Thyroid cancer then weight gain..(lots)

Options
Hi, I'm new and I am kind of skeptical because of my new medical condition and diet.

Has anyone had a thyroidectomy and because of this have you gained weight because it killed your metabolism? I had thyroid cancer a year ago , underwent a thyroidectomy, and I have gained tons of weight. My body just "blew up" for months after this! Everything I ate went on my body. Unbelievable.

I will be hypothyroid for the rest of my life and I don't know if this diet will work. I'm quite nervous actually. My doctor suggested this site, so I am here, but I have been pretty sick for the past year with hypothyroid symptoms. I read this and that, eat no gluten, or just protein and salad, or take supplements for hormone production....I'm confused and discouraged. And one thing is for sure, I don't want to gain any more weight, I have never been this heavy in my entire life! The medication I need to take is at the proper level apparently. I have also developed plantar faciitis and heel spurs now because of the sudden weight gain and it hurts very much when I walk. So that's out for excercise.

On a positive note....My now husband is a complete doll, he has been with me all through this and is very supportive even though when he met me I was in terrific shape, but I need to get this weight off now. I've had enough of this.

Can anyone relate to this? I would love to find someone who has knowledge about this condition.

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't relate but I know there are great people on here who can.

We lost my lovely father in law to thyroid cancer, and it feels damn good to see someone else kick it's *kitten*! Way to go!!
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    Thank you! I'm very sorry to hear that. They did get it early, I was lucky.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Edited to add that I gained 20 lbs. before I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I was prescribed Synthroid, then lost the 20 lbs. over the next year (on ever-increasing doses).

My endocrinologist claims Synthroid = cure. I don't think it's quite that simple. But I'm living proof that you can lose weight with thyroid problems. (Albeit slowly.)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new and I am kind of skeptical because of my new medical condition and diet.

Has anyone had a thyroidectomy and because of this have you gained weight because it killed your metabolism? I had thyroid cancer a year ago , underwent a thyroidectomy, and I have gained tons of weight. My body just "blew up" for months after this! Everything I ate went on my body. Unbelievable.

I will be hypothyroid for the rest of my life and I don't know if this diet will work. I'm quite nervous actually. My doctor suggested this site, so I am here, but I have been pretty sick for the past year with hypothyroid symptoms. I read this and that, eat no gluten, or just protein and salad, or take supplements for hormone production....I'm confused and discouraged. And one thing is for sure, I don't want to gain any more weight, I have never been this heavy in my entire life! The medication I need to take is at the proper level apparently. I have also developed plantar faciitis and heel spurs now because of the sudden weight gain and it hurts very much when I walk. So that's out for excercise.

On a positive note....My now husband is a complete doll, he has been with me all through this and is very supportive even though when he met me I was in terrific shape, but I need to get this weight off now. I've had enough of this.

Can anyone relate to this? I would love to find someone who has knowledge about this condition.

I had this problem over 25 years ago, have been on medication since then. From my personal experience it is very had to lose weight, but not impossible. You will have to exercise harder than the normal person. What I have done is to give up all process foods, try and stay away from white foods (flour, rice, potatoes), I eat them now an again, but is very conscious about it.

I also gave up eating meat/chicken/seafood (but that was my personal choice) you do not have to go to that extreme. I only eat salt water fish and wild salmon. I find eat fresh water fish eg. tilapia. I pay particular attention to sodium (have made it my enemy) and sugar. I eat a lot of high fiber, iron and protein foods.

I am very conscious of what i purchase when grocery shopping and always read the labels first. I stay away from products that have in soy and do not eat tofu. I use to eat those things and find that was some off, ever since I feel a lot better. I have lost 24 pounds since February 2013, so yes counting calories can be done with our disease, but it is a long road.

