Working out and gaining weight

Options
I've been working out for a little over a month and the first week I initially lost 6 pounds. I recently stepped on the scale and gained all that weight back plus 4 pounds! I've been sticking to my diet. Lifting 3 x a week and cardio 6x a week. Has anyone else experience this?

Replies

• bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Trust me, some days I have had worse gains but when I remember that 7700cals make a kilo and i haven't had that much, i don't fret. I've also discovered that my weight depends on how much carb/sodium/water i've had(i weigh in daily). Also around TOM i gain weight. I've gained as much as 4kilos but it all goes away. If you know u are doing it right, keep at it. Ask those around you if the gain is visible. If it isn't, it is not fat.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a little over a month and the first week I initially lost 6 pounds. I recently stepped on the scale and gained all that weight back plus 4 pounds! I've been sticking to my diet. Lifting 3 x a week and cardio 6x a week. Has anyone else experience this?
    Weight fluctuates day to day, and throughout the day. That said, try eating back only half your exercise calories. The burn estimates are just that--estimates.

Weight loss takes lots of trial & error.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If the trend over a month is +4 lbs, I would say you're eating at a surplus, unless your measurements are shrinking.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What were you doing the 3-4 weeks before the week you lost 6 pounds?
  • lilredgal33
    Options
    Healthy muscle mass weighs more than fat, which means you are getting better muscle tone most likely. Don't weigh more than once a week or if you can stand it, don't weigh more than once a month because our weigh fluctuates due to hormones, stress, water weight (and if you deprive yourself of food or water you won't lose) Water is a nice way to burn fat. Sometimes looking at the scale takes our focus off the positive points and makes us focus too hard on a normal thing. Good luck.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well you did not gain 10 lb of muscle. You may be working out but you are eating too much. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I kinda did...it took me over a month to lose anything then I lost 10 lbs very quickly {probably water weight} then I regained back to basically my original weight when I first started then the weight started to come off slowly but steadily.... Whats your calorie in take? Are you over going on your salt? Pmsing/ovulating??
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    It's either muscle or you are eating too much. How do your clothes fit? Tighter? The same? Looser?

I noticed that when I started strength-training, I was HUNGRY. I def ate too many cals at the beginning. That's why I was getting stronger, and smaller, but the weight was stagnant.

I started logging my food on here...and def say on my lifting days I was eating too much. I was fine during the rest of the week though. I've been watching my cals more closely lately, and I lost 2 lbs this month alone by not over doing it on my lifting days.
  • CokeBottle84
    CokeBottle84 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My clothes fit loser. I actually look like I'm more toned. I've been receiving compliments. I'm not sure what's going on with my body. Would my menstrual cycle effect weight loss?
  • CokeBottle84
    CokeBottle84 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I may be eating too much. I have a trainer and I've been doing really intense workouts, I cant really log them on MFP because it's hour and 15 mins of various exercises.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Menstrual cycle definitely plays a role! I can show a three pound gain on the scale the day before or day of my period starting. Give yourself a few days. Keep doing what you're doing. It should go back to normal.

If not, you may have to look at other factors, like overeating. Even your calorie suggestions given by MFP could be working against you. If you set your activity level too high, you'll eat too many calories.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My clothes fit loser. I actually look like I'm more toned. I've been receiving compliments. I'm not sure what's going on with my body. Would my menstrual cycle effect weight loss?

If your clothes are looser and you look better what do you care what the scale says? Isn't getting a better body composition the end goal?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If your clothes are looser and you look better what do you care what the scale says? Isn't getting a better body composition the end goal?

this!
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    You could be increasing muscle but losing fat as muscle is heavier than fat!! Just a guess
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scales & take measurements instead!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Since you are a female if you are not aware you can gain upwards of 10lbs around your menstrual cycle. Your weight changes daily also like someone else mentioned. Don't sweat it and just keep doing what your doing.
  • CEMH1
    CEMH1 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was having similar results, and you are working out much harder than I. As suggested, I ditched the scale and started going by clothes and tape measurements. The measurements don't lie and I confirmed my progress. ( which I really knew but the scale can play with your mind... LOL) Pictures are great too, but I think you have already done that. Good luck in your future progress!
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    No..:huh:
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    I would suggest to get down to the weight level you want and than do weights. In other words just do cardio.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't weigh yourself, the scale is not smart enough to differientate between lean body mass and body fat. Take measurements, take the compliments, and rely on your clothes fit as well as your energy levels and mood as to whether you're doing the right thing for your fitness program.

The scale = relapse.