Deer???

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Love venison! I wish I could find some place to get it where I am!!

One of the best stews I ever had was with venison. Maybe you could try different stews with the meat?
  • mo135
    mo135 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I suggest checking out outdoor writer Jim Zumbo's Amazing Venison Recipies. It's a cookbook he sells on his website.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    :frown:

tumblr_mcpt28pp1T1qgdggeo1_500.gif
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any recipe that you would use beef in.

But the jerky option is always the best, unless you're dealing with organ meat, in which case cook it all day on low, in a crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onions, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a cup of red cooking wine.
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    I have Rudolph with a cherry on top
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    you eat roudolf??

Reindeer (aka Caribou) is a different species than whitetail deer, but reindeer sausage is yummy too. I eat it a lot when I'm in Alaska!
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One tip I have is Don't overcook the steaks or any meat that isn't ground!! It makes a huge difference, keep it a little pink in the middle and it is tender an juicy. Overcook it and it will get dryer and have more of the 'Gamey flavor'..... Chili is real good with the ground meat as well as about anything you use ground beef for. We have been making minute steaks with a tenderizer then doing them chicken fried....Awesome and fast. Anything as sausage or salamis just have to add some pork or beef to get some fat in them or too dry.

Mark
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ship some to me packed in ice and I'll try a few recipes, let you know which is the best, and then you'll know how to cook it next time ;)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    They are so cute! I couldn't eat them.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

They are less cute coming through your windshield. True story.
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We make corned venison out of it. It is like candy. It is so much better than any corned beef I have ever had, and I don't really like corned beef. Google the recipe and try it! SO GOOD!
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    We put most of our deer into jerky...

...and then we eat so much at a time that we're physically ill.

You probably don't want to follow this plan.

Yep, that sounds about right.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stew and soup throughout the winter with our deer and elk. I usually saute some chunks with onions and garlic until brown then add a can or two of diced tomatoes (helps it get tender) and some beef stock...I use Thyme, rosemary, parsley etc. (experiment with whatever spices you like) let that cook for several hours until tender... then add some more stock and veggies.. potatoes, corn, beans, carrots, celery etc.. Yum!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm not a fan of venison, but my friend swears you can swap it in any recipe where beef is called for.

Yep, you can. You do have to be careful with the recipes that bank on the fat content holding things together or giving flavor, though. Venison is quite a bit leaner than beef, so it's more dry when cooked in many of the ways beef is. It's a good idea to add a fat (or water in some cases) to those recipes to keep the liquid/texture balance right.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have almost my entire deer processed in ground. Here are a few things I have done recently with it:

Chili
    Goulash
    lasagna
    Sheppards Pie
    Burgers
    Meatballs
    Sloppy Joes
    Tacos

fortunatelyI got 2 deer this year so my freezer is nice a full. I haven't cooked my tenders yet, I usually just marinate and grill those. My roasts I make jerky out of
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

They are less cute coming through your windshield. True story.

This. Or when a rutting buck decides you're a target.

They're also far less cute when they're dying of starvation and disease from overpopulation (and spreading that disease to domestic animals and humans), because their natural predators are long gone in a given area. Humans hunting (and, therefore, making use of the animals through eating and other things) some of them helps the local populations as a whole.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Jerky!
  • Lauriesongs
    Lauriesongs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One tip for roasts - like others have said, it will dry out easily because there's not much fat in deer, so season it well and put it in a slow cooker. Add some beef broth for moisture and don't lift the lid while it's cooking.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Chili and stew are always a hit. I also like to cut it into thin strips, bread and pan-fry it in butter. Kabobs are great, I like to cut the steaks into 2"X3" strips and wrap them around a sliver of Jalapeno and some jack cheese and skewer them, then slap them on the grill and dip in BBQ sauce. Also, deer makes a killer stroganoff.

Rigger
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the neat ideas. :) For those who don't eat Deer meat your just missing out; I thought I'd never eat it again but cooking it myself has made a huge difference. I did find Allergo(not sure if I spelled that right) in the bbq sauce isle at the store and used it as a marinate for tenderloin. It worked perfectly. I grilled it up and served with eggs and biscuits yesterday. The best breakfast and my 4yr old asked for more!!!!