wealth vs poverty...which are you?

Options
ctalimenti
ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
I found #1 especially interesting...

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day.

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day

Oh and of course this one...

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically four days a week. 23% of poor do this.

Here's the list:

Tom Corley, on his website RichHabitsInstitute.com, outlines a few of the differences between the habits of the rich and the poor.

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically four days a week. 23% of poor do this.

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% of poor people.

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% of poor.

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read two or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% of poor.

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% of poor.

8. 80% of wealthy make Happy Birthday calls vs. 11% of poor.

9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% of poor.

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs. 2% of poor.

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor.

12. 79% of wealthy network five hours or more each month vs. 16% of poor.

13. 67% of wealthy watch one hour or less of TV every day vs. 23% of poor.

14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% of poor.

15. 44% of wealthy wake up three hours before work starts vs. 3% of poor.

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% of poor.

17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% of poor.

18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% of poor.

19. 86% of wealthy believe in lifelong educational self-improvement vs. 5% of poor.

20. 86% of wealthy love to read vs. 26% of poor.

Replies

• dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! But what else would you expect?
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    WOW!!! But what else would you expect?

Exactly. I also enjoyed reading the comments below the article.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    does this really surprise anyone?

and as far as the question of which am i ? I am in the poverty category have been my entire life
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I knew this was the problem. New New Year's Resolution: Become a much better liar.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I knew this was the problem. New New Year's Resolution: Become a much better liar.

It's not about lying. It's about being discerning... using timing and words appropriately.
  • Jestinia
    Options

It's not about lying. It's about being discerning... using timing and words appropriately.

It's about lying. Not saying lying isn't necessary sometimes. I loathe hurting people, so I keep quiet or self-censor as required to avoid that, but I know it's not honesty.
  • ctalimenti
    Options

Yes, this one sort of threw me. I am not in poverty but I think I say what's on my mind or maybe I rant. This one needs more clarification.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm rich, b*tch!

but i could never get down with waking up 3 hours before work (unless i started work at noon) or listening to audiobooks. i much prefer reading my books myself. reel books, not e-readers
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

It's about lying. Not saying lying isn't necessary sometimes. I loathe hurting people, so I keep quiet or self-censor as required to avoid that, but I know it's not honesty.

Simply not saying phrases like, "My boss is an asshat," isn't lying. It's just not saying what's on your mind. There are plenty of thoughts people have throughout the day that should remain inside one's head. Being self-controlled with the tongue does not make a person a liar.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

You can say whats on your mind without being insulting or confrontational.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree with both of you. Of course, there are extremes that I'm sure most poor people don't do, either, like shrieking, 'hey boss, you're an asshat!'
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    i would also wager a guess that poor people deal with issues that wealthy people dont, some of those issues being beyond their immediate control which might be part of the reason they dont speak their minds as much.

for instance if you have limited job potential, are working the only job you can get, a job that requires a low level of skill and that thousands of other people can work, then you're going to be less likely to speak your mind about your job (whether it be tactfully or not). getting fired from your job is a pain in the *kitten* for anyone, but for some people that's just a very real hop skip and a jump away from being homeless

i may not be poor now, but i grew up poor and i can honestly tell you that there are some sh*tty situations you have to keep your mouth shut about.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    was the purpose of this post/article to shame people in poverty and give the rich another pat on the back??

or is doing all the things the wealthy do going to magically make me and others wealthy? (no)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I am curious to find out what determines the Wealthy vs Poverty, because I think there is a very large middle area.

Say the Ultra wealthy, they eat better because they have personal cooks, such as Movie stars and athletes, also Fortune 500 CEO's. They also have Personal trainers etc.

Poor people eat McDonalds, why because it's cheap and easy, I once worked two 8hr jobs a day, so that is 16 hours a day and a quick bite to eat was usually bad food.

Now on the flip side I put myself through college, paid my own way, I have a great job, married, family, I would place us in the Upper middle class, coming from Poverty.

Bottom line the great thing about America is if you want something, to do better for yourself, the opportunity is there, all you have to do is "go for it" work hard, study, talk to people, and attitude...all are part of it. Nothing is free, you need to work for it, and from what I read, the wealthy people have worked for it, they strived to be better, they try to pass to their children that education is the foundation of success, and the best education is reading.

Good habits are good and I would say the wealth is the result of the good habits and striving to be better physically, mentally and fiscally is a goal we all should follow and try to attain.

good things happen to good people, I certainly believe that and it ahs done wonders for me in life.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    I like this list because it's something a rational and sane public education system designed to promote successful, happy citizens could do something about. Too bad we don't have one of those.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd be intrigued to see what their definition of "wealthy" is. Because honestly, while most of us don't roll in piles of money.....we are among the wealthiest people groups in all history. We have regular access to food. Reasonable access to medical care. A roof over our heads. And such 1st world problems as paying for cars, worrying about being overweight, and how to afford college for our kids.

I'm not rollin' in cash. I work for a living. I won't be able to help my kids much with college expenses, but I know that I have it better than probably 80% of the world's population.

And my kids don't volunteer 10 hours a month. Some times it's more than 10 hours.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    was the purpose of this post/article to shame people in poverty and give the rich another pat on the back??

or is doing all the things the wealthy do going to magically make me and others wealthy? (no)

this is a good question because i'm in no way wealthy yet most of the things wealthy people do i do :laugh:

i think the article misses out on the biggest differences between wealthy and poor

1. wealthy people have more money
    2. wealthy people have more savings
    3. wealthy people have more take home pay after paying their bills like cars, mortgages, utilities, etc

but if all it takes is volunteering, making lists, having goals, continually learning, etc to be wealthy then i want my millions NOW!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    And my favorite is...

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% of poor people.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well according to this I am wealthy. I think we skipped the folks in the middle. We seem to always be forgotten. Just because I don't live pay check to pay check does not mean I am wealthy. I do well but I also try to make good decisions with what I make. It is not how much you make it is how much you keep. But how much you make can decide how much you keep.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am completely wealthy. The only ones that don't fit me are #7 (I'm Southern and I don't know that I'll ever get this one down...but I have improved significantly!), 11, and 16 (and only because I don't have kids).

It's true. Good habits, introspection, education, and continued life learning all add up. :)

Edit: I started off in COMPLETE poverty (teen parents, single-wide, the whole nine yards). Hard work and sacrifice (still...). Nothing comes for free.