How to tell Calories burned when using weights?

Options
I noticed that when logging my strength training that it doesn't show the calories burned like it does for cardiovascular exercise. Why is this? Is there a way to tell how much you burned for each weight exercise done?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're talking about "do a set, rest, repeat" style lifting, a ballpark estimate would be to take the number of calories you would burn running during that same time frame and dividing by six.

So if you're 200 pounds and can run 10km (6m miles) in one hour and you lift for one hour, it's somewhere around 1/6 of 0.63 * 200 * 6. Or about 125-150 calories.

Adjust lower if you're doing sets of 5 with 10 minutes rest between them, adjust upwards if you're doing sets of 20 (or whatever).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just use the estimate MFP gives when you enter it under Cardio>Strength Training.

It's good enough, better than any HRM or complicated calculations you can try to do to figure it out.
  • Rangerfied
    Rangerfied Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Okay that makes some sense. Typically I do about 3 sets of 12 or 15 with about a 30 second break in between sets.

Thank-you
  • Rangerfied
    Options
    Just use the estimate MFP gives when you enter it under Cardio>Strength Training.

It's good enough, better than any HRM or complicated calculations you can try to do to figure it out.

When I've selected an exercise the other day, for some reason no calories burned came up. When I input the weight, sets and reps it shows nothing for some reason.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

When I've selected an exercise the other day, for some reason no calories burned came up. When I input the weight, sets and reps it shows nothing for some reason.

It's under cardio, not under the strength training section. Enter it like you're entering a run- just type in Strength training and input the amount of time you are spending.
  • Rangerfied
    Options

It's under cardio, not under the strength training section. Enter it like you're entering a run- just type in Strength training and input the amount of time you are spending.

Okay, I see what you're saying now. Thanks. Sorry about that.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    This link also helps you to log weight lifting calories (which you log on MFP).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

Hope this helps!

:flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Okay, I see what you're saying now. Thanks. Sorry about that.

No problem, this question comes up all the time. You've probably helped others wondering the same thing. :)
  • sad0711
    sad0711 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I log my strenght training under the cardio section. For my calorie burn I wear my Polar FT4 to get that.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I log my strenght training under the cardio section. For my calorie burn I wear my Polar FT4 to get that.

HRM's don't work for weight lifting. The reason is because HRM's use an algorithm that relates your heart rate to calories burned, and it's based on the amount of oxygen you exchange during cardiovascular exercise- the equation doesn't hold true for non-aerobic exercise...so not for extreme low activity like rest and not for high intensity anaerobic activity- like lifting weights or maximum effort sprints.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The best way for me has been to wear a HRM that tracks calories and do that for a few days then come up with an average.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    there is "strength training" under cardio that you can use.
  • Rangerfied
    Options
    Thank-you everyone for the info.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

Hope this helps!

I found this extremely helpful! Thank you so much for posting!!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

Well then - that calculation is about 100 cal more than I've been logging! :bigsmile:
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

I have been using the calculator at this site which seems to generate a similar calorie count:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The best way for me has been to wear a HRM that tracks calories and do that for a few days then come up with an average.
    HRM's are inaccurate for calculating calories for anaerobic work though. HRM's measure heart rate only so even just watching a scary movie while wearing one would give you an incorrect calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition