Trying Meatless Monday's... but I really like meat LOL

Options

Replies

• climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Black beans, brown rice, sweet potato, spinach, burrito! Cheese if you want? Mexican chihuahua cheese would be awesome~
    Add cinnamon/curry spice/cayenne powder for some interesting flavors.

Canned beans are really cheap. Dry beans are even cheaper. Beans and rice make a complete protein source. Black beans, lentils, chick peas, black eyed peas~

Tofu is so versatile, you can put it in just about anything!

Look at middle eastern/indian food for some good ideas. They have a lot of meatless dishes. Falafel is really good and you can make your own if you have a food processor. (Mash garbanzo beans, olive oil, spices. Make patties and bake. Eat with plain yogurt and tomatoes~)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    if you eat fish- it isn't meatless monday.

fish = meat.

I have never heard anyone refer to fish as meat until your post. Interesting take on the subject.

It's not an interesting take on the subject- it's reality. It's a fact.
    Fish are animals.
    Meat is dead animal.

fish are animals- they may not be mammals- but they are still animals.

That is why there are separate terms for people who ONLY eat fish meat (pescetarian) and those who don't eat meat at all.

I have a friend who doesn't like eating animals- I was like- but you eat fish- she goes to me "fish aren't animals- they are tubes- with eyes"

And while I chuckled- I thought it was sad she had to literally trick herself out of thinking it was once a living breathing animals that is now on her plate.

Now- I don't care what you eat- or how you eat it (my friend says he's a vegetarian but cant' give up sushi?? what???)- and my other friend is an amazing chef- doesn't eat red meat- rarely even eats chicken... amazing food. Still calls himself vegetarian- then back tracks and says- well not really- I eat fish still. <facepalm> But call it what it is- that's why they have names. Don't say you 'don't eat meat' if you still eat meat. It's just completely illogical to me.

I'm purely speculating- but I suspect it's just much easier to say "i'm a vegetarian" than to say other things. But I don't know- I'm firmly in the "I eat cow" camp.

I think FISH were not considered meat during Biblical times, since fish are COLD blooded animals and do not bleed Blood like a Mammel does. Warm Blooded animals are considered "Meat". We raise grass fed beef, so.. Meat is a staple at our house.

Have you ever cleaned a fish? There is blood. What do you think fish bleed?
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    White spinach lasagna
    Gnocchi arugala and corn in a homemade cream sauce (wholewheat/ low fat)
    Medeterainean couscous (homemade) great for leftovers
    Broccoli and chickpea casserole OMG it's soon good lol

I love red meat but it doesn't love me :( so I only eat it about 4-6 times a year. I eat a lot of morning star products or lean chicken. Hope that's helpful
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How about replacing meat with Chicken Ovums? Eggs are a very healthy and inexpensive source of protein.

Omelets
    French Toast
    Egg and veggie fried rice
    Egg burrito
    Egg drop soup
    Egg and cheese sandwich
    Egg Salad sandwich

I was here, thinking to myself that meatless anything sounds awful, and then I saw these suggestions and found myself corrected. French toast for breakfast, egg fried rice for lunch, and egg drop soup for dinner. Would do!

I'm really thrown by all this 'meat is expensive' stuff though. I just spent 5 dollars on three pounds of chicken legs, that's the opposite of expensive.

Edit: And yes, I have meat at basically every meal. I get cranky without it.

Where do you live? I need to fill a cooler with dry ice an shop there for a year. Even ground beef is $3.50 per pound here. If you are patient and wait for a sale, you maybe can find chicken leg quarters for $1.29 per pound. It takes a while though.

Hawaii, generally considered one of the more expensive places (food wise) to live in America.

I doubt your dry ice would last the trip home, to be honest.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Indian curries using chick peas/ lentils are delicious.
    French Ratatouille- a herby layered vegetable casserole with tomato garlic sauce.
    Italian pizzas with basil pesto, garlic mushrooms olives etc etc
    Chinese fried rice and stir fried vegetables
    Even vegeburgers- make sure you toast the bun and add the salads and delicious condiments just as you normal would.
    My husband is a meat eater and his favourite burger comes from 'the Loving Hut" a vegan restaurant!
    I imagine every type of cuisine has a meatless dish that is delicious!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Fish are meat, factually speaking.

Other poster was correct. It's a 'religious' difference.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Thug Kitchen has a ton of vegetarian/vegan recipes. Dude swears like a sailor, so if you're ears are delicate, consider this your warning.
    www.thugkitchen.com
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    - eggs
    - bowl of beans and chile w/tortillas and cheese
    - split pea soup
    - vegetarian pasta dishes (there is an array)....my favorite is putanesca
    - salads
    - PB&J
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I'm giving it up for only 1 day a week and to help save money. Our biggest food cost is meat so if i can cut back on how much we eat it would really help.

Lentils are versatile and cheap, specially if you buy them in bulk, remember to use spices.

http://www.food.com/recipes/lentils-vegetarian
  • JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love a classic PB and J. I REALLY love it after its been in the frying pan :) My diet concern is always sugar so when I do this I use the reduced sugar jelly!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    if you eat fish- it isn't meatless monday.

fish = meat.

I have never heard anyone refer to fish as meat until your post. Interesting take on the subject.

Muscle tissue is muscle tissue.

Alternatively, as my partner puts it; nothing with a face.

