checking out whey protein powder

Options
have ya had luck with protein powders, thinking about drinking it for breakfast, is it filling? or just cost alot?

Replies

• wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder every morning after the gym: Elite Gourmet Protein - Vanilla Cream

mix it with water
    1.2 - 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
    ground flax seed (Spectrum with berries)
    1/8 avocado

keeps me from getting too snacky hungry.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble meeting your protein requirements than it is worth the investment. Otherwise...it is not necessary.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Yes, my protein powder led me straight to a leprechaun stash, I have had lots of luck with it.
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It wont fill you up as much as eating something like a grilled chicken breast, and honestly the price of tuna/chicken is comparable to a scoop of protein powder but with lots more nutritional value.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    have ya had luck with protein powders, thinking about drinking it for breakfast, is it filling? or just cost alot?

It depends on if you believe in Transubstantiation or not. Some think it turns into the real thing and becomes the actual body and blood of Christ. Others believe that it's just a representation or a symbol and that they remain unchanged and only provide substitutions as stand ins for the actual items and are not in fact the items themselves.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It depends on if you believe in Transubstantiation or not. Some think it turns into the real thing and becomes the actual body and blood of Christ. Others believe that it's just a representation or a symbol and that they remain unchanged and only provide substitutions as stand ins for the actual items and are not in fact the items themselves.

oze7WgO.jpg
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Adding fruit and some additional fiber will make it more filling.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't cost much. Whey gives you more protein per penny than anything besides roadkill.

There's nothing magical about whey. It's just protein from milk. Just focus on hitting your calorie and protein targets. I need about 130+g of protein a day, which is really tough to do without having a protein powder once or twice a day. Whey is cheap and palatable so I use it.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast - it's grab-n-go and keeps me full for 3-4 hours, and I am one of those eat-every-3-hours people. I make mine with protein powder, fruit, vegetables, flax or chia seeds, and various spices.

Anyway, it's just fine as a supplement - if you can't/won't eat what you need, it's better than doing without.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use protein powder with berries. Makes a pretty filling snack. I also like Muscle Milk Light.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I'm an RNY patient, so I have had lots of experience trying different protein powders. My favorite, hands down, is the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie flavor. Tastes like you dunked an entire box of Thin Mints in milk and then drank the milk...cookie bits and all!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Optimum Nutrition 100% Pure Whey Isolate-Vanilla. Was on sale last month at Costco. Kind of pricey but it is pure isolate and not concentrate. Vanilla makes it easier to add to recipes. I add cocoa powder if I'm craving chocolate.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options

oze7WgO.jpg

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile....thank you!:love::love:

BTW, I do use unflavored whey from time to time. Sometimes I add it to the yoghurt I am having, because my protein in-take is low. Sometimes it is a part of fermentation for a vegetable or grain dish I will be preparing--see Nourishing Traditions cookbook.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time and it very filling!
  • CoachFusion
    CoachFusion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add Fat. . .coconut oil, flax (for women), peanut butter (all natural) or olive oil are key ingredients. . . cck is the appetite suppressant you want activated (it is activated by Fat). . . CHO (carbs) is stored as fat. . .protein in too high an amount also converts to CHO when it is not used. Food for thought:)
    Also, rotate your proteins. . .and if they give you gas, throw it out and get another one. . .
    allmax allwhey is cost effective and I have not had a client yet say it bothered the stomach. . .

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I buy EAS chocolate, you can get it at most super markets and like CVS and stuff, it's about $30 I think for a tub with 23 servings, 150 calories each serving and 26 grams of protein. So that's like $1.30 per serving for the same amount of protein as 4oz of grilled chicken, so I think it's a good investment. I have it when I'm not meeting my protein needs and usually after a workout, it doesn't always fill me up but it has defintely helped me keep the pounds off cause for the same calories as a serving of chips or pretzels or other snack foods, I grab that and it tastes like cold hot chocolate (or if you make it in milk, so add 86 more calories for skim milk and 8 more grams of protein, it tastes like chocolate milk) so it has its uses, and it lasts a long time so you dont' have to worry about it going bad or anything.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have it in my coffee a lot of mornings - like other people use creamer...

I add it to the cup first - then sometimes a tablespoon of chia to the powder - toss well (reduces the chia clumps later) and pour coffee over so it covers the dry. Walk away a minute - come back - stir like crazy - finish filling cup - stir again... enjoy.

If I want a latte taste I add some sweetener and/or vanilla.

I have used Jarrows plain whey protein and EAS Vanilla whey - like them both for my coffee. I stick with whey - whether it's isolate or concentrate - whey all the way!
  • frugalfitmom
    Options

Optimum Nutrition 100% Pure Whey Isolate-Vanilla. Was on sale last month at Costco. Kind of pricey but it is pure isolate and not concentrate. Vanilla makes it easier to add to recipes. I add cocoa powder if I'm craving chocolate.

I use Optimum Nutrition too. It blends perfect straight from the shaker cup without clumps and it's the only powder I can drink straight up without any additional ingredients. I like the Double Rich Chocolate. :)
  • riskybizness02
    Options
    I use PGX (polyglycoplex) meal replacement shakes bionatural I believe is the brand. It is soooo filling and because High in protein, it levels out blood sugars and curbs cravings too.. I love it.. I drink it every day.
  • Otrogen
    Options

I use Optimum Nutrition too. It blends perfect straight from the shaker cup without clumps and it's the only powder I can drink straight up without any additional ingredients. I like the Double Rich Chocolate. :)

Exactly what they're saying xD. I've tried a couple different ON whey flavors, and my main staple is the Double Rich Chocolate. I use mostly water to mix it up in a blender bottle, add maybe just a dash of almond milk for taste, and it's like drinking slightly more bitter nesquik chocolate milk. It's a real treat!