It's good to hear that you were able to lose 15 pounds by netting 1500-1600 calories!! I'm scared to even net 1400! I really want to give a try and see what will come of it. Did you watch your carb intake much? I also have incorporated weight training in my routine.