What to do with beef heart?

Options
Lynn_babcock
Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
We raise grass-fed beef and this year I ended up with a beef heart.. frozen into 2 halves. I've never eaten it.. frankly I was hoping somebody would buy it at the Farmers Market this Summer.. but no such luck. So... who here cooks it? I imagine it would be tough.. but I don't know. What does it go good in? Does it have normal beef flavor? Personally, I'm imagining it tasting like duck... or like chicken gizzards. Would LOVE you suggestions/input/knowledge!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey friend! I grew up on a beef farm so we always seemed to have beef heart. My mom always cooked it in a crockpot with shallow water and some seasonings, similar to how she cooks a roast. We ate it similar to a roast - sliced, maybe some bbq or steak sauce on top. Leftovers were usually used for a sandwich. It tastes different than other beef. It is much leaner and I think it is higher in iron. I haven't had it in years. My mom never cared for it much but my dad loves it.
  • djstatick
    djstatick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's basically super lean muscle meat. You want to cook it super slow, like the other poster said. I usually slow roast mine, then just cut it up into slices. If you have a grinder, you can grind it with some fattier meats (pork is awesome for this) and make some delicious burgers.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    305742679.gif?1306265224
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    canned chili (like hormel or store brand chili) contains beef hearts, so I would assume you could use it in a homemade chili.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    We have always cut it in thin strips and fried it with some onions and salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Slice it kinda thin, roll in it in flour, fry it until browned, take out of frying pan, put into a pot of boiling water,boil for about 20 minutes, make gravy, chop in some onions, and add to the pot, then simmer until tender, serve with rice and hot biscuits.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had been hoping to come across some beef heart to try the recipes from this site but I have not yet had the luck:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/main-dishes/organ-meat

I have had it bbq'd in the past and it is very tasty. The site has a recipe for a roast as well as for bbq. They both look good.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We love this cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices and pan fried with gravy. Season as desired, flour, and fry in olive oil until desired level of doneness. I like mine pink in the middle. Remove meat and make the sauce/gravy. Serve with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and veggies. Or just serve with veggies. I'd have this meal with roasted brussels sprouts or broccoli if I had the chance. You don't see it in the meat market very often. The way you make this diet friendly is with strict portion control.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We slice ours into one inch thick slices, rub with favorite seasonings and then put on the barbecue like a steak. Best meat ever, bar none!! It is sweeter than regular beef and not tough at all. Enjoy!!
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really want to try beef heart so bumping for ideas :)
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Throw it out or feed it to your dogs, that stuff is nasty. My dad used to make us eat it as a kid and I've been traumatised ever since :sick: