over calorie limit--do you go back and try to count?

Options
I don't have to tell you it's a challenge to count calories. What to do you if you go over? This is what happened to me yesterday: I had cut-back too much and let myself get too hungry and I really got the munchies, after I got home from work. I didn't stop to count everything. I bet I went over by about 1000 calories or so. Would you go back and try to add that all up? No, that's not what I usually do. I usually just go on from here....What is your opinion?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi. If it was a lot of mindless eating without weighing and measuring food and if I logged it it would just be a guess. I would not log it. But take the guess and use the quick add feature. I would just start fresh and think about what you could do differently to not go overboard again.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. It doesn't matter if it was a planned meal with healthy choices or if it was an unplanned snack where I grazed on anything my eyes landed on. If it went in my tummy, it goes on my diary. A lot of times that means guessing and estimating. But I try to be as close to accurate as possible, without going too insane over it. Because, though it might look more pretty to review my diary and see that I was under goal, it's not going to really help me lose any weight if I'm lying to myself.
  • reginachapman35
    reginachapman35 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, I think of it as yesterday was yesterday. Today is a new day. Learn from it, move on, and don't make it into a habit.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would personally try and figure it out and add it, or just add a guess of the calories. The reason why is because I look back and want to see what was going on if I were losing or not losing during a period of time.

A piece of advice . . . Don't allow yourself to go hungry, if you are hungry eat, log it and if you think what you ate was not the best choice learn from that. If you realize you weren't really hungry at that time (maybe you were thirsty) learn from that as well. This process is a retraining for us to learn to read our hunger/thirst signals and manage them. It may seem like a lot but trust me it gets better in time.

Good luck!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I do my best to count it all up, even if it's just guesswork.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop to count everything. I bet I went over by about 1000 calories or so. Would you go back and try to add that all up?

Yep.

Always.

Can't know what I've done unless I know what I've done.
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    Totally, this is day one for me, and I went out for a family brunch, came home and joined MFP, only to find I'd exceeded already by 272. Not happy but not giving in, keeping it real and accountable is the way forward for me. Do what works for you hun. It clearly wouldn't work for me x x
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I always log it. It's data, not something shameful. I use the data to encourage and plan and regroup if needed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do my best to count it all up, even if it's just guesswork.

This. I also look at weekly averages and try to see how my body is responding to those.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would log it. It's a huge wake-up call to how much we can actually consume in short periods of time, and, for me, has helped prevent binges sometimes (oh my gosh, remember how many calories that was). Like a previous post-er said, it will be just a guess, but I do go back and try to recreate the actual logging. For me, it's also a way of putting it behind me and forgiving myself so I can move on and make better choices. It's one day - don't beat yourself up.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would give my best guess and log it. I need as accurate as possible calorie counts for my tracking spreadsheet and a missed hundred kcals here and there would throw the whole thing out.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't have times where I get that hungry.

EDIT: I don't have times where I LET myself get that hungry.

However, I would try to add it up, you may miss something, but you'll be closer than if you didn't record anything.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I try not to add quick calories. I try to log each and every food time I take in. If I'm gonna do it I might as well do it right. If I can't find the food I ate in the database I google it and create my own food. I love the recipe features too. I use it a lot. MFP has changed my life. Ots really up to the individual what works for them. But this is what I do. :-)