Calculating Calories Burnt

Options
What should I purchase that will tell me how many calories I have burnt when I am excercising outside of the gym.

And I would like something cost efficient.

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    a heart rate monitor with a chest strap should do you well. I have a Polar F6 and while it is a tad on the expensive side it is worth every penny. You should also use it at the gym as those machines can be WAY off on calories burned.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    a heart rate monitor with a chest strap should do you well. I have a Polar F6 and while it is a tad on the expensive side it is worth every penny. You should also use it at the gym as those machines can be WAY off on calories burned.
    I love my Polar F6 as well. I have found between what my machines tell me I am burning, and what my Heart Rate Monitor tells me I am burning, can be up to 100 calories off. The HRM is one of the best measurements you can take for the amount of calories you have actually burned. It is a bit pricey, but so worth the investment.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    I'd have to agree as well, I just got the Polar FT7 last month and its completely changed the way I work out.
  • pinky1988
    Options
    Thanks! Where do i purchase one?
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I got mine on Amazon :)

Oh, also order conductor gel as sometimes spit doesn't do the trick on the sensors on the chest strap ... just a personal observation when doing plank moves or push ups.
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    I've been looking at the Polar HRMs as well but having a difficult time deciding which one to get. I mainly want to track how many calories I am burning at the gym between cardio and strength training. I don't know much about the pros/cons of working out within a target HR zone. Any suggestions on which model to get?