I just don't feel comfortable..

Options
Since I've started calorie counting and I'm loosing weight - I just don't feel comfortable. It sounds silly but I almost feel like I'm not 'finished' yet and I don't want to go out, and I feel like I look huge on pictures etc. it's weird because I feel like I'll be happy once Ive lost weight and am happy within myself, but until then I just feel uncomfortable. Sorry I just needed to rant, does anyone else feel like this at times?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Take lots of before & during pics. They document all your hard work, and maybe help show you the truth when you're feeling uncomfortable.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Since I've started calorie counting and I'm loosing weight - I just don't feel comfortable. It sounds silly but I almost feel like I'm not 'finished' yet and I don't want to go out, and I feel like I look huge on pictures etc. it's weird because I feel like I'll be happy once Ive lost weight and am happy within myself, but until then I just feel uncomfortable. Sorry I just needed to rant, does anyone else feel like this at times?

i used to and then i started strength training. kinda hard to feel crappy about yourself after you've lifted up more weight than you ever had before.
  • kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've thought about starting strength training but I just don't understand it really. I thought you had to have a calorie surplus whilst strength training, but to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit ( this may be a silly question) but that's what I don't understand. I also don't know where to start when it comes to lifting weights either.

& I have started taking pictures documenting but I've only been at it around 7 weeks I think so I've not saw much results on my body yet even though i've lost 11lbs.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've thought about starting strength training but I just don't understand it really. I thought you had to have a calorie surplus whilst strength training, but to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit ( this may be a silly question) but that's what I don't understand. I also don't know where to start when it comes to lifting weights either.

& I have started taking pictures documenting but I've only been at it around 7 weeks I think so I've not saw much results on my body yet even though i've lost 11lbs.

You only have to have a surplus if you want to bulk up. Strength training helps you maintain the current muscle while you're losing weight as long as you're eating plenty of protein, etc... I've gained a couple pounds of muscle in the last year just by eating at a deficit and doing Insanity and T25. (I get a regular body composition analysis..)
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

i used to and then i started strength training. kinda hard to feel crappy about yourself after you've lifted up more weight than you ever had before.

Word.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have started taking pictures documenting but I've only been at it around 7 weeks I think so I've not saw much results on my body yet even though i've lost 11lbs.
    11 lbs. in 7 weeks? That's amazing! Well done, you. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

you do not need to eat at a surplus to strength train. you can eat at a deficit and strength train and get considerable stronger, and cut your body fat.

you will reach a point where you're not getting considerable stronger, but that is way down the road.

and if you are wondering where to start: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • kieran9810
    Options
    Oh okay, firstly thanks for all the advice and the link! I think I lost it in quite a short amount of time because I literally did no exercise before, and then suddenly i'd cut down my calories by 500 a day and was working out twice a week for 45 mins each time. I have been doing some training trying to build strength, I've been doing push ups, sit ups, squats with a kettlebell and just things like that but I think the next thing for me is strength training using the dumb-bells.
    So say I start strength training, When I've lost all the weight I want to lose.. How will i look? I want to look toned/defined but not really muscly if that makes sense?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, firstly thanks for all the advice and the link! I think I lost it in quite a short amount of time because I literally did no exercise before, and then suddenly i'd cut down my calories by 500 a day and was working out twice a week for 45 mins each time. I have been doing some training trying to build strength, I've been doing push ups, sit ups, squats with a kettlebell and just things like that but I think the next thing for me is strength training using the dumb-bells.
    So say I start strength training, When I've lost all the weight I want to lose.. How will i look? I want to look toned/defined but not really muscly if that makes sense?

You won't accidentally gain too much muscles and look like me. It takes lots of hard work to try to look like you have big muscles.
  • BreeJaxon
    Options
    Look at my pics!! I lift heavy and hard sweets, I used to weigh 200 lbs girl, lifting weights is where you will see the results you want!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    like usmcmp said, you won't accidentally become muscular. just keep training.
  • kieran9810
    Options
    Ok. Looking into strength training now, It's going to be my new years resolution :)
    Thanks for all the advice and Happy new year!!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You are a 19 year old guy and you dont want muscles...You have muscles already. You have the natural ability to get stronger but its takes LOTS of hard work to get huge.
  • kieran9810
    Options
    Lol No I do want to have muscles but I want to look toned, I don't want to 'ripped' lol.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Lol No I do want to have muscles but I want to look toned, I don't want to 'ripped' lol.

dude, this doesn't happen by accident. keep training, and eat at a deficit.

do me a favor, post a picture of a guys physique that you would like to look like
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Well that's the problem, you are loosing weight instead of losing weight.
  • kieran9810
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post pictures but I'd like my body to look like this:
    http://www.maximumpop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Jai_Janoskian_Shirtless.jpg

and ah yes! i see the problem now. I'm just gonna blame autocorrect on my phone!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post pictures but I'd like my body to look like this:
    Jai_Janoskian_Shirtless.jpg

and ah yes! i see the problem now. I'm just gonna blame autocorrect on my phone!

He lifts and has low body fat. Start lifting now and you'll see some beginner gains. Talking to a trainer about a quality program and appropriate calorie deficit will get you started. Start doing research on your own. It won't happen overnight, but within a few years you could be there if you are dedicated.