New Coffee Drinker

Options
So I am 23 and about to start a job where I need to be up at 5am so I think it is time to make the switch from soda to coffee! I don't like hot coffee so I just ordered a Mr. Coffee Frappe machine and I have no idea what type of coffee to use....I love coffee ice cream but I honestly have never been big on coffee. Any suggestions on a coffee for first time drinkers that is good in a frappe?? Also that has lots of caffeine!! Or if any of you make these any low calorie recipes??? I cant wait to get it and try it out!!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I am 23 and about to start a job where I need to be up at 5am so I think it is time to make the switch from soda to coffee!

Why not just get a proper night's sleep, and then you won't need the coffee?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best low-cal option is just regular coffee with either a little cream in it or black. I don't know much about fancy drinks. All I know is high quality beans will not taste bitter when they are brewed at the correct temperature. At most, black coffee should be slightly acidic tasting, but never bitter.
  • annAsami
    Options
    I do get a full night sleep but that doesn't mean I function well in the morning especially 5am. If you can then congrats. I don't function well without caffeine.
  • annAsami
    Options
    Thought I would share. I found this recipe and it looks amazing and really low calorie. http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/06/skinny-caramel-frappuccino.html/comment-page-1#comment-157706
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with half and half. You have to figure out what you like. I'm a newmans extra bold keurig girl.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with half and half. You have to figure out what you like. I'm a newmans extra bold keurig girl.

Also brew some strong coffee and pour over ice. YUM!
  • amandastephens9003
    amandastephens9003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What about tea? They make amazing green teas with a kick
  • annAsami
    Options
    I will try the half and half! You are right I will have to experiment I just don't want to spend a bunch of money trying different coffees since I have no clue how to pick coffee lol. The machine I bought is really cool http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-BVMC-FM1-20-Ounce-Frappe/dp/B002FWMF8G It does everything! I read a lot of things about trying to make ice coffee and they all said it was just watery which is why I got this. Everyone raves about it and it is small and super easy to use.
    I am not a tea person, I have tried but I just hate tea lol.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like flavored coffee creamers. In order to avoid using too much, I like the little cup kind you can get at membership stores in the huge boxes. If you want to try drinking regular coffees, try using a light roast. It's not as acidic tasting to me. If you use a light roast in a frappe maker, I would guess it won't be very strong, so you may want to use a bolder roast (medium or dark roast) to give it that coffee flavor.

I personally don't like plain coffee from everyone's favorite coffee chain (green and white logo, you know the one)...but I do like to try different gourmet flavored coffees. These often show up in the kind of stores where you can find designer clothing and home wares.

Ultimately, I have met very few people who don't like coffee from donut shops, so that may be a good place to start :) Good luck! You'll find it helps you, I think, just don't get too hooked at first. More than one cup a day will probably irritate your stomach at first because of the acid. If that happens, take an antacid, drink a glass of milk, or lay off the coffee on the weekends and reserve it for the days you work. Cheers!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a coffee drinker and have been since I was around 9 and stealing it from my dad's coffee cup.

I buy whole bean coffee and grind it myself. Then use an espresso maker and make two shots in a cup then fill the rest of the cup with hot water. It's called an Americano. It's slightly stronger than regular drip coffee and does the trick.

You can also use just a regular drip machine really and I'll drink that if that's all there is available. I use two tablespoons of half/half and enough sugar to sweeten it just a bit. It's about 87 calories total for about 8 ounces, as I've measured everything ahead of time.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I make my coffee in a very specific way... With the keurig machine, or course. I have one of those cups that you can put your own ground coffee into - I usually use the Starbucks blonde - much cheaper than the keurig pods anyways ^_^

I brew with about 1-2 tbsp of grounds (I've never ground my own beans; I might start doing that when I run out of the grounds I currently have), add exactly 3 tbsp of sugar, and then add 1 1/2 tbsp of coffee creamer.

It's not exactly low-calorie, at 100 calories. However, I prefer to use real sugar, and the super fatty-but-delicious coffee creamer. It's my "treat" to start off the day :drinker:
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Use reg coffee but check out different online recipes. I see commercials where they add chocolate syrup, froth some milk. I just now looked up recipes and I saw hundreds. I like mine Black, No sugar. I save my calories for something else. I didnt start drinking coffee till my early 30s but Im full force addicted now! Def like my coffee!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A way to save on having to add stuff is to get good quality coffee that you like the taste of, this will require some experimentation.
    A lot of the sugar free syrups you can add taste like *kitten*.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    black coffee = zero calories.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,589 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of things about trying to make ice coffee and they all said it was just watery which is why I got this.

Make coffee and freeze in ice cube trays. Then when you make "iced coffee" pour the hot coffee over the frozen coffee. It won't be watery at all because it's the same thing. It will only bring down the temp.

Also, if you want to flavor your coffees without adding calories you can look for Torani flavored syrups or DaVinci flavored syrups. They both have some really amazing sugar free versions out there. I keep a stockpile of them just so I have options. A bit of half & half with a drop of flavored syrup makes an awesome coffee. Just saying.
  • annAsami
    Options
    My husband and I like flavored coffee creamers. In order to avoid using too much, I like the little cup kind you can get at membership stores in the huge boxes. If you want to try drinking regular coffees, try using a light roast. It's not as acidic tasting to me. If you use a light roast in a frappe maker, I would guess it won't be very strong, so you may want to use a bolder roast (medium or dark roast) to give it that coffee flavor.

I personally don't like plain coffee from everyone's favorite coffee chain (green and white logo, you know the one)...but I do like to try different gourmet flavored coffees. These often show up in the kind of stores where you can find designer clothing and home wares.

Ultimately, I have met very few people who don't like coffee from donut shops, so that may be a good place to start :) Good luck! You'll find it helps you, I think, just don't get too hooked at first. More than one cup a day will probably irritate your stomach at first because of the acid. If that happens, take an antacid, drink a glass of milk, or lay off the coffee on the weekends and reserve it for the days you work. Cheers!

Thank you for this! I never would have known to use a medium or dark, probably would have bought a light! I will look at the flavored creamers for something low cal. Also I will start with one a day, mainly first thing in the morning lol. I didn't know it could make my stomach have problems so thank you again, very helpful!
  • annAsami
    Options
    A way to save on having to add stuff is to get good quality coffee that you like the taste of, this will require some experimentation.
    A lot of the sugar free syrups you can add taste like *kitten*.
    What would you say are some of the good brands?
  • annAsami
    Options

Also, if you want to flavor your coffees without adding calories you can look for Torani flavored syrups or DaVinci flavored syrups. They both have some really amazing sugar free versions out there. I keep a stockpile of them just so I have options. A bit of half & half with a drop of flavored syrup makes an awesome coffee. Just saying.

Thank you! Ill look for that at the store
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    fat free milk is all I use
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    So I am 23 and about to start a job where I need to be up at 5am so I think it is time to make the switch from soda to coffee! I don't like hot coffee so I just ordered a Mr. Coffee Frappe machine and I have no idea what type of coffee to use....I love coffee ice cream but I honestly have never been big on coffee. Any suggestions on a coffee for first time drinkers that is good in a frappe?? Also that has lots of caffeine!! Or if any of you make these any low calorie recipes??? I cant wait to get it and try it out!!

Learn how to drink espresso, straight up.