Burning out/resting day

Options
Hi all,
So last year I got on the fitness train and ate healthy, counted in/out, etc. I worked out every day, very rarely rested. I did kettlebells for 20-40 minutes a day and then cardio again over my lunch, and alternated upper and lower lifting daily. I felt AMAZING...
Until I hit a brick wall. I went too hard and didn't rest, my body shut me down and I quit all together. It wasn't sustainable.
Since then, I have been fighting myself, trying to get any motivation back. I finally got it last week!

So I am trying to do this as a lifestyle. I'm trying to rest 2-3 days a week so I don't burn out (at least for now. Today is a resting day for me.

My problem is that I WANT to work out. I love it. It's an appetite suppressant, it boosts my energy, etc. So I was thinking maybe I could just hop on the treadmill at 3 or 2.5 and take a little walk, lol. Would that still be resting day? Is that recommended, or should I honestly not do any extra exercise? I don't want to hit a wall like that again, advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being a little active, even on rest days. I think a walk is a great (low impact) idea.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Its called active rest. I work on my flexibility and stretches on rest days.

I have 3 kids and a deployed husband. Rest days are impossible in my house
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Walking and flexibility training should be fine on your rest days.
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio because it just overall makes me feel good as well as I've been adding in strength training, but even on rest days I still do a little on the elliptical:)
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I spin 3 days a week, and do strength training right after. Total of about 90 minutes. My off days are just that - off. I do some stretching and sometimes take walks around the block. I stand / walk a lot at work (as a librarian), so I am not as worried as I used to be that I wasn't getting enough activity in on my off days. I got a striiv a few months ago and seeing that I actually walk about 2.5 - 3 miles a day just around the library has made a big difference. I'm an all or nothing exerciser. If I am not hitting it 100%, 100% of the time, I feel horrible. Finding the balance is so so so important for people like us! I have the exercise balance now - found out that I love spinning and using free weights, and cycling when the weather is nice, so I don't feel like I'm punishing myself into being fit. Now it's the diet that needs to find balance!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Gentle yoga is great on rest days, I think. I don't do any of the positions that take a lot of strength in a muscle I worked the day before, but most don't take that kind of strength and the flexibility work is great.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I have a desk job, so I think a little treadmill time will be perfect to reset, re-energize, and keep my eye on the prize. :)
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I walk every day, unless ill, and lift six days a week with no adverse effects.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rest day doesn't mean you just sit around doing nothing...it just means you're taking a rest from strenuous exercise. I do yoga on my rest days as well as walk.

Really, your fitness regimen should be balanced and include days of lower intensity and days of higher intensity and days of active rest...this will help prevent the "burnout". Your fitness is a lifetime endeavor...so you need to workout in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life.

Also, maybe try different things. I don't really burnout per sei, but I get bored repetitively doing the same **** over and over...so basically I have "seasons" and cycles and do different forms of exercise during those cycles. Also, a lot of my exercise is what people would consider "recreational" activity like hiking, etc...this also keeps the boredom at bay.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I always walk at least at couple miles on rest days. Many times 5+.