Not worthy of this board...

Options
slhall0822
slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
I seriously feel like it's an unstated rule that to post in the "Success Stories" board you have to have lost some astronomical amount of weight. Like... 90 pounds with pictures. But I feel successful this morning, so here I am posting :)

I've "only" lost 19 pounds. I say only because I have another 60 - 80 to go. However, I'm finally starting to feel like "me" again. You know how a lot of people with body image issues look in the mirror and see someone who is much heavier than they really are? Well... I think I have the opposite problem. Almost my entire life I've been overweight, now I'm obese. But when I look in the mirror, I generally think "woo, look at that sexy thang!"... only to see a random picture of myself a week later and think "who's the fat chick?" LOL.

That was, until after I gave birth a year and a half ago. I was larger than I had ever been and I couldn't stand to look at myself for too long in the mirror. This morning, while admiring my lack of 19 pounds, I finally started to see my "sexy self" emerging back out under all of the flub. And I had a moment of realization and gratification. I've lost 19 pounds... slowly... by eating the RIGHT way... and by exercising the RIGHT way. AND I did it through the holidays... also known as "the most impossible time of the year to lose weight". Oh I've lost weight before. Lots of weight. But I've ALWAYS done it VERY quickly, and gained it back (plus some) VERY quickly. This is the FIRST time in my LIFE that I've done it correctly. And I realized that if I can do this very difficult slow weight loss task, and make it a lifestyle, not a diet... that I might just have some sort of chance of one day posting the "90 pounds lost with pictures" post :)

So... I was proud of myself this morning and had to share :) Happy New Year's everyone.

Replies

• lightinfl
    lightinfl Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    and that is what success looks like :) Congratulations on what you've been able to attain :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. 19 pounds is a big deal. Even bigger is that you have a healthy plan that is working for you. Are you taking before and after pictures? Excited to see your future post with pictures of your amazing loss. :)
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    Congratulations! It takes a lot of hard work, and dedication to lose that much.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1rkzpHj1n1r6aoq4o1_500_zps2c091f68.gif

I was just like you, I had no idea how big I had gotten until someone posted a side pic on FB. Be proud and Stay strong and continue on to Goal.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. 19 lbs. is awesome and by what you've described, you've got your head in the game this time - doing things the right way! All the best to you in 2014! :flowerforyou:
  • catnip_craze
    catnip_craze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely worthy, definitely well done!

19 pounds is quite a bit of weight and it certainly doesn't just fall off! Well done for sticking with it and I hope it continues for you!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    19 lbs is definitely a success!

great_job_animated.gif
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    and that is what success looks like :) Congratulations on what you've been able to attain :)

This! Congrats to you on your hard work.
  • elle_321
    elle_321 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    well you have definitely inspired me to get to my first 19 lbs!! I can't wait to feel even a little bit better than I do now. It is amazing the difference even a few lbs can make to how you feel. Just those clothes not digging into your waist is an amazing feeling and I can't wait to get there again. congratulations.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me this whole thing is about liking myself and being healthy, and you're on your way!
    AMAZING job!! That 19lbs is changing your life, and that's fantastic!
    Keep it up! x
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Congratulations!! It's hard work to lose weight!! Next time you're at the store, pick up an item that weight 20 pounds. (Like cat litter, potatoes, etc.) Know this is what you've lost so far! It's silly, but it really put a smile on my face when I did it! You'll be amazed at how heavy it feels, and wonder where the heck did I carry all that.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It is not just the weight loss it is the learning we do on the way. You are getting there. Food for you.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't reply to too many posts (I'm more of an active observer!) but I felt compelled to chime in on your post. I, too, used to easily lose and gain weight with fad diets and unhealthy calorie restrictions. Two years ago I set out to lose 1 pound per week for a year -- slow and steady. It seemed like such a slow and ungratifying process but I kept to the plan. A year later I had lost 50 pounds. And because of how I lost the weight, I've had no problem maintaining it for over a year (I've actually gained 10 pounds over the last year but its been mostly muscle and not fat). So losing 19 pounds the way you have done it is awesome and you should absolutely consider it a worthy success story. You are on the right path to get to your goal weight and then stay there. Congratulations on the first 19 lbs and keep doing what you're doing!
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    9 pounds = 31,500 calories. That is NO small feat! I'm at the same point with you, we can push on and be victorious! Great job :)
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There's a thread on the message boards somewhere (I think it's under Success Stories) called "I've lost a bald eagle." If you find it, you can see what you've lost that's equivalent to some material object. Some people have lost a gold brick, some lost a mid-sized microwave, and so on.

I looked up the list (I saved on my laptop for motivation), and you're just 16 oz shy of losing a car tire. A whole CAR TIRE......that's quite an achievement and you should be proud of yourself. If you would like the list, just reply back to my post and I'll post it.

Keep up the great work!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I like seeing the posts with smaller losses as it gives me something to look forward to with small goals. It's taken me 110 days to lose 8 pounds. I average .5 pound per week. But to me it is important to lose it slow and steady because I'm breastfeeding and toxins are released when you lose fat,so it's safer to lose slowly. Also, I want to keep it off.

Way to go. I'm glad you are starting to see yourself again.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Totally worthy! You have done great so far and should feel proud of your accomplishment!! Well done!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think there is much more to 'success stories' than the number on the scale. That's why so many people post NSV stories (Non-Scale Victory). The number on the scale can give you bragging rights, and it's definitely something to feel proud of. But there are so many other 'victories' that we experience. And you just experience one of the biggies. Congrats. Well-done. Enjoy it and bask in your own glory!!!
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This definitely belongs here. You are a Success!!! Keep it going
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...feeling like I wasn't all that big...and then I saw some photos of myself on facebook...well that was allll it took! Congratulations on your success!! Success isn't always who can post the biggest number...success is measured in your fulfillment and happiness with yourself and small victories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!