Inches vs weightloss

rubysparkle
rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I know i have posted this previously and then the scale showed my weight going down but recently i have noticed a dramatic change in my body shape and size. My clothes are huge on me i have found it quite depressing not having anything to wear even though i should be happy. It can be an expensive exercise. My cardigans are falling off my shoulders, im walking down the street yanking my trousers up every few steps.

People can see a huge difference now and people at work have noticed yet i'm still stuck on 14lbs lost and i started this back in August. Don't get me wrong im happy with my weight loss and change in size but it almost feels now that my weight loss needs to catch up with the amount of inches lost.

Does anyone else have this problem? The reason im getting frustrated is my doctor is monitoring my weight as i have a long term condition and he needs to see it going down or i get a hard time over it. I'm exercising regularly, eating right etc etc and its obviously working as im changing shape but i just wish the scales would now show this.

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    If your doc isn't smart enough to "see the difference" and that this difference is due to weight loss (in inches), maybe you should get a second opinion...
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    I'm having the same problem, although I have not been at it since August (began 5 weeks ago). I've lost 3-4 pounds but my clothes are falling off and I'm seeing a difference in my body already. I need to lose 70-100 pounds so one would think the weight would be falling off. It is very frustrating but it is good that we are losing inches and getting smaller. Most importantly we are healthier!
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Your doctor is trippen if he can't see the change going on.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    It's all good!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Print your report from here showing the inches lost and use that as proof positive that you're heading in the right direction health-wise! Your doc should be noticing the differences anyway!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I always see this kind of thing when I start a new exercise program, and all it means is that I am putting on lean muscle at the same time that I am stripping body fat from my body.

Body fat is the important loss, both for clothes fitting and for your health.

Get a new doctor.
  • rubysparkle
    I agree i am healthier, happier and am feeling good about my eating and exercise but i am 205 and my doc wants my weight down as much as possible. It makes me feel bad when i go for a review only for him to tell me i'm still fat by looking at numbers on the scale.

I guess it could be that i just need to find a more sensitive doctor or at least someone with a nicer manner.
  • rubysparkle
    Print your report from here showing the inches lost and use that as proof positive that you're heading in the right direction health-wise! Your doc should be noticing the differences anyway!

that's a great idea thanks :)
  • rubysparkle
    I always see this kind of thing when I start a new exercise program, and all it means is that I am putting on lean muscle at the same time that I am stripping body fat from my body.

Get a new doctor.

good point i should start measuring my body fat lost - my scales can do that

thanks
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Girl I was just complaining last night to one of my awesome buddies the exact same thing. Why isn't my scale moving. I lost 6" from my waist and my scale still didn't move. I dropped a pant size and it didn't move. Now don't get me wrong I too am grateful I am not the same today as I was yesterday. But it's hard to keep motivating everyone else and my weight is staying the same.
  • You are forgetting one very important thing, muscle weighs more than fat. As you build muscle your weight loss will slow down. Jump start it before going to the doctor next time with a change in eating habits for a week. Drop almost all your carbs and you will see a drop on the scale. If the clothes are falling off you are doing a great job and keep it up. Remember doctors are human and are not perfect.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member

Get a new doctor.

good point i should start measuring my body fat lost - my scales can do that

thanks

I agree. Calculate your change in body fat percentage and show him/her that. Also, I think you should buy a new outfit that fits properly to wear to your doctor's visit so the change in you is obvious (and because you deserve a new outfit.) :smile:
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    I have the same issue. I'm down 20 pounds (lost before I joined here), but also am down 3 clothing sizes. I"m losing way more inches than pounds. People are telling me that I'm shrinking before their eyes - but the scale certainly isn't showing it. It is frustrating - so I try to focus on how my clothes fit.
This discussion has been closed.