new and need help losing belly fat

Options
I just signed up today so I can have a new year, new me (I kno its so cliché lol) Ive already lost weight just dieting and went from 147 to now 120 (I am 4'11). I still have belly fat that makes me go crazy so I was wondering since I lost a good portion of my weight dieting, what exercises should I start to shed the rest off? I hear cardio is really good from a website my fiancé likes to read ( I believe its called scoobyworkouts or something like that) any recommendations from anyone who got rid of their 'spare tire"?

p.s. Happy New Year!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    you have done well, keep it up!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, Cardio is a really good way to loose belly fat. When I run at least three days a week, I have a perfectly flat stomach.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yes, Cardio is a really good way to loose belly fat. When I run at least three days a week, I have a perfectly flat stomach.

I am not arguing with you but I believe this also depends on your body type...for pear shape, belly never is as big issue as for an apple shaped person...
  • missnewme88
    Options

I am not arguing with you but I believe this also depends on your body type...for pear shape, belly never is as big issue as for an apple shaped person...

is it impossible though if your apple shaped?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

is it impossible though if your apple shaped?

It's not "impossible"; it might just take more work. If your overall body fat is very low, I can't imaging you will have a big belly. Having said that, sometimes, body image is totally something in our own head. :)
  • Clairefrances
    Clairefrances Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone I just downloaded an app for free I am starting tomorrow.. 3 kids and now in my 50's I just want to be better and stronger for my grandkids. Six Pack by Runtastic good luck and congrats!!!
  • believer1988
    Options
    bump*
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Belly fat comes off with overall fat loss. For a lot of people it is the last to go, but the first to grow back. The "spare tire" can be very stubborn, but stick with your calories and general fitness. It will happen eventually. For some of us that just takes a bit more effort than others.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Same boat - rest of body is fine except my belly but it'll go with time. Try to combine cardio and strength training, I'm going to try that as various fitness videos (fitnessblender is a personal favourite) has said that is really effective for losing belly fat as well as staying in a caloric deficit. Good luck!
  • annfoster06
    annfoster06 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi and happy new year. My only advice is that there are no miracle cures, any exercise is of benefit. It is a case of just cutting down on the energy intake and using more energy. Find something that you like doing or you won't keep it up. If it's something you've not tried before give it a go. I never thought I'd like jogging (nb not running lol) but found that I like to beat myself (no pressure of other people). You just need to decide whether you want to go it alone or join a club. Good luck:smile:
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    Happy new year!
    I rejoined nearly two weeks ago to finish the weight loss I started. You tube has some great and easy to do exercises you can follow. I also found that insanity was great but my doctor told me to stop coz of my back!
    Add me :)
  • believer1988
    Options
    Same boat - rest of body is fine except my belly but it'll go with time. Try to combine cardio and strength training, I'm going to try that as various fitness videos (fitnessblender is a personal favourite) has said that is really effective for losing belly fat as well as staying in a caloric deficit. Good luck!

which video from fitnessblender?
  • missnewme88
    Options
    thanks everyone.. i just keep worrying that if i do al the hard work, I wont get my desired look :(
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner when the rest of the sponge is still wet. Keep losing weight. Strength training will help you look good when the weight is gone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hate to break it to you ..but you cannot spot reduce…fat comes off, from where it wants, when it wants..

Not sure what your current work out routine is..

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, and bench press. Starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are good resources. Once you familiarize yourself with these moves and have the form down incorporate them into a three day a week workout where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders/chest and then on two days you can do some form of cardio and ab work….

Really it boils down to diet…eat in a deficit, lift heavy, hit your macros, keep repeating…

and cardio really does nothing for belly fat it is just a way to increase calorie burn...