One minute on the lips... Forever on the hips!

Options
I can remember my mom telling me that every time she indulged as she yo-yo'd on every diet out there.

So here's the deal.. and I'm going to be quite honest.. I like snacks. I am a pure victim of the horrible food industry as we know it and I am willing to admit it. But, I am looking for some decent snack items to have every day, and also ones that travel well.
I do a lot of travel (I manage a 7 state territory) and get a lot of windshield time. What are some healthy alternatives to get at the gas station? A person can only eat so much fruit and veggies in one day, and if I have the calories left, why not ?
So this is where you all come in...

Just looking for better snacks to get or make... if you have anything that isn't as bad as that Snickers, that you find is equally as good (doesn't just have to be chocolate), please share!

-Jeff

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I like nuts...That's what she said joke aside. I also like yogurt but I don't think that falls into travel well territory. Sometimes I mix in a protein bar with much chocolate. mmm chocolate.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Some snacks I enjoy are:

2 oz of dark chocolate a day is FULL of antioxidants! 2 oz is actually quite a bit too
    Sugar free chocolate pudding (can't even tell its lacking sugar and only 60 cal)
    Sugar free jell-o (10 calories a serving!)
    Vitatops - soo yummy and only 100 calories!
    Almonds, walnuts, pistachios...
    Veggies and dip made with greek yogurt not sour cream (brings the dip to a mere 22 calories and 0 fat for a serving!)
    Fruit
    Smoothies made with yogurt, fruit and skim milk
    Chocolate milk (I drink after every workout instead of protein drinks - can't swallow them without gagging at the smell)
    Baked Lays
    Triscuits and a wedge of laughing cow cheese
    Deli meat rolled up with low fat cheese
    Vanilla yogurt with fresh fruit
    No sugar added hot cocoa with sugar free cool whip

That's all I can think of off the top of my head..

You can carry a small lunch cooler with you to keep things cold, too!
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unsalted cashews. 100 calorie snack packs.
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always a good choice, ideally almonds or walnuts. Just be careful as they tend to be oversalted. If you can find raw nuts, that's the best. Or carry some Clif Builders bars with you - high in protein, come in different flavors, and travel fairly well, plus they use all natural ingredients.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There's tons out there. If you don't mind quite a few calories but really filling, trail mix is a great option. I actually really like the "lifestyle" cookie options, especially the bran crunch. Just keep trying to find things you like. Get lots to drink on your road trips even if it means more pitstops, dehydration can lead to the munchies!
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You could TOTALLY buy healthy snacks and prebag them...things your like. But bag them in portions so you can't/won't eat more than that. One snack I really like is pineapple in a can, those kashi bars are good too! Good luck!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of Natural Almonds (unsalted) and have the serving size (24 pieces). Very filling!

I also buy yogurts.

Fiber One snack bars are a good option.

VitaTop muffins are amazing and have so many vitamins!!! They're so delish too!!!

A V8 Low Sodium may be a good option every once in a while.

Cereal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody loves cereal! LOL

Good luck!
  • rpbabs
    rpbabs Posts: 16
    Options
    Weight watchers has several lo-cal snacks. Maybe you can stock up before you hit the road!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/shop/categoryshowcase.aspx?pageid=1056611
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Go here:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=2172

Yeah yeah yeah it's hungry GIRL but whatever- this link is for 100 calorie snacks (not just the 100 cal packs) this may help with your quest. :bigsmile:

Don't envy your windhield time friend. 7 states is a HUGE territory.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Ann's House Good Health Energy is an awesome snack mix: dried cranberries, almonds, pumpkin kernels, sunflower seeds and soy nuts. A bit o sweet mixed in with the salty and it's filling. You can usually find it at Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ann-s-House-Good-Health-Energy-16-oz/12443377