Starting Strength Work-out

Options
Day 3 down, and I don't think I'm doing it correctly? haha! I do have the book, but I've only skimmed through it, paying attention to the forms, because I wanted to get started immediately.

So, I guess, I'm confused about when I'm supposed to increase the weights, because this implies that I should do so in the same work out?

Here's an excerpt from the book; hopefully, you can read it!

Is this saying that on these three days, this is a normal progression through the weights, as in Day 1: You start with 45 lb squats and do five reps 3x, then do 65 lb squats for 5 reps, then 85 lb squats for 5 reps, then 105 lb squats for 5 reps 3x, and etc. through the Presses and Deadlifts ALL IN ONE DAY? Or, is this progression over the next 4 weeks?

Picture2_zps62358bf3.jpg

SS gurus, can you clarify for me, please?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It looks like you keep repeating the "B" workout only. Where's the "A" workout? The one consisting of power clean and overhead press?

It should be like this:

Mon > A (Squat, Power Clean, Overhead Press)

Wed > B (Squat, Bench, Deadlift)

Fri > A +5

Mon > B +5

Wed > A +5

Fri > B +5 and so on.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, I think this is for the lifting novice, which is what I am. It says:

A: Squat, Press, Deadlift
    B: Squat, Bench, Deadlift

for the first 2 weeks, then, you do:

A: Squat, Press, Deadlift
    B: Squat, Bench, Power Clean

for the next 2-3 weeks, then:

A: Squat, Press, Deadlift/Power Clean
    B: Squat, Bench, Back Extensions, Chin-ups/Pull-ups

So, if this is what I did this week:

Thursday:
    A - Squats (Assisted): 45x5x3, Press: 35x5x3, Deadlifts: 45x5x3

Saturday:
    B - Squats: 30x5x3, Bench: 45x5x3, Deadlifts: 45x5x3

Monday:
    A - Squats: 45x5x3, Press: 35x5x3, Deadlifts: 45x5x3

then, I did it reasonably correct, but should've increased my weights by 5 lbs., last night?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    *Bump*
  • LiftingLizJ
    LiftingLizJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't done starting strength specifically but I think the routine you copied is for someone fairly advanced in the program, warming up to a working weight of 105 not for someone just starting out. Once you hit higher weights you're going to want to warm up by doing sets of slowly increasing weight before you get to that days workout weight.

The typical progression for a program like this would be to start at 45 pounds with just the bar. If you can get through 5x3 with that weight unassisted, next time add 5 pounds and aim for 50x5x3. If you can do that, add another 5 pounds and try for 55x5x3. You should be adding weight every workout unless you failed to complete your sets.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

The whole point of these routines is to see some sort of linear progression (adding weight in a routine way essentially). This should be achievable for a considerable period of time. How much weight you add is up to you really - as long as you are constantly progressing then you are doing fine. If you want simplicity then following the original program is fine.

To respond to what exactly you have posted:

1) You should have added weight to the deadlift, yes. Also, it has been a while since I have been complete au fait with SS but I don't recall the working set(s) for deadlift ever being more than 1 x 5.
    2) You should probably be doing a couple of warm-up sets for the compound lifts. If you are already only lifting the bar as your working weight then you can use a lighter bar, light dumbbells or bodyweight. #

I would spend a few hours reading a lot about the program and taking relevant notes for yourself as I, and anyone else here, are liable to be incorrect far more than the program itself is.

Good luck.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I'm considering just switching to Strong Lifts, as it seems to be easier to follow. SL was apparently adapted from the SS concept, so both should be good, I'd think. As for progressing in weights, I've been trying to get a feel for the forms first and I've been trying to find a personal trainer to help me with my forms, so adding weights hasn't been my focus. I feel better about them, at this point (after pointers from trainers), so I'll start the progression in weights, this next work out. :-)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    The sheet you included is a single workout. The idea is that you warm up before doing your work sets. You do a few sets with the empty bar, then add some weight and do another set, then add some weight again and do another set, and then you do your three work sets. Deadlift is the exception; you do just one work set of deadlifts.

The main reason for this is form, form, form. Especially while you're new to the program, you want to lock in your technique so that when you approach RHAW (really heavy-*kitten* weights) you'll lift correctly and efficiently and avoid injuring yourself. Also, don't expect to really go up five pounds on every lift in every workout! I made this mistake and quickly hit a wall; for a while, I was pinning myself under the bar pretty much every time I lifted. We're not all teenage guys drinking a gallon of milk a day. It's ok to go up more slowly. It's ok if you flat-out can't go up at all -- although you want to progress every time in some way, there are other ways to do it besides adding weight. Oh, and fractional plates are awesome. Sometimes you may not be able to go up five pounds, but you could easily go up one or two pounds... with fractional plates, you can do that.

Here's what my most recent workout with work sets looked like. Note that I'm not really doing the program; I did all four lifts in one workout, plus other lifts I haven't included here, and I've mucked with the warmup sets a little to accommodate my weaksauce upper body. But this should still give you an idea.

Squat
    2x5x45
    1x5x55
    1x5x65
    3x5x80

Press
    2x5x20
    1x5x25
    1x5x30
    3x5x38

Deadlift
    1x5x65