Cold Water or Hot?

Options
I've heard 2 things. I've heard to drink cold water and your body will burn more calories trying to bring it to body temp. And I've heard the same of hot water, but in reverse.

What's everyone's view on this?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same about cold water, which is part of why you aren't supposed to drink it while working out.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I know that with cold water you do burn calories because your body heats it up but I am not sure with hot water.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm told that though your body will technically work harder to heat up cold water, the amount is really insignificant. It's like the myth that celery is negative calories. At the end of the day, you might as well just drink your water however you prefer.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I would tend to think cold water would be the way to go becos it will cool you down when you work out... if you drink hot water, I am sure you would overheat.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I drink cold water.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm told that though your body will technically work harder to heat up cold water, the amount is really insignificant. It's like the myth that celery is negative calories. At the end of the day, you might as well just drink your water however you prefer.

I thought Celery had such a low caloric amount that chewing & digesting it used more calories than what it actually contained.

ie: Large stalk Celery has 9 Calories.... to digest could (im not sure of the numbers) use around 20 calories?

:blushing: I :heart: Cold water! (any tiny benefit is still a benefit... even if its only 2 cals!)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Just drink water. Your body needs it. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. It's similar as someone mentioned, to the celery myth.
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    Water is going to be important to drink, whether its cold or hot. If you're going to be able to decide the temperature of your water, the best way to go is room temperature. Cold water can damage the lining of your stomach, slow down your metabolism and shock your body!!

Something more important to consider might be where you are getting your water from! Unfiltered sink water is generally a bad idea!!
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That totally depends on where you are... i know that they have done tests here and find that tap water is the same if not better for us than bottled... Im in Australia... =)