Kicking and screaming

Options
Yackma
Yackma Posts: 21 Member
I want to lose weight about as much as I want to deep clean my kids' rooms ... but some things must be done. :grumble: I could really use some support, as I'm trying to do this without drawing attention to myself. I'm hoping to let the results speak for themselves. I also am a little afraid of people trying to derail me.

I wanted to head into this challenge beefed up and feeling confident, but ... eh. I'll feel better once I get a few days under my belt. Good luck to everybody!

Replies

• MrsSwink
    MrsSwink Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A good support system is key here! I am looking to loose 40-50 lbs over the next year. Its time to take back my health and I know I have been brushing it aside for abit. I am with you in not announcing your WLJ to the world but here at MFP is the perfect place! Friend request me if you want a cheerleader and someone to check in on :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight about as much as I want to deep clean my kids' rooms ... but some things must be done. :grumble:
    Honestly, till you change your attitude towards weight loss, you're going to find every reason not to really commit to it.
    If you're not ready, then you're not ready.
    Convincing yourself that you absolutely want to do this is the first step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Eketahunachick
    Options
    I know its hard to get started but you will get there. Just take it a day at a time thats the best way especially at the beginning . Add me if you would like the support
  • Yackma
    Options
    Honestly, till you change your attitude towards weight loss, you're going to find every reason not to really commit to it.

I'm sure of it... I just don't like it. :laugh: I'm always grumpy when I stop drinking pop. It's one of my only vices, but I've done it successfully through five pregnancies. As soon as that is over with, my mindset should improve dramatically.
  • Yackma
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the support, the friend requests and whatnot, and good luck on your own journeys!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I'm sure of it... I just don't like it. :laugh: I'm always grumpy when I stop drinking pop. It's one of my only vices, but I've done it successfully through five pregnancies. As soon as that is over with, my mindset should improve dramatically.

So then don't give up the sodas. It really is possible to lose weight without the misery that can come with eliminating those foods/beverages that lots of folks will tell you are "bad." How? Just eat/drink LESS of what you do today. Stay within your calorie goals (make sure to eat back at least some of your exercise calories if you are going to be adding exercise to your routine) and you will lose weight. It really is that simple.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Only one rule you should follow to lose weight. Calories out is greater than calories in. Period.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight about as much as I want to deep clean my kids' rooms ... but some things must be done. :grumble:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.

With such a reluctant attitude you will probably stop logging within a month.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

So then don't give up the sodas. It really is possible to lose weight without the misery that can come with eliminating those foods/beverages that lots of folks will tell you are "bad." How? Just eat/drink LESS of what you do today. Stay within your calorie goals (make sure to eat back at least some of your exercise calories if you are going to be adding exercise to your routine) and you will lose weight. It really is that simple.

"Simple" isn't the same thing as "easy" but the tone of your answer implies that's the same. Soda, due to the sugar and caffeine content, is one of those things people have an extra hard time with when severely cutting down, and there is for sure a period of crankiness!

Many people who drink soda/pop consume multiple servings a day. A single 12oz can of coca cola is 140 calories. That in itself isn't a whole lot, but for the average woman eating at a deficit, that single serving uses up 7%-10% of her daily calorie allotment, and with no nutritional content. Move up to the 20 oz bottle, which is what I used to grab without a second thought, and that's 240 cals, around 15% of my daily allotment if I'm eating at a deficit. And for many pop drinkers...a single 20oz bottle isn't very much for a full day.

I don't think we have to give up the things we love either...I eat chocolate every day because for 50-100 calories, I can be satisfied. It's very hard to satisfy a soda/sugar/caffeine craving with 4-6oz of soda...so in order for me to be successful, I had to make soda a "special, sometimes" beverage. The combination of calories, and the fact that it didn't satisfy any of my hunger, meant it could no longer be part of my every day.

Of course...OP, you can switch to diet pop if you can handle the taste (I can't)...and if you are really addicted to it, you can always begin by tapering off...start replacing some of your regular with diet pop a little more each day. All at once may be too much, unsustainable because crankiness makes it harder to stick to your goals.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on having people derail you. It's way too easy to give into peer pressure which makes it tougher to stick to it.

The best thing is to focus on making small changes so it becomes habit rather than having this be one big mission to get it done then go back to normal life. Ideally you can make small changes and although you won't lose weight fast, you're more likely to stick to the changes and not end up putting weight back on in the end.

Good luck!
  • feeliek
    feeliek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sensible advice Elyelyse
  • foreverautumn35
    Options
    Soda was my weakness, then I discovered it was the fizz more than the sugar I craved and switched to La Croix, this gives me my fix and shows up as 0 on my sugar allowance.
  • Yackma
    Options
    Wow, some great discussion here. Thank you for the input.

As far as pop goes, it might be a mental thing, but even when I was in high school, I had to either drink it or not. Whenever I try to make it a special occasion treat, I wind up drinking it again regularly. Knowing that I have little will-power in this area really does help me overcome the temptation.

The fizz factor may be at play foreverautumn. I'll have to give sparkling water a try. Thanks.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm an all or nothing girl with the soda too. Last time I quit Dr. Pepper I made it like 2 months, then we went out for dinner and I decided to have one... they are gross if you don't drink them all the time, and I really need to remember that, but by the time I finished the first, I had to have another and before I knew it I had a 12 pack in the fridge again.
    My husband is the worst for derailing. No matter how healthy I am trying to eat, he Needed to buy that cake and frosting for the kids, and I am clearly the only person that can cook it... and then of course they each pick at one piece and the whole thing is left sitting in My kitchen.

That just sounded pitiful, but that's the past right? Just a little willpower at a time, until we make new habits and ordering water at the restaraunt won't sound so silly.

.......and carrot cake, my kids should develop a love for carrot cake, or something else I don't like as much chocolate!