How to deal with hunger?

Options
I am taking it slow and only doing a daily calorie deficit of 250, ( which is actually probably more like 500 considering what I have been eating over the holidays ). Even then I still feel hungry alot. Usually between lunch and dinner. I've tried adding snacks like peanut butter and cheese, but I think it just makes me more hungry. Suggestions?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I drink water to make sure that I'm not misinterpreting my body's signals of thirst with hunger. Then if I'm still hungry, I eat something.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I drink water to make sure that I'm not misinterpreting my body's signals of thirst with hunger. Then if I'm still hungry, I eat something.

This.

I have a glass of water, wait for a bit and if I'm still hungry I have a small snack and go from there
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good snack ideas under 250, high in protein: apple and greek yogurt, babybel light and flax wrap with some arugula, string cheese and apple, plain greek yogurt with cinnamon, almond meal and raisins, 70 calorie Boca burger on a sandwich slim with arugula. And yes, lotsa water!
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    I take off for a walk. For my bodyweight, etc, a one-mile walk = 100 calories burned. But it also seems to control hunger very well, so it's kind of a two-fer. If I am still hungry after I get back (a mile is <20 mins) then I'll eat an apple or something, which is satisfying and is more than erased by the walk itself.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The more protein I pack into breakfast and lunch, the more satiated I am until dinner.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat food.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Exercise curbs my apetite and that is when I go to the gym or run or bike.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat often. Drink water. Brush your teeth take a shower these things sometimes distract me. Exercise even if itm means some pushups or squats. I try to eat every 3 hrs but everyone is diff.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is keeping my blood sugar stable. When it's moving up and down a lot, I have a lot more trouble with cravings.

So what others have said is true - eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3 large meals. You'll feel better doing this too - the dreaded "afternoon slump" is your blood sugar levels crashing after eating a big lunch. I find I have a lot more consistent energy through the day when I eat small meals.

Eat protein and complex carbs instead of sugar and simple carbs (pasta, white bread, etc). Actually getting off what I call the "sugar roller coaster" helped me a lot - when I eat sugar I crave more sugar, because of blood sugar and insulin levels going up and down.

Exercise and water definitely help too. Learn to understand what real hunger is vs perceived hunger. When you haven't eaten in a while, you're hungry and your stomach is grumbling, that's physical hunger - that's different from "I'm bored and feel like eating".
  • HMDurham005
    Options
    I know when I first started tracking calories and eating healthy I had hunger pains for the first week or so...mostly at night. I normally would drink a glass and a half of water which helped tremendously and if I still felt slightly hungry, I would sleep it off. I used to be concerned about eating when I felt hungry because I had this belief that if I didn't my body would consume muscle and I would be back to square one. It didn't happen though. As long as I exercised that day and met my calorie goal, I was burning fat and those weeks where I had hunger pains at night were my biggest weight loss weeks. I'm not saying that you should always feel hungry in order to have weight-loss but if you've met your calorie goals for the day and feel satisfied with your level of activity then don't feel pressured to eat. It's just your body complaining because of the changes. Eventually, it will subside and adjust to these new changes. I would definitely recommend eating more protein and healthy foods that are more filling. Eating more than 3 meals a day is also good but I found it was too hard for my particular schedule. Meh, to each their own.
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    You deal with hunger by eating. That's it. Don't try to make yourself forget the hunger, or push the hunger away. Eat smaller meals more often, that way you won't really feel hungry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    At some point, you have to accept that hunger occurs.

Your choice to let it roll or not, personally, I know I've eaten a ton in the past living in fear of "false hunger" which are simply minor temporary messages. Accept it and move on, the temp pangs will go away, and you can eat later.

Those of us who live a life of plenty really have an unhealthy fear of "hunger".
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I've been trying to spread my food out more evenly and it seems to help. I'll try drinking more water too. I'm only in my first week of calorie counting, so I think my body is just adjusting to the new intake.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Awe crap....I was gonna look at your diary and give helpful suggestions. But I can't see it.

I'm out.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am taking it slow and only doing a daily calorie deficit of 250,...Even then I still feel hungry alot.

There is no biological reason to feel hungry "a lot" on such a small deficit. You're just going to have to toughen up and realize what you're responding to aren't hunger cues.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm focused on how much I'm eating, then all of a sudden I'm starving all the time! Make sure you're eating what you're supposed to be eating, and then fill up that downtime reading a fitness magazine!!! That's what I do!
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The blood sugar thing.

Before I realized I need protein and fat at pretty much every meal, I was hungry a lot. A LOT. I don't know what you're eating for breakfast, or at any time. But personally, eating protein every few hours is the key for me. If I crash, I'll eat anything in sight and will keep going way past the point where I've had enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree, high protein (fat does nothing for me though). Also make sure you're not underestimating your TDEE.

But I still have a few days a month when I'm just starving.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am taking it slow and only doing a daily calorie deficit of 250, ( which is actually probably more like 500 considering what I have been eating over the holidays ). Even then I still feel hungry alot. Usually between lunch and dinner. I've tried adding snacks like peanut butter and cheese, but I think it just makes me more hungry. Suggestions?

I'm confused. If you ate more over the holidays, why would your deficit have increased from 250 to 500?