What are your thoughts on Surimi/imitation crab?

Options
fujiko
fujiko Posts: 58 Member
Hi,

I'm currently abroad for a year in Australia and meat and fish here are so incredibly expensive. So I'm constantly looking into the cheapest options for protein. Obviously Surimi came to mind and is also really really cheap, but I've heard so many horror stories about the actual ingredients. Does anyone have any good information on what really is inside?

Flavour wise it isn't my favourite, but I could eat it once in a while.
Thanks

Replies

• McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good snack food in moderation but not great for everyday meal food. Usually lots of sodium and other junk added. But yummy I like it.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/10/22/9-things-to-know-about-surimi-fake-crab/
  • hvnlykoi
    Options
    I used to work for National Marine Fisheries and at the fish processing plant in Akutan, Alaska where trident foods was the owner they made surimi out of ground and colored pollock, which is not a bad thing but they would leave the fish totes full of surimi uncovered outside, not a problem temperature wise. But the seagulls would sometimes add an extra ingredient to the mix as they flew over so I personally avoid Krab or imitation crab completely. But I also understand that the FDA allows a certain amount of yuck in our food. It just seeing it up close And personal turned me off it completely.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I used to work for National Marine Fisheries and at the fish processing plant in Akutan, Alaska where trident foods was the owner they made surimi out of ground and colored pollock, which is not a bad thing but they would leave the fish totes full of surimi uncovered outside, not a problem temperature wise. But the seagulls would sometimes add an extra ingredient to the mix as they flew over so I personally avoid Krab or imitation crab completely. But I also understand that the FDA allows a certain amount of yuck in our food. It just seeing it up close And personal turned me off it completely.

OMG, How gross.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options

lol i knew it was fish. but thats very insightful!