Weight lifting and hypertension

Options
I have a history of hypertension and it appears to be getting high again. I've been lifting heavy regularly for over 2 years. I currently do a modified version of Stronglifts doing 3 sets of 5 and include the big 5 lifts. I randomly googled and found this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weightlifting/AN00637
If you have high blood pressure, here are some tips for getting started on a weightlifting program:

Learn and use proper form when lifting to reduce the risk of injury.
Don't hold your breath. Holding your breath during exertion can cause dangerous spikes in blood pressure. Instead, breathe easily and continuously during each lift.
Lift lighter weights more times. Heavier weights require more strain, which can cause a greater increase in blood pressure. You can challenge your muscles with lighter weights by increasing the number of repetitions you lift.
Alternate between upper and lower body exercises to let your muscles rest during exercise.

Thoughts? Should I go up to a 3x8 or a 3x10?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you not regulating your hypertension with medication?

i have HBP, regulate it with meds and do strong lifts. my doctor says it's fine as long as the meds keep me at normal blood pressure
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    No, not currently. I'm going to go in soon. It randomly went down during my last pregnancy and has only been borderline since then and I've been resisting medication, but it was pretty high again yesterday. I don't have a regular doctor currently and need to get records transferred.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Was it high yesterday relatively soon after lifting?

If I were you, I would get a home cuff and start monitoring it a couple times a day and watch for trends relating to your workouts (or stress)
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    OP: This isn't related to weight lifting and hypertension. But I have borderline hypertension and I'm just wondering what symptoms you experience when your BP is high?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    OP: This isn't related to weight lifting and hypertension. But I have borderline hypertension and I'm just wondering what symptoms you experience when your BP is high?

When I was first diagnosed, 8 years ago, it was chronic headaches. At that time it was 160/120. Yesterday I was just at the grocery store (NOT after lifting) and decided to check (I had a cuff but gave it to my dad, I need to buy a new one) and it was 140/90 when it's been around 125/85 for the last few years without medication. So no change in symptoms between 125/85 and 140/90.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Just speaking from my own experience, when I started getting fit and lifting weights (heavy/strength range only, not lighter weights for more reps) my bp went from borderline/high to normal. This was after my doctor told me that a lifestyle change wouldn't do anything at my age since I was 16/17 and normal weight. I had also started mfp to track intake so that could've played a role but I don't think heavy weights affected anything for me personally in a negative way, more so the opposite since I was getting fitter.

ETA: Was around 135/87 when I was that age, sometimes a bit higher. Down to around 120/75 age 20+ after lifestyle change. Haven't tested it in at least a year though, probably should do but I've had little change in lifestyle. Was never on medication just regular monitoring.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

most people experience none, that's why heart disease (HBP is a contributing factor) is sometimes referred to as a silent killer. i had no symptoms at all although when diagnosed my BP was extremely high and continued to be high until i found the correct combo of meds.

i bought a cuff (they are cheap on amazon) to keep daily track of my BP and i never noticed any spikes right after a workout, even one with weights. for me, my BP is highest first thing in the morning when i wake up which is why i take my pills as soon as i wake up
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is something you should be discussing with your physician and not people on a forum. Everyone is different.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    This is something you should be discussing with your physician and not people on a forum. Everyone is different.

Surely random people on the internet know more about medical issues than a physician that has gone to school for 8+ years.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Surely random people on the internet know more about medical issues than a physician that has gone to school for 8+ years.
    I like you. :flowerforyou:
    Don't know about the Mayo Clinic advice, but I'd be a bit worried about doing compound lifts without using the Valsalva maneuver.