Tuna, swordfish, salmon are all described as having a meaty texture.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ok so my husband and I are avid meat eaters, first of all, but with the cost of meat rising as well as our waist line I'm thinking of introducing meatless Mondays. What are some recipes that are meatless and you don't miss the meat (I hope that makes sense.) Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Hmm, I really enjoy meat dishes but my partner is vegetarian so I rarely eat it. The effect has been that when I do buy it I spend the money to get a good cut, take the time to prepare it and enjoy it more. I've also found that my palate is more discriminating in general.

But to answer the question:

Three bean chilli with plenty mushroom, pepper, courgette.
    Curry with Paneer
    Okra curry
    Veg tandoori
    Grilled halloumi
    Vegetable shish kebab
    Homity pie is essentially potato and veg
    Lentil pasty
    Pasta sauce with tomatoes, mushrooms, jalapeño, pepper
    I do a nice pasta sauce with feta and broad beans
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    We usually have red meat only once or twice a week, other days fish or chicken, and at least one 'meatless' dish a week, either eggs or pasta dishes... macaroni cheese is one of my favourites. Part of the lessons we have to learn is that we need variety, and we need to be moderate in all things - and as my undoing is biscuits and chocolate, I now try 4 chocolate free days in the week... leaving Wednesdays and the weekend for chocolate (this week is a week off because of all the goodies around). Have not yet tried a biscuit-free day... though maybe could have some days where I just have savoury biscuits instead of sweet - possibly on the days I have chocolate.
    My grandmother taught me that you never had butter AND jam on bread or toast - either butter alone, or jam alone, and that has helped me over the years so that I hardly ever have butter. And my mother's rule was that you never had chocolate until the afternoon at the earliest, so I have continued that one. But I never learned good fruit and vegetable habits, and still do not like eating them... but have taught myself in the last 5 years to try to have the recommended 5-a-day. And it has now got to the point where, if I have not had fresh fruit when I am away, I get to craving it.
    And I agree with one of the comments about portion size... when we do have meat, I have much less than I used to!!
    So good luck with your 'meatless Mondays' and maybe try 'Fruity Fridays' and 'Sugar-free Saturdays' too. Anything to bring in a more balanced and healthier diet!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Matt24442
    Options
    dV2S91f.gif
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I first stopped eating meat, I found the key to not missing it is NOT trying to just substitute meat with mock meat, tofu, or vegetables. Most of these things have a different flavour and texture from meat, and so tend to be disappointing if you do a straight sub.

I'm vegetarian now, but here are some dishes that are favourites when I bring them to pot luck with omnivores:
    - vegetarian chilli (onions, cumin, chilli flakes, basil/oregano, beans, tomato, carrot, corn, cark chocolate)
    - lentil and vegetable bolognese - very good when combined with white sauce to make lasagne
    - pot stickers (tofu, almonds, pumpkin, carrot, onion, sauces/seasonings wrapped in gow gee pastry)
    - rice paper rolls (with vegetables and marinated tofu, I do a lime marinade which is delicious)
    - minestrone soup
    - butternut pumpkin soup
    - spinach and fetta pie
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I don't bother doing this for the health benefits. When all you eat is extra lean meat anyway, there really are no benefits to missing one day.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I too find myself shaking my head at fish and various seafoods turning up in recipes labelled vegetarian. I eat meat, in small amounts, and was raised by a pescetarian, and one of the most personally confronting things I still find is peeling a prawn. If tearing a little head off something doesn't constitute as a living, breathing meaty thing, I don't know what does. I can understand the religious/biblical background to it, but people are kidding themselves if they are promoting themselves as veggo/meat free and still eating flesh.

But ANYWAY.

Vegetable curries are filling and delicious and work beautifully for meat free meals-many traditional curries already are. Potato, peas, pumpkin, cauliflower, beans-whatever you have on hand, lentils (dahl) and chickpeas and sultanas can be yummy too. You can serve it with whatever you have on hand, depending on here your curry was inspired by (middle eastern, thai, indian, etc.) but rice, cous cous and quinoa all work well and are budget friendly.

Stir fries are great too, and soups can be wonderful; I find ones I blend to be more filling and satisfying. I add potato if I want it to be creamy and smooth, and save calories by skipping cream in all the recipes I come across. A small chunk of nice bread on the side is nice too. Or you can go down the asian noodle soup route, be it laksa or a clear broth, add in lots of fresh veg and some rice noodles or soba, or even egg noodles.

Mushrooms make good substitutes for 'meaty-ness' too, they are nice as a burger 'pattie' or just with three veg and gravy.

Go for flavourful, filling food, and you will not notice the meat 'missing' as much.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meatless meals is a black bean and sweet potato burrito. Use a flavorful salsa, avocado as toppings.

Another way to cut your food bill is to use less meat. I make a killer soup that uses just a bit of spicy sausage, lots of vegetables, beans and broth. Delicious, cheap, low cal and filling.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Happy Herbivore cookbooks - the Pad Thai is to die for and only 330ish calories (and super filling!)

Also check out PlantBasedOnABudget.com - I make a lot of their recipes too. The African Peanut Stew is my favorite <3
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I don't bother doing this for the health benefits. When all you eat is extra lean meat anyway, there really are no benefits to missing one day.

Exept her reason for doing meatless monday was to save money. And lean meat and any higher quality meat is going to be really expensive compared to lentils and beans.