quest bar law suit

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Legally, calorie content on labeling can be out 20% and most take advantage of that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I posted a thing about this in the original quest bar thread- I presonally don't understand the hype of quest bars anyway- so I'm not really shocked... I'm never shocked about anything that "seemed too good to be true" in the first place.

A big fat meh.

Sorry for the people who put their hopes and dreams into the bars- but meh.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    wait, who gets the pay off if its found they did mislabel?

The lawyers. As it is in every class action.

AMEN! :explode:

Clearly you two know no lawyers. It's not quite that sample and you seem to be forgetting that but for the lawyers' work on class action suits there would be no "pay off."
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It is hard to know what is accurate anymore. Here is a company that accurately states what is in their protein bars. They even have certificate of analysis they can offer. A certificate of analysis or COA is a third party laboratory testing of the product that shows the results of what is in the product with a break down of protein, fiber etc.

http://www.ratiobar.com/Default.asp

All of which is how all foods are analysed. The list of nons for those bars is interesting, at least 2 of which are impossible to guarantee. The certificate is a sweet idea, it may even persuade some to purchase.

But STILL they will have to use the 20% variability. Why? Because the bars will contain a mixture of foodstuffs that vary in kcals and nutrients naturally.

As for the Quest suit, I wonder if they will sue the individual concerned when they have finished?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Plaintiff seeks...disgorgement.

Heh. Makes it sound like plaintiff wants them to stick finger down plaintiff's throat and induce vomiting up of questionable product!

Legalese, always amusing until you have to wade through it for real.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I would not be shocked at all to find out that majority of sports drinks, bars, powders etc are in the same boat having false information on them. I mean if the science part was perfected there would be a time when just taking 1 pill a day would do enough for your body to shed pounds easily.

? That made no sense whatsoever.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Did anyone read the whole article or just the complaint?
    “Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate
  • missability
    Options
    I have been using Quest for months....not as a replacement, just stumbled on to them over the summer, and thought they looked much better than the "glorified Candy bars" that are out there, and would come in handy over summer vacations, trips to the beach, etc......
    I have lost 101 pounds, in this year, 2013, and 126 total....and have 30+ to go....
    I read the whole article, and in the interest of fairness I think everyone should read Quests rebuttal:

Quote by QuestNutrition:
    “Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate.
    Make no mistake, Quest Nutrition will not back down in the face of what we believe are attacks based on lack of good information. The outpouring of support from our customers and supporters on this issue has been overwhelming. We’re very grateful for the support, and we want to assure everyone that we are committed to bringing the highest quality products to our loyal fan base. We have nothing to hide and we look forward to a very visible public refutation of these unfounded claims.”
    - See more at: http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-nutrition-lawsuit/#sthash.fQTphnrU.dpuf

I for one will continue using them, as the rebuttal says, ANYONE can say ANYTHING in a lawsuit/claim,....SO until the claims are substantiated by an independent unbiased 3rd party....I will continue on my QUEST to my goal, and a happier healthier ME! :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have been using Quest for months....not as a replacement, just stumbled on to them over the summer, and thought they looked much better than the "glorified Candy bars" that are out there, and would come in handy over summer vacations, trips to the beach, etc......
    I have lost 101 pounds, in this year, 2013, and 126 total....and have 30+ to go....
    I read the whole article, and in the interest of fairness I think everyone should read Quests rebuttal:

Quote by QuestNutrition:
    “Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate.
    Make no mistake, Quest Nutrition will not back down in the face of what we believe are attacks based on lack of good information. The outpouring of support from our customers and supporters on this issue has been overwhelming. We’re very grateful for the support, and we want to assure everyone that we are committed to bringing the highest quality products to our loyal fan base. We have nothing to hide and we look forward to a very visible public refutation of these unfounded claims.”
    - See more at: http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-nutrition-lawsuit/#sthash.fQTphnrU.dpuf

I for one will continue using them, as the rebuttal says, ANYONE can say ANYTHING in a lawsuit/claim,....SO until the claims are substantiated by an independent unbiased 3rd party....I will continue on my QUEST to my goal, and a happier healthier ME! :)

Well, in all honesty, would you expect them to say anything else? Of course they are going to defend themselves. It doesn't mean anything in regards to how honest their labeling is.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Most of the protein bars are little better than a candy bar. Eat real food.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think there should be some privacy until there is a judgement.
    That's insane. Nothing about the legal process should ever be done behind closed doors.

Anyway, just as filing a lawsuit doesn't require any real evidence, neither does disputing one. Time will tell where the truth lies...
    Most of the protein bars are little better than a candy bar. Eat real food.
    Or just have a real Snickers bar instead of a faux Snickers bar....
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    WOW now that makes sense, I was eating a bar every single day and eating the same amount of calories and not dropping weight, as soon as I cut out the quest bars I dropped the weight. Gonna make the switch to Victory Bars :)
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    WOW now that makes sense, I was eating a bar every single day and eating the same amount of calories and not dropping weight, as soon as I cut out the quest bars I dropped the weight. Gonna make the switch to Victory Bars :)

Erm...... that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Erm...... that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yeah clearly if they were 20% more calories, the whole 40 calories difference would account for your lack of weight loss.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Every "class action" I have some personal experience/knowledge of works out EXACTLY as the original comment implies. The lawyers involved get great sums of money, and the wronged parties get certificates, or discount coupons, or a paltry amount of money. That's why there's no shortage of lawyers willing to do the "work".......................
  • Chal1976
    Options
    Where I work has Quest bars. When I found out about the lawsuit, I decided to research it. After looking at a numbers of articles, it looks like the "science" is not how the body digests the fiber in Quest bars.
  • Chal1976
    Options
    They are not diet bar. if you are not drinking a lot of water with them, then you won't weight.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    We are such a dumbed down, money hungry society that wants to sue and get monetary payouts for anything and everything.

SMH. America is the land of free loaders.

If people stayed away from the packaged food like products, you wouldn't have to worry about mislabeling and such. SMH, such a lazy, dumbed down society we live in today

Yes, I do agree!!!!!!:drinker: I can't afford to buy these bars or others like them. I make some great protein bars on my own about on a weekly basis and refrigerate them.