Sugar Question

I am one week in, and have already lost five pounds. Love that this site can give me my rules and I am taking it as a personal challenge to stay within the goals. So far it's working!

I have been able to stay within my calorie count, carbs, fat, sodium, and protein very easily. The sugar goal says 34 grams though, and I have been passing it every day. 1 orange and 1 large apple, is 42 grams. Is this important? I feel like I should be able to, at minimum, have 1 orange and 1 large apple a day, without going outside of my goal.

Sorry if a stupid question, this is all new to me.

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Pretty sure it's fine if it doesn't mess up your willpower or makes you feel ill.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Natural sugars in fruits should not be counted. It's the added sugars you need to worry about. I usually subtract the fruit sugars from the totals each day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    There are no stupid questions!

I use the protein & fiber goals as minimums. I meet iron & calcium goals via supplements. Then I ignore everything but calories. But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different opinions. Everybody's different, and it'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this. I wish it'd been around when I started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    I changed my settings so fiber shows up instead of sugar; I don't worry about it.
  • IamMatt71
    IamMatt71 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you everyone! All very helpful!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    I don't watch my sugar intake, just overall carb, and I make sure I'm getting enough fiber. I've done it this way since day one. :D
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    I have the same problem! I am always over on my sugar... Usually by at least double. I have a yogurt at work and its most of the sugar for the day. My doctor doesn't say I have any issue with my sugar and I've never been at risk for diabetes, so I try not to worry.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar intake as long as its from "healthy" food and if you are concerned, you should talk with your doctor.