Cheaper version of shakeology?

Options
I have been on the fence about purchasing shakeology at $129 per month, when I still have an entire family to feed. I spend $300 every 2 weeks at the grocery right now and just can't see spending that much for the shakeology too. I like the idea of it being a meal replacement, because I have a hard time eating breakfast (or at least choosing a healthier option besides ceral or some sugary something).

I have been buying the Super Advanced Whey Protein from Body Fortress, and although I know it's suppose to be used as a supplement, does anyone know if I can use it as a meal replacement...or do I need to add other ingredients to it to make it? I have googled this information, but not really finding a straight forward answer.

I would appreciate any help and advice!

Replies

• larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Arbonne also has protein shakes, they are about $65, plus another $20 for added fiber boost, Cheaper than Shakeology and just as good, actually tastes better.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of it being a meal replacement, because I have a hard time eating breakfast...

There's nothing wrong (and for many people, a whole lot right) with skipping breakfast entirely.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok here's the thing. You can eat/drink literally anything you want. There is absolutely no difference between a supplement and a meal replacement. They're just marketing terms. The only reason something is called a meal replacement is because it's meant to be used in place of actual solid food at meal time and has roughly the calories of a "meal." If something is called a supplement, it's basically meant to be used as a snack, same deal.

HOWEVER. Food is food. The only thing that matters is the number of calories you ingest. If you're tracking your macronutrients (carbs fat protein) then that matters too.

I drink a protein shake with the same powder you're using probably 5 or 6 times a week. I generally use milk, peanut butter, and the chocolate flavored powder. If I don't have room for the peanut butter in my calories that day, I'll use a tiny tiny bit of mint extract for a mint chocolate shake or a bit of almond or vanilla extract for a different flavor. You can also just do water and powder if you want, too. It's really not bad, at least the chocolate isn't. I typically make a shake for breakfast if I have to leave the house early and don't want to dirty dishes and cook. I also have them as snacks sometimes.

YOU DO NOT NEED SHAKEOLOGY. It is a very, very expensive protein powder. That is all. All you need to do is determine how many calories you need to eat for the day and add your shake in if you need more calories, or don't want to/have time to cook, or whatever. You can use it as a snack/ "supplement", or beef it up with milk, peanut butter, fruit, yogurt, etc. if you want more calories to make it a "meal/meal replacement" Simple as that!
  • kdenreyes2
    Options

Thank you! I hadn't seen this topic previously! Congrats on your amazing weightloss!
  • kdenreyes2
    Options
    Ok here's the thing. You can eat/drink literally anything you want. There is absolutely no difference between a supplement and a meal replacement. They're just marketing terms. The only reason something is called a meal replacement is because it's meant to be used in place of actual solid food at meal time and has roughly the calories of a "meal." If something is called a supplement, it's basically meant to be used as a snack, same deal.

HOWEVER. Food is food. The only thing that matters is the number of calories you ingest. If you're tracking your macronutrients (carbs fat protein) then that matters too.

I drink a protein shake with the same powder you're using probably 5 or 6 times a week. I generally use milk, peanut butter, and the chocolate flavored powder. If I don't have room for the peanut butter in my calories that day, I'll use a tiny tiny bit of mint extract for a mint chocolate shake or a bit of almond or vanilla extract for a different flavor. You can also just do water and powder if you want, too. It's really not bad, at least the chocolate isn't. I typically make a shake for breakfast if I have to leave the house early and don't want to dirty dishes and cook. I also have them as snacks sometimes.

YOU DO NOT NEED SHAKEOLOGY. It is a very, very expensive protein powder. That is all. All you need to do is determine how many calories you need to eat for the day and add your shake in if you need more calories, or don't want to/have time to cook, or whatever. You can use it as a snack/ "supplement", or beef it up with milk, peanut butter, fruit, yogurt, etc. if you want more calories to make it a "meal/meal replacement" Simple as that!

Thank you for the info. I am brand new at this whole protein thing. I get the strawberry flavor and just mix it with water. It actually tastes pretty good like that, but I am willing to try your recipe. I just never thought to mix it with anything other than water. It's hard to find unbiased information on shakeology because everyone is a coach it seems and wants you to buy it from them. I just want to find out what is going to work best for me, but spending that much money is an expensive mistake I don't want to make.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    How about not labeling food in categories of good or bad and just concentrate on eating a balanced diet, eat to your set caloric intake, and hit your Macro's. You can have pretty much any foods you like and still lose weight as long as you are eating in a deficit...... Save your money on high dollar shakes and spend it on better things... I have used this approach and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is your goal, all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

this times a million…

I would also add that you can just create calorie deficit through MFP, which is free…and then you get to eat real food...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    A "meal replacement" shake generally includes carbs, fat, added micronutrients to make it resemble a meal. You can make your own with protein powder - if you don't want to eat real food, make a shake but add extras to make it a balanced meal. Green smoothies are a great way to add nutrients - spinach, kale, celery, herbs etc, a piece of fruit (Banana or berries are great to "mask" the greens), protein powder, and fat - nut butter, avo, coconut milk/oil etc. whizzed up with water til smooth and voila, meal replacement shake :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the Body Fortress protein...that's what I started out on too, and didn't think it was all that bad. Then my brother bought me some UMP for Christmas...and holy cow does that stuff taste amazing! I didn't realize how gross my protein powder was until I had some GOOD protein powder. It is more expensive, but the taste is sooooo worth it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    I have been on the fence about purchasing shakeology at $129 per month, when I still have an entire family to feed. I spend $300 every 2 weeks at the grocery right now and just can't see spending that much for the shakeology too. I like the idea of it being a meal replacement, because I have a hard time eating breakfast (or at least choosing a healthier option besides ceral or some sugary something).

I have been buying the Super Advanced Whey Protein from Body Fortress, and although I know it's suppose to be used as a supplement, does anyone know if I can use it as a meal replacement...or do I need to add other ingredients to it to make it? I have googled this information, but not really finding a straight forward answer.

I would appreciate any help and advice!
    Unless you're willing to use any protein powder/program powder for meal replacement DAILY each day on a regular basis, then there's no need to start. Better to learn how to eat the food you expect to for life.
    That said, you can just add a Greens formula to your protein if you want more nutrients in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just a thought : search ebay for "shakeology 30 day." I usually paid about $100 per bag. Never purchased off a coach or the beachbody website. And I used shakeology as a meal replacement for about 6 months. I've since moved more towards cellucor protein shakes for breakfast / or oatmeal & scoop of cellucor. But I still found shakeology to be effective meal replacement strategy for my weight loss efforts.