I've had an epiphany!

Options
So my goal is to stay on track until Thanksgiving and then I'm going to let myself splurge on Thanksgiving Day. By then I will think I've earned it because I've been looking forward to this day since last year lol! The day after will mean back on track until Christmas. What do you guys think? It's ok if you think it's a bad idea, but I'm still going to do it!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I think its ok! It's a holiday! I would just still be wise on portions. If you want something have a little and don't completely stuff yourself. I wouldn't limit what you eat but how much of you eat. That's what I'm going to do! And as long as Thanksgiving and Christmas don't become week long holidays like for so many people they do! I am bringing some healthy dishes to my mom's for Thanksgiving this year as well. I will probably eat a great dinner but then have a small piece of pumpkin pie for my splurge - def well deserved!
  • laurapro
    laurapro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for myself and I just decided it wasn't worth it. The whole goal of tracking my calories is to break the habit of overeating and my epiphany that splurging on the holidays would just negate all my hard work. So, I'm sort of compromising with myself. Eat whatever I like, for go counting the calories bc it would be really hard while hosting family anyway, but try to only eat a few bites versus an entire serving of everything like I usually do at Thanksgiving. 1lb = 3,500 calories to gain and another 3,500 to work off....not worth it. Good luck and happy holidays!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I think it's okay, but you may not be able to do it! I tried to splurge on my birthday and discovered that since I haven't been stuffing my face constantly my stomach has shrunk to a nice little size that can't eat nearly as much! I was absolutely stuffed all night! Be sure to watch your portions so you can enjoy everything :drinker:
  • deedleedee
    Options
    In my opinion, weight loss isn't about deprivation. It's about learning to eat the things your body needs - and the thing you really like in moderation. Where we go wrong is not letting ourselves have a treat for 3 months - then binging (we've all told ourselves - I've worked SOOO hard, I deserve this!). Have Thanksgiving dinner, but maybe use a smaller plate than you normally would to help you keep from going overboard. Enjoy it all, just eat until you are full and then STOP. Don't stuff yourself until you're miserable, if you want seconds wait a few hours and have a little more. Above all - LOG IT. Even if it's a terrible day, LOG IT. I know you'll do great =)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It's ok if you think it's a bad idea, but I'm still going to do it!

There you go, then.
  • andreadawn1012
    andreadawn1012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! yeah I had planned on logging it, but I definitely know it's not going to look pretty. I'm really just looking forward to stuffing and pumpkin pie lol!
  • firstdaughter
    Options
    I think it's a good idea. It gives you something to look forward too. I want to try the same thing but not go crazy. Increase my calories by a bit on something special but still log the food. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I will be so happy with my result
    before Thanksgiving I won't want to go off program.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im sure everone is gonna splurge a little on thanksgiving and xmas (you knw special occasions) its ok to do once in a while just work out extra hard the week before and after. i know i plan on eating what i want
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Of course, let yourself have a day to enjoy. I intend to do the same thing, but I'm still going to watch my portions and not over indulge on the holidays. I'm also going to make a few of my recipes a little lighter and prepare less food so I'm not eating leftovers for a week because I don't want to waste them.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! yeah I had planned on logging it, but I definitely know it's not going to look pretty. I'm really just looking forward to stuffing and pumpkin pie lol!

dont forget gooey green been casserole :drinker:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am hosting the T-Day dinner for family here, so they get what I feed them! Don't worry, if they leave my house hungry it is their own fault! I did the Christmas dinner last year, and have been voted the official Turkey cooker in the bunch. We didn't even have enough meat left on the 20lb bird for a sandwich! (8 people). I haven't quite decided what all to cook, but there will be the Bird and cornbread stuffing, potatoes and gravy and crescent rolls (all requests), after that....
  • Hollisterrps
    Options
    If you think about how many calories your body needs to maintain its current weight and then take into consideration how many calories you are eating to LOSE weight I think it would be ok to take a break on Thanksgiving and Christmas and eat the calories to just maintain for one day.

For many of us, if we use this advise, we can eat an extra 1000 calories for the day. Also, go do a huge workout the night before or that morning and EARN those extra calories we all want.

I have often use eating extra calories to jump start my metabolism when my body starts fighting the losses I have achieved. I think it is good to confuse the body.
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's not the craziest idea. You will realize you are gonna feel full faster because of the reduction in your calories prior to Thanksgiving. So even if your mind is telling you you're gonna splurge, it may not be that much.

I love to taste different foods, not eat a complete serving. Try that, it may not seem so bad. Besides, you don't want to feel miserable and not be able to enjoy savoring the taste of the foods. So drink a glass of water before you eat. Make sure you get your veggies in, and then taste everything else.

And just to be on the safe side, make sure you get in your workouts. Do some kind of exercise on Thanksgiving and make sure you get it in on the day after.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    I'd gain about a million pounds if I did that...My parents are divorced and so is DH's...You know how many Thanksgivings and Christmas's we have. Ugh. Turkey day for me I have 2 dinners to go to. One is and afternoon dinner, and the other is dinner dinner...ugh. I am going to be STUFFED the entire day!!!