How to stay full?

Options
Hi Community,
I am just wondering what foods or nutrients you find that keep you full. I know that often times coffee fills me up, or fizzy drinks, and often times protein. What do you find that fills you up? Is there a certain "food combination" to follow?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat and fiber. In that order.
  • JSkorna
    Options
    Water
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Foods that are high in protein and/or fiber will do the trick.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this. stop relying on food that will simply just take up space and eat food that's nutritionally dense. that will keep you feeling full
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ~10g fiber and ~30g protein usually does the trick for me. :)
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options

^^ Yup. For me, this means things like Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and celery.

Peanut butter was the most amazing discovery. I noticed that people tended to sing its praises on forums, so I decided, what the heck, let's see what it does for me. Two tablespoons on a piece of whole wheat bread gives me a nice, steady fullness that doesn't quit.
  • scroogy
    scroogy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    vegetables followed by water keeps me full forever
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Would change the order to fat, protein, then fiber. Fat is the most satiating just stay away from trans fat.

Full fat plain Greek yogurt
    Almond nut butter
    Olives
    Cheese
    Avocado
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't want to "stay full"

That's why I'm fat..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Would change the order to fat, protein, then fiber. Fat is the most satiating just stay away from trans fat.

Almond nut butter
    Olives
    Cheese
    Avocado

This. Although I add fat by cooking with ghee or coconut oil (or blend it into my coffee), homemade EVOO mayo, wild salmon, eggs, some nut butters (love walnut and macadamia), coconut milk/fresh flesh
  • ngyoung
    Options

That's why I'm fat..

If you can't find a diet where you actually feel satisfied with the food you eat on a regular basis you are not going to have long term success. If you have to will yourself to not eat when you're hungry eventually everything will come crashing down.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Almond nut butter
    Olives
    Cheese
    Avocado
    For some, not for others. For me, I need balance. A high-fiber complex carb, a hefty serving of protein and just a little bit of fat do it for me. I once ate 1200 calories of macadamia nuts in one sitting without feeling full. Fat just doesn't take up enough room in my stomach, and I'm left feeling mighty hungry.
  • ngyoung
    Options
    I will say nuts can be a problem for some people, they are calorie dense and like you said you can quickly eat a lot of them before you start feeling full. I try to have some volume when I am trying to stave off a craving.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options

this. stop relying on food that will simply just take up space and eat food that's nutritionally dense. that will keep you feeling full

Yes. And to add another layer, try to think of it this way. Feeling full isn't the answer. Feeling satisfied is. And that happens when you give your body the nutrients (both macro and micro) that it needs, even if you're eating less calories than you burn.
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    bump
  • altarimage
    altarimage Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fat may offer the most calorie per gram ratio, but protein is the most satisfying from a nutritionist standpoint :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

/thread
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

That's why I'm fat..

I prefer the term "satisfied" to full. You shouldn't want to be stuffed full - but instead feel satisfied when done eating.

And I agree with the others - protein & fiber.
  • gingerlocks13
    Options
    Eat 6 small meals/snacks of the combos mentioned above, a day instead of 3. I eat every 3-4 hours. Helps you stay full. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me when to eat my meals.