Stopping those cravings!

Options
I find it really hard to stop myself from eating, when I get hungry. I'm talking about when your mouth gets hungry, not your stomach. I usually start bad habits like chewing my nails, because my mouth is hungry/bored. I also like to eat little and often.
So, anyway, does anyone have any advice on what to do, and how to stop myself from being 'mouth hungry'.
I usually drink water, but if anyone knows anything.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Reported so a mod can remove that referral link.
  • wheird
    Options
    I find it really hard to stop myself from eating, when I get hungry. I'm talking about when your mouth gets hungry, not your stomach. I usually start bad habits like chewing my nails, because my mouth is hungry/bored. I also like to eat little and often.
    So, anyway, does anyone have any advice on what to do, and how to stop myself from being 'mouth hungry'.
    I usually drink water, but if anyone knows anything.

This is just a force of habit that you're going to need to learn to overcome. Smokers also struggle with this as they tend to miss the ritual of going out for a smoke and the feeling of it between their lips.

In the interim, I'd suggest munching on something low calorie, like raw veggies, until you're able to master the habit.
  • Mazella55
    Mazella55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea, I suppose fruit would help aswell. Thanks!
  • wheird
    Options
    Thats a good idea, I suppose fruit would help aswell. Thanks!

Fruit is a less than ideal option as they are much higher in calories for the same amount of mass.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots or celery. Actually, cherry or grape tomatoes are awesome, too and taste better. I got carroted out long ago, so don't overdo :D
  • mooglekitten
    Options
    drink water through a straw
  • 12souza
    12souza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feed the craving but slowly decrease over time. For instance I used to knock out a small 10" pizza by myself. Craved it the other night and ate half. Ate the rest spread out the next day.

I crave chocolate at times, and found a Chocolite Crispy Caramel snack and it takes care of my chocolate craving pretty well at 60 calories per package w/ 12 grams of fiber. Works good for now