Feeling "faint" and headache / (nausea)

Options
I am on the 1300 calorie diet.... Which I do a fairly good job of keeping up with during the day. BUT by the time I get home I have a headache, nausea, and I feel "faint" .

I work out on top of this, and eat a very small meal.

I continue to have my headache until I fall asleep , or until I throw up (after taking my medication ) and then eat a larger quantity and fall asleep

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to prevent this ?

I want to continue to diet as well as exercise, ideally at 1300 calories. What foods are more filling ? for example

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you burn during your workouts? If not, your net calories are less than 1300, which could explain the faintness and headache.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Consider upping your calories. Are you going by what MFP set for you or are you using the TDEE method?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your calorie deficit is way too large. Dehydration can also play a role in this.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    People tend to feel this way with an aggressive goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Headache and fatigue can both be signs that you're undereating or lacking in nutrition. Did MFP set that goal for you? If so, are you set to lose two pounds a week? Most people choose the most aggressive goal that the site will let them, whether it's recommended or not. It looks like you don't have much left to lose. You'd probably be better off resetting your goals to 1 pound or eve 1/2 pound per week.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Simple as that.
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    These are definitely signs of overtraining and/or not enough calories. How much do you weigh currently, and how tall are you? How intense and long are your workouts? I would be happy to help if you give me these numbers.
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    Also let me see your journal.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Check out your macros - making sure you are getting your hydration cared for and that you are getting your nutrients. JMO.... I suffer headaches some days and find that I need more fluids. Or that I did not take in enough potassium.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    Sounds like your blood sugar is bottoming out; check your levels.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar. Try and have a small snack later in the day! Almonds are one of my favorites. Keep a small bag in your car/purse/desk and have 10 or so when you start to feel funky.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It sounds like low blood sugar to me too. An apple would boost that up quickly. If you're exercising a lot, make sure you're not having a huge calorie deficit, and drink lots of water.
  • spchandr
    Options
    These are definitely signs of overtraining and/or not enough calories. How much do you weigh currently, and how tall are you? How intense and long are your workouts? I would be happy to help if you give me these numbers.

I weigh 156 lbs and I'm 5 ft 5 in.

My workouts are currently about an hour long but I stop at multiple points in between so I don't think I'm burning too many calories. Maybe 100-200 per workout.

My diet is always so breakfast heavy that I tend to run out of calories by dinner time :(
  • spchandr
    Options
    I want to lose 15 lbs.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you earlier this year when I found MFP. I starting eating more calories and it all went away.

I followed the MFP 1 lb a week weight loss plan AND ate back most of my exercise calories. I also got 8 hours of sleep and drank around 10 cups of water every day. I was able to lose 40ish pounds this way. I am close to my goal (10 lbs or so) so I lowered my goal to .5 lbs a week weight loss AND still eating back my exercise cals.

Try increasing your cals by eating most of the cals you burn in fitness and see what happens.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You eat the calories so that your body will keep functioning properly and heal properly after your workout. That's why you eat your workout calories. Feed the machine or your body will break down.

I tend to eat back half of my workout calories.

Are you staying hydrated?

Anyways, if you want people to help in the forums, open up your food diary.
  • rokiany
    Options
    Agree with everything above, but also, if you are vomiting every day, that is really bad for you. If you are vomiting right after taking medication (within about an hour), you are likely vomiting UP that medication and so not getting what you were prescribed. Go talk to your doctor!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1300 calorie diet.... Which I do a fairly good job of keeping up with during the day. BUT by the time I get home I have a headache, nausea, and I feel "faint" .

I work out on top of this, and eat a very small meal.

I continue to have my headache until I fall asleep , or until I throw up (after taking my medication ) and then eat a larger quantity and fall asleep

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to prevent this ?

I want to continue to diet as well as exercise, ideally at 1300 calories. What foods are more filling ? for example

Log your exercise calories and then Eat them Back. ALSo try a TDEE calculated cal goal for awhile to see if you can lose weight on higher cals. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1300 calories, you work out an hour, you have headaches, nausea, fainting and throwing up.
    Listen to the signals, your body is screaming for more food!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1300 calories, you work out an hour, you have headaches, nausea, fainting and throwing up.
    Listen to the signals, your body is screaming for more food!
    Yup, assuming she's not...pregnant.