How much do you pay for running shoes?

Options
I was shocked when I saw how much running shoes cost. How much did your shoes cost was it worth it to buy the more expensive kind?

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My last pair were $140, worth every penny. Running is one of the few sports that doesn't cost any money so why not invest in a good pair of shoes. Also, you can cause all sorts of injuries wearing poorly fitting shoes, it is worth it to spend the extra.
  • jnkotara
    Options
    It is quite ridiculous how expensive running shoes are these days. I think it's because running events, such as Warrior Dash and 5K's, have gotten so popular. Personally, if you're a runner, I think shoes are important and I paid about $110 for mine. However, I went to a store such as Luke's Locker to try and find the best fit. In case you don't know what that is, it's a store that has people trained to watch how you run and walk in all different pairs of shoes. I doubt the people that work there are experts, but I feel like I ended up with some great running shoes. Before I would get shoes based on what they looked and if they felt alright, but I think it's worth it to go to a place that spends time watching you run and trying to customize your shoes to your running style as accurately as they can.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually pay about $100 dollars for my running shoes. That's a pretty standard price. You can buy cheaper sneakers but if you are injury prone you better be careful buying cheaper sneakers.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    130 bucks or so. Worth every penny, if you've ever had Achilles tendonitis because of crappy shoes.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Joe's New Balance Outlet online. Your feet will hurt with cheap shoes. It takes engineering to make a good running shoe. As a former sufferer of excruciating plantar fasciitis take my advice...cough up the money.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I have some Brooks brand shoes mine cost about $120 -- Worth it!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just spent $50 on my Nike's and love them. I'm not opposed to buying the expensive ones or anything. I'm pretty sure what I get are last years styles.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My 30 dollar pair taught me a lesson. I got a pair of Brooks for Christmas that are 125.

Don't buy anything cheap. You will probably regret it.
  • Shamichelle
    Shamichelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I spend on average between $100 & $150 for my shoes. Definitely worth every penny!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    $120 - 140 ish. I suggest finding a pair that feel good to you and spending the money. Running is hard on your feet and body and good shoes can make a huge difference. When you run and wear a pair out and then go to a new pair for the first time you'll realize how important they are.

You can often find deals on last season's shoes on different websites but I would expect to shell out at least $100
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    However much it takes for shoes that are comfortable. My most recent pair were $140 and were worth every penny. In the past I have had ones that cost less and were comfortable too, so it just depends.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have extremely small feet, so I get fitted properly when I get new runners. I don't get a lot of choice lol but am happy to pay around the $100AUD mark. Last pair were about $90AUD on sale. I need a new pair, so will go looking now while they have some after Christmas/back to school sales here.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Normally 130-150.00 a pair at the Runners shoe store but got a email ahead of xmas for a special deal and I got another pair (Reg. 140.00) for 30% off and they threw in a 10% Valued customer gift coupon so I only paid around 90 with tax. So I got an extra pair now on the shelf... :drinker:
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went to a specialty running store and happened to find a pair that worked really well on clearance for around $78. Made a huge difference, glad I went for quality and happy that I found a deal. Now that I know what a difference shoes make when I need new ones I'll still look for a good deal but I also won't settle for less quality just for a better price.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Mine were around $120 and I have no regrets.

Sometimes you can find decent deals on old models of a shoe that's right for you. Sneaker designers are always coming out with new models and styles, like car manufacturers. You can usually get last year's model for $20-40 less than the new model even though they'll feel the same on your feet. However, you have to act fast when you see this happening as runners know to stock up on their cheaper favorites and popular sizes run out pretty fast.
  • Kelleyc989
    Kelleyc989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely go to a store and have them tell me which ones to get. I would rather pay more and avoid injury!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Once you go to the specialty store and get fitted and you know which running shoes are for you. Look up the same shoe on amazon.com. I did and it saved me from $150 to $80 for the same pair and a better color.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I was just thinking about this. I have planar fasciitis in both feet and just started walking again to get some exercise. My shoes were cheap and I know it. I have paid over $100 for shoes from a dedicated running store in Austin and I guess they worked out. I guess it's time to buck up based on the advice here.
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worth going to a store that someone will watch how you walk (very important) I have flat feet and I am a over pronator. I also have some extra weight on me. If you are serious about running - invest in the shoes.... Also I like to get the socks that keep the sweat from your feet, the ones that have tighter bands in the middle - ooohhh, feels so good.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I spent $70 on my last pair and they didn't last as long as I would have liked. I'm going to spend $100+ on my next pair.