Sorry if I repeated myself. I was shocked at the change to the log in page.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • e88y1117
    Options
    Hi there!! I read your post and knew I should connect with you! Early this year I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder that has caused hypothyroidism. I have been taking hormone replacement medications ever since! I am fairly active but nothing too extreme and have not altered my diet in anyway since being diagnosed. I realize now that I must being to try and understand this condition more as I am gaining weight. I just purchased a book about hypothyroidism because I am uncomfortable with symthoms and weight gain!
  • Petersbrandy
    Petersbrandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer almost 2 years ago. I had already started my weight loss journey, and I did gain some weight for a bit. I would say don't do yourself the disservice of resigning yourself to a life of hypothyroidism- I have been hyper and hypo at different points along the way, and have finally achieved a balance, and am back to losing weight. It is at a slower pace than it was pre-surgery, but it was truly the wake up call I needed to get on track and stay there. I lose more slowly now, but I gain more easily, so I can't afford to not eat well and exercise often. I was very, very diligent in 2013 and still only lost 30 pounds. I gained and lost the same 15 pounds a few times while my hormone levels swung wildly.
    Also, it's not uncommon to swing into hyperthyroidism while you are trying to find the right level of thyroid hormone, and I actually welcomed it because I thought it would mean more energy and weight loss, but it was terrible. I think I'd rather be hypo than hyper.
    Thyroid cancer was no fun, and there have been some very unpleasant things to adapt to along the way. But I am truly thankful, because it has caused me to value my health more, and I am now closer to my goal weight than I had been in the previous ten years. Weight loss is not impossible without a thyroid!! I have done things I never would have thought to do before, because I am on a mission to reclaim my health. I've run several half-marathons and am training for my first full marathon in March. I started rock climbing. When I was looking online for support after the surgery, all I could find was people saying nothing was the same, the weight gain would not stop and life was just awful. I really don't think it has to be that way. If ever you want more specifics about the way I eat or exercise, I'd be happy to share.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    Hi. I know what you mean, I've also bought books, and I have tried to educate myself other ways but the docs insist that normal dieting and exercise will work. They act so calmly about this as I run to the mall for bigger clothes. Alot of info is contradictory. I'm going to make a serious effort with this and see.
  • sweet_chks
    sweet_chks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i've just gone through a three month cancer scare myself, and had a complete hysterectomy. i am also hypothyroid and have had difficulty in losing weight. i found my hormones so out of wack and would suffer headaches, almost daily, with no amount of medication helping so i decided to look at it from a different perspective. i needed to get my hormones in control. for me and many hypothyroid patients, it is simply your body burning out on you. your adrenal glands get overworked, your liver isnt functioning properly, your cortisol levels go up (they're all connected). i'm no expert, i' ve learned this from my naturopath and after following her instructions and starting on some UNDA drops, my headaches have disappeared completely (this was before my surgery). my recommended diet (which i followed religiously before my surgery) consisted of lemon water all day long beginning with a mugful of warm lemon water first thing in the morning - this is a natural way to detoxify. my recommended lunch and dinners were simple 75% vegees, seeds, legumes and 25% protein. before my surgery though, i really dosed up my greens intake so i would heal faster so a great dairy free smoothy is 1 banana, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and a few handfuls of fresh organic spinach with a little water) - trust me the banana makes it delicious! my naturopath's instructions were strict but i was adhering to most things anyways - no alcohol, no caffeine, no white starches, no dairy, no wheat. and she hasnt been a freak about it (its not never) its just more days of do than dont . i lost 30 pounds. consistency, and my fitness pal really helps keep you within your daily goals. and thats just it a daily goal. 1 day at a time, one meal at a time, be kind to yourself and if you have something you're craving, have it. thats my best advice . also i take my hypo medication in the middle of the night so there's no food in my stomach - caffeine can be a real problem with weakening the medication. Good luck to you, love yourself, be good to yourself and realize we are all just treadding along in life trying to find out way.
  • Petersbrandy
    Petersbrandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's controversial- but I have found going gluten free has made the difference in my weight loss since the thyroidectomy. Weight loss always used to mean burning more calories than consumed. It just makes mathematical sense until you throw something like this in! I've also heard of people having better success with a somewhat carb restricted diet, but I haven't given that a try. Although cutting gluten out has probably lowered my carb intake. I feel better now than I did when I had a thyroid. I pray the same will happen for you! Don't ever give up! :)
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    I had a thyroidectomy due to cancer almost 2 years ago. I had already started my weight loss journey, and I did gain some weight for a bit. I would say don't do yourself the disservice of resigning yourself to a life of hypothyroidism- I have been hyper and hypo at different points along the way, and have finally achieved a balance, and am back to losing weight. It is at a slower pace than it was pre-surgery, but it was truly the wake up call I needed to get on track and stay there. I lose more slowly now, but I gain more easily, so I can't afford to not eat well and exercise often. I was very, very diligent in 2013 and still only lost 30 pounds. I gained and lost the same 15 pounds a few times while my hormone levels swung wildly.
    Also, it's not uncommon to swing into hyperthyroidism while you are trying to find the right level of thyroid hormone, and I actually welcomed it because I thought it would mean more energy and weight loss, but it was terrible. I think I'd rather be hypo than hyper.
    Thyroid cancer was no fun, and there have been some very unpleasant things to adapt to along the way. But I am truly thankful, because it has caused me to value my health more, and I am now closer to my goal weight than I had been in the previous ten years. Weight loss is not impossible without a thyroid!! I have done things I never would have thought to do before, because I am on a mission to reclaim my health. I've run several half-marathons and am training for my first full marathon in March. I started rock climbing. When I was looking online for support after the surgery, all I could find was people saying nothing was the same, the weight gain would not stop and life was just awful. I really don't think it has to be that way. If ever you want more specifics about the way I eat or exercise, I'd be happy to share.

Thank you!
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer 3 years ago. Right after surgery I lost a lot of weight because my replacement dosing was to high. I gained the weight back and then some when my dosing was adjusted. If I am honest with myself, I gained the weight because I was eating too much. I always exercised. Once I decided to watch what I eat it hasn't been that difficult losing weight. I eat gluten and have no issue at all with it.
  • CallistoQuinn
    CallistoQuinn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer more than a dozen years ago, had my thyroid removed and radioactive iodine and have been on thyroid replacement meds ever since. The first thing I want to say is congratulations on being one year cancer free.

I also want to ask if you're absolutely sure your meds are at the right level. It took a year or two of tinkering before mine were adjusted to my and my endocrinologist's satisfaction. They affect your metabolism but they also affect your state of mind. Too high and I was anxious and short of breath. Too low and I was depressed and lethargic. I hated that period because I felt out of control of what was happening with my body. Weight gain and loss were out of my hands and dependent on the dosage of the pill I took every morning. I was much happier once those highs and lows were smoothed out and my weight gain could once again be attributed to something I actually did.

I haven't found weight loss to be much different post surgery except it takes longer to take the weight off. There is a lot of discouraging stuff on the internet about thyroid problems and weight loss. Ignore it. Reading it makes you feel bad and most of it isn't true anyway. As long as your meds are correctly adjusted, counting calories and exercise will work for you. It'll take some time but you'll get there if you keep slogging away at it.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Actually, my naturopath did suggest gluten free and I do feel much better, but deprived still. I have to get it in my head that I have to eat differently than other people. I feel kind of desperate now and I need progress right now because I'm sick of how i feel and look physically. Obviously that won't happen. I have to learn to take this one day at a time too.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer more than a dozen years ago, had my thyroid removed and radioactive iodine and have been on thyroid replacement meds ever since. The first thing I want to say is congratulations on being one year cancer free.

I also want to ask if you're absolutely sure your meds are at the right level. It took a year or two of tinkering before mine were adjusted to my and my endocrinologist's satisfaction. They affect your metabolism but they also affect your state of mind. Too high and I was anxious and short of breath. Too low and I was depressed and lethargic. I hated that period because I felt out of control of what was happening with my body. Weight gain and loss were out of my hands and dependent on the dosage of the pill I took every morning. I was much happier once those highs and lows were smoothed out and my weight gain could once again be attributed to something I actually did.

I haven't found weight loss to be much different post surgery except it takes longer to take the weight off. There is a lot of discouraging stuff on the internet about thyroid problems and weight loss. Ignore it. Reading it makes you feel bad and most of it isn't true anyway. As long as your meds are correctly adjusted, counting calories and exercise will work for you. It'll take some time but you'll get there if you keep slogging away at it.

Thank you! I have also noticed high anxiety and shortness of breath....as well as other symptoms like sweating. The doctor insisted everything is fine with the med level. I don't know what else I can do.
  • littlebBigB
    Options
    For what it's worth, I did not have a thyroidectomy, but I am hypothyroid and my synthroid was making my appetite go through the roof. I starting eating twice as much. I read up on taking my pill at night and found that they no longer say that you can only take synthroid in the morning. I started taking it at night and sleeping through my crazy cravings. The weight has been coming off much better now. Almost falling off with mfp. Of course make sure your doctor approves.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I need progress right now because I'm sick of how i feel and look physically. Obviously that won't happen. I have to learn to take this one day at a time too.
    I totally understand. I'm all zen now about losing 20 lbs. in a year, but the first 6-8 months were really, really hard. I mean, "Biggest Loser" contestants drop double digits in a week! Never mind one day at a time, I sometimes had to take it one meal at a time.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer 3 years ago. Right after surgery I lost a lot of weight because my replacement dosing was to high. I gained the weight back and then some when my dosing was adjusted. If I am honest with myself, I gained the weight because I was eating too much. I always exercised. Once I decided to watch what I eat it hasn't been that difficult losing weight. I eat gluten and have no issue at all with it.

I will be honest here, I haven't yet altered my eating habits from before the surgery when I had no problem with weight. I know now that it is necessary that I watch what I eat I'm just not excited about it :). I'm excited to try it here. Thank you.
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    This is the first time I am able to talk to others for support about this. So thank you to everyone I really feel encouraged!! I appreciate the posts!

:flowerforyou:
  • brown41stacy
    brown41stacy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had papilary thyroid cancer 12 years ago, gained 50 pounds during it all, this site has helped me and id love to be friends to help encourage each other