The gym - over welmed and a bit confused

Options
First of all I aim to loose body fat.

I know the majority of the work must be done in the kitchen. That's under control using the app. I have used this to good plan in the previous few years and have lost 6 stone.

I have since put some of this back on (not all). Before I used to run and managed to get to a half marathon before I stopped due to a foot problem.

I've now started the gym and want to continue running however, I read everywhere I should be lifting heavy and doing HIIT training. I've been doing hill interval training on the treadmill to try and get some fitness back which is coming back but slowly. After my cardio work I've been using a few machines but without any direction.

I've been getting a bit of a numb foot from running or hard work on the hill intervals which has been putting me back a bit. I don't know what is best to do. Am I too heavy to run? Should I stick to total body workouts and knock the cardio on the head? Any good plans I can download and follow? Again seem to be overwhelmed on the web. I enjoyed running and know it isn't the best for loosing body far percentage however, I seem to be struggling with my feet.

I have good running shoes.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Some cardio is a good piece of a well-rounded fitness plan. But see a doctor about your numb foot... you may have a pinched nerve somewhere and you'd want to find out why.

Apart from cardio/HIIT, try looking up a program called Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. You want to aim to do a full body weight lifting routine about 3 times a week. Stronglifts can be done, initially, in about 35 minutes (though it will take longer as your weights increase and you need more rest between sets) so you can also throw in 20 minutes of cardio and still be done in an hour.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A gym should have many cardio options-- swimming, elliptical, classes, bikes, rower, stairmaster, etc. Maybe limit your running to one day a week until you solve the foot issue?

For the resistance training, are you willing to consult a book? New Rules of Lifting is good. Or if not, try just getting in all of these twice a week: squats, deadlifts, lunges, pushups, pullups.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Listening!! I need some gym guidance as well. I've also been a walker/jogger and never really ventured past the cardio machines at my gym but know I need to incorporate some strength training but I'm totally confused by all the machines and which to do and how.
  • toinel
    toinel Posts: 28
    Options
    I'd sign up a few training sessions with a personal trainer. It's done wonders for my wife and I! Of course, we got hooked, and now have standing appointments once a week for both of us!

T
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You should lay off the distance running till you see a Doctor. If there is some issue going on like that, I'd want to get it looked at.

I am a distance runner lifter. I have come to accept what goes along with that. I'm at odds with gains and distance, etc. whatever.

I started with Strong lifts 3x5 then got a trainer.
    Right now we are talking about doing a lifting and running season, so I can lift in the winter more heavily and ease off when I need to run distance.

So your a guy, take a break from running, start lifting. That side of the gym will be less packed anyways.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    HIIT (when done correctly) is an advanced training technique and shouldnt be done by those just starting otherwise you are setting ourself up for injury. Also Hiit is not cardio, cardio is not HIIT.

for weights look up strong lifts or starting strength.

if running bothers your feet then maybe not run until you've lost a bit more weight? you can also do cardio on bikes, ellipticals, swimming pool (running in the pool can wok) and rowing machine
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner so cannot advise.

Regards weight lifting, perhaps try a simple program like Stronglifts to start, or google and see what you like the sound of. However Stronglifts is a very popular program which gives good results. You can learn form from watching youtube and/or ask a PT at the gym.

The only cardio I did was from my karate training, so recently I've started Bootcamp and circuit classes at my gym on top of my lifting.

HTH a bit
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No advice for you, just my sympathies because I can relate. I finally got over my worries about a bad ankle (I can still feel some pain from when I twisted it more than a year ago) and began walking/running on a treadmill recently. I lasted 4 days before I got this horrible bunions (or whatever the FFFF else) inflammation on the OTHER foot that left me unable to even walk for much of the last couple of days.

I picked this gym because they have a rowing machine and other low impact machines. I thought I would love rowing but I feel like it doesn't get my heart rate up as much as I'd like, and I get bored to death doing it. Tried the elliptical last summer, wasn't feeling it. The recumbent bike is OK but it's too easy to slack off on that one. In any event, all these options are out of the question until the foot is better.

I never thought I'd enjoy running but those couple of days on the treadmill were great. I want to go back to that, and worry that feet issues may be an ongoing obstacle.
  • MantisToboggan_MD
    MantisToboggan_MD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A gym should have many cardio options-- swimming, elliptical, classes, bikes, rower, stairmaster, etc. Maybe limit your running to one day a week until you solve the foot issue?

For the resistance training, are you willing to consult a book? New Rules of Lifting is good. Or if not, try just getting in all of these twice a week: squats, deadlifts, lunges, pushups, pullups.

This is sound advice, IMO.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Theres a fun plan finder on bodybuilding.com. If you have a smart phone, download the body space app and you will be able to track your workouts even with rest timers. Each exercise has a link that completely explains how to complete it.

I find it really helpful, it keeps me focused, and I look like less of a dweeb :D
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    your shoes may be too tight. you say they are good but how old are they? a pair of shoes is only good for 6 months or 500 miles.

you'll have good results using the elliptical machine with arm bars to hold, with a high resistance (at least 10).
  • paula1509
    paula1509 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have been going to the gym for almost 3 years now and love it, I really never thought I would, I have never been sporty in my life but I go to classes, I get really bored on the machines plus with classes I know i am doing things correctly AND I would never leave a class part way through which I would on the machines. Perhaps you could give some a go and see if you like them? I do Les Mills classes but similar ones are out there. I do Body Pump, Body Attack, Sh'bam, Body Balance and RPM, love them all, I did try Combat and CX Works but don't like them as much. Good Luck :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jon,

i've been running for years. If your foot is numb, I would certainly see a doctor. It could be from running, but then again it could be something else.

I have been going to the gym for years. Now, I both run, lift, and do the other cardio machines, so that I have plenty of variety in my workouts. Weights are three times a week followed by running. Other days I use the ergo master, elliptical, stationary bike/spinning bike, or walk on the treadmill. It all depends on what I feel like doing.

When I started the gym, I worked with a trainer. This was invaluable in that I learned how to push my body and how to lift properly.

Combination lifting and cardio has been very beneficial for me to lose fat.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Well there is your problem, you are trying to loose body fat instead of losing/ getting rid of it.

Also most gyms offer a free evaluation / personal training session with new membership so you should go from there.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I think the foot could be related to a car incident I had a while back which caused other problems at he time. Funny how that completely got forgotten about? I guess you suppress bad things etc. I had numerous physio sessions and ever since stopped running.

I know what I'm doing with regards to technique etc in the gym as I used to go very often a few years ago. I did a program I found on YouTube which worked well but I can't find it now. I know it was by some guy in Florida who used like a converted garage into a gym. Total body workout or something.

I'll check out the suggestions mentioned above.

I think ill eventually get back into the swing of all things weight related, I'm still finding my feet with the correct weights vs reps etc at the moment. Not to mention how some of the machines work. The gym I've joined is a pretty basic gym- it has lots of equipment but in terms of support you have to pay for everything. I guess the monthly price of the gym reflects this.
  • feeliek
    feeliek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My foot used to get numb whenever I tried to up my distance. My doctor recommended acupuncture and massage and I've had no problems since. They both stimulate blood flow to the area (and they both feel great!).