327 the week of thanksgiving, 295 today (dec 31)

I'm 6'1, 25 years old, male.

Should I be worried?

I achieved this through a combination of exercise and healthier eating, plus one meal replacement shake that I usually take at night, or for lunch if I have dinner plans.

Anyways, I know a big chunk of it is water weight, but old clothes that didn't fit me are starting to, and people have been complimenting me and telling me I look thinner, I'm motivated but also worried, I know a person shouldn't lose more than 3-4 pounds a week, but then again, I'm a big guy so I know weight goes off easily at first. Idk, I'm just looking for opinions, is 31 pounds in a month ok?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    How many calories a day are you eating? Do you log?

You have quite a bit to lose, and likely lost a lot of water weight the first couple of weeks. It may or may not be healthy depending on how much you are calorie restricting. Not enough information in your post to know for sure.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Are you doing any weight lifting? If you're not you should or you will lose a good amount of muscle on the way down. 30 pounds in a month is extreme, yes some of it is water, but still. The guideline is to not lose more than 1% of your body weight per week, otherwise a good portion of that weight loss will be muscle and that's not ideal. Eat plenty of protein, and try to lose weight at a healthy speed so you can be sure that most of the weight loss is coming from fat loss. Best of luck
  • I don't really log, but for breakfast I usually have egg whites with a mini bagel and turkey ham or cream cheese, lunch consists of chicken salads mostly, or salmon with grilled zuccini, snack on fruits (apples, watermelon, pineapple) nuts and "60 cals" yogurts and for dinner just the shake which is 180 cals. I probably have red meat once or twice a week when I'm going out. No soda or alcohol.
  • Thanks! I do some weight lifting but not enough, I definitely need to work out on that. My main problem is that I have something big coming up in feb and I wanna lose as much as i can before then, not planning on doing anything drastic, I just wanna keep doing what I've been doing until know and hope for the best, but I don't wanna kill myself in the process, lol, not that I'm feeling weak or anything tho, quite the opposite, I feel energetic and clean most of the time.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I don't really log, but for breakfast I usually have egg whites with a mini bagel and turkey ham or cream cheese, lunch consists of chicken salads mostly, or salmon with grilled zuccini, snack on fruits (apples, watermelon, pineapple) nuts and "60 cals" yogurts and for dinner just the shake which is 180 cals. I probably have red meat once or twice a week when I'm going out. No soda or alcohol.

If I were you, I'd definitely consider going with the TDEE - 20% method for calorie intake, and tracking what you're eating, because it sounds like you're just trying to cut calories, and for a guy of you're size, you're not eating nearly enough. Light breakfast, light lunch, and 180 calorie shake for dinner? I'm 185 pounds and I'm steadily losing weight on 2000 calories a day. I'm guessing by what you wrote you're eating in the neighborhood of 800-1400 calories a day. You absolutely need to eat more.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Thanks! I do some weight lifting but not enough, I definitely need to work out on that. My main problem is that I have something big coming up in feb and I wanna lose as much as i can before then, not planning on doing anything drastic, I just wanna keep doing what I've been doing until know and hope for the best, but I don't wanna kill myself in the process, lol, not that I'm feeling weak or anything tho, quite the opposite, I feel energetic and clean most of the time.

No event is worth your health.