Will this work for low cal PB?

Options
karissastephens
karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
soooo I know there are lower calorie peanut butters you can buy but I am BROKE and none of the stores near me carry things like PB2 and such items

I wanted to order it online but it came to be around 22 bucks just for PB! ahh...man...college breaks you...

So I was thinking will mixing 2 TBLSP of PB mixed with nonfat plain/vanilla yogurt be an low cal. alternative to PB ?? I know it may be kinda liquidy but a spoonful on rice cakes and such?

Any ideas on how to make my peanut butter addiction LOW CALORIE!? :laugh:

Replies

• karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too...never thought about making pb low cal! :)
  • trachnurse
    Options
    I dont know how the yogourt and peanut butter thing will work out, but there is a new peanut butter out that is whipped, so it takes more space thereby decreasing the calories per tablespoon. I wonder if you could just whip your peanut butter and achieve the same effect. Good luck!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Better 'N Peanut butter has only 100 cals (40% less than regular peanut butter) and 2 grams of fat (85% less than regular peanut butter) for 2 tablespoons. It is yummy, it's almost like dessert! I buy it a Trader Joe's. Check out this link to their website for more info:

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

There is a store locator link on the site.

Lucy

p.s. It' only a few bucks or so for a jar!
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Better 'N Peanut butter has only 100 cals (40% less than regular peanut butter) and 2 grams of fat (85% less than regular peanut butter) for 2 tablespoons. It is yummy, it's almost like dessert! I buy it a Trader Joe's. Check out this link to their website for more info:

Lucy

I have none of that where i live either....waaaaaahhh :sad:
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a genius in the kitchen so this may not work at all, but what if you tried making your own peanut butter? Low salt peanuts (or maybe a healthier nut? or does it have to be peanuts?), really low fat spread, bit of sweetener in a blender or just mashed together? Hmm I'm not sure how well this would work lol... but as a fellow student I highly recommend kitchen experiments. So fun! (even if they're a bit disgusting :tongue: )
    If not, I think the yoghurt idea's pretty good.

I just searched peanut butter after writing this. Clearly I have NO idea how it's made. But livestrong have a recipe

http://www.livestrong.com/article/90000-make-own-lowfat-peanut-butter/
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    there are so many alternative nut butters out there, even wal-mart carries some.

Personally I just skip PB and use Nutella. It's way healthier :P
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I actually incorperate peanut butter into my eating now. It is so much better for you than a lot of things out there available to eat quickly. I dont really like it so I dont gob it on thick. Peanut Butter on whole wheat and baby carrots make a great lunch
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What ever works for you! Try less of it and still get the taste!...:wink:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The Commissary started carrying PB2, I saw it and was super excited. Have you checked other sites that sell it maybe in 2 packs or something?
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options

Lucy

I am a peanutbutter FANATIC and ever since I started mfp, I havent had any. I did try Nutella but it just didnt do it for me, lol. I found a store just down the street via the store locator on the site you listed, that carries Better N Peanutbutter... I will DEF be getting a jar of it today. THANKS A MILLION!!! :)))
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I just looked and the "Better n Peanut Butter" is sold at Super Target!! I had not seen it in Publix or Walmart Grocery....I am going to pick some up this weekend!! I love peanut butter. :happy:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    to make a tblsp of pb go farther, you can mix it with a tblsp or so of raw canned pumpkin. i know it sounds weird, but i spread this on a rice cake with some pumpkin pie spice and loved it! pb is also good mixed with yogurt. it makes a great dip for red grapes or banana slices. mmmmm
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Better N' Peanut butter. Have it every morning.

That said, I don't think your peanu tbutter yogurt thing would work on, say, a sandwich but it may work as a dip.

Also, I've found greek yogurt reminds me of cheesecake. So if you mix it in that it may pretend to be a peanut butter cheese cake. I'm going to have to try that. I have some vanilla and some PB2.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options

Lucy

I am a peanutbutter FANATIC and ever since I started mfp, I havent had any. I did try Nutella but it just didnt do it for me, lol. I found a store just down the street via the store locator on the site you listed, that carries Better N Peanutbutter... I will DEF be getting a jar of it today. THANKS A MILLION!!! :)))

You are going to be SO happy.

It has a bit of a different texture and flavor so be prepared. But it is my go to every day.
  • fitinyoga14
    Options
    there are so many alternative nut butters out there, even wal-mart carries some.

I have to disagree with you on the Nutella is healthier statement. The best types of nut butter for you are the natural ones only containing one ingredient: nuts!!. you can easily find the natural forms of peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc. ...
  • karissastephens
    Options
    The Commissary started carrying PB2, I saw it and was super excited. Have you checked other sites that sell it maybe in 2 packs or something?

I have and it comes to around the same price as the 4 pack...which is laaaammee.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    to make a tblsp of pb go farther, you can mix it with a tblsp or so of raw canned pumpkin. i know it sounds weird, but i spread this on a rice cake with some pumpkin pie spice and loved it! pb is also good mixed with yogurt. it makes a great dip for red grapes or banana slices. mmmmm

ooohhh this sounds YUMMY! I love pumpkin ANYTHING haha...does it still taste like PB though??
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    Thank you for bumping this lol. I forgot I was going to do this.

I just got a chobani vanilla greek yogurt and mixed in PB2.

Woah. It's wonderful. I just need some low fat chocolate wafers and I'll have a peanutbutter cheesecake
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with you on the Nutella is healthier statement. The best types of nut butter for you are the natural ones only containing one ingredient: nuts!!. you can easily find the natural forms of peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc. ...

Oh darling, sorry, I was being factitious. I just love Nutella and totally disregard how unhealthy it's hazelnutty cocoa goodness is!
  • fitinyoga14
    Options
    Karissa, yes it still tastes like peanut butter. obviously you can taste the pumpkin and spice a little bit as well. if you want to skip the spice, the pb flavor will most likely take over the pumpkin anyways.

fattygoesrunning, thanks for the clarification. I personally know to stay completely away from nutella because i will become addicted without a doubt. :laugh: