20 year old wanting to lose 1st

Options
Hello everyone :)

My name's Gemma - I'm 20 years old, 5ft 6 and weigh 10st. About 2 and 1/2 years ago I weighed just over 8st, but since coming to university and being in a relationship my weight has risen and I'm now quite depressed about the way my body looks.

I want to lose about 1st and plan on losing weight slowly and sensibly. I also want to increase my activity and shift some of the weight around my stomach! If anyone's in a similar situation then send me a message or reply on here :)

Thanks!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, 2 1/2 years ago, you were, what? 17? and probably still growing. And 8 st would underweight for your height, so it's a good thing you gained some. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I just wanted to put that out there - I think sometimes we forget that it's completely normal for our bodies to still be changing at that age. Don't get caught up in aiming for a goal that's no longer realistic for the adult you.

Anyway, slowly and sensibly is good. Since you're at a healthy weight already, it can be better to focus less on the number on the scale and more on body composition. A lot of people on the boards have had a lot of success with starting resistance training and often see big changes in how they look without much movement on the scale.

This is quite a good guide to get you started with MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • gemmafawn
    gemmafawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's mainly toning up that I want to do, I'd never want to be 8st again either - I know that I was too thin before I came to uni! Thank you for the link :)