low carbs

Options
Hi there - anyone doing a low carb and high protein diet?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I am doing moderately low carb, but not super high protein.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto, which is high fat and low carb.
  • Dianeshealthysteps
    Options
    Hi

I'm really trying to cut down on carbs, I've always counted calories in the past and although I don't eat a lot I didnt realise just how many carbs I was having it seems that I like carbs a lot
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I aim for 75g of carb, so fairly low carb. Protein sits around 120-150. Feel free to add me.
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    Can you tell me more about the high fat diet please?
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've lost 101 pounds off a low carb diet! Please feel free to add me. =)
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am also following keto- low carb/moderate protein/high fat :)

Feel free to add me!
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    what sort of ratio is actually true in a high protein, low carb diet?
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Can you tell me more about the high fat diet please?

It's called ketogenic, or keto for short. Here's a good link that can explain it better than I could.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/mobilebasic
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    ah! yes , have read about that on my mission to find facts on low carbs, so what is the ratio on that one? thanks
  • toscarthearmada
    Options
    what sort of ratio is actually true in a high protein, low carb diet?

I follow the Insulin Resistance diet for my Insulin Resistance and PCOS. The ratio that I lost all my weight on was a 7 protein to 15 carb ratio that doesn't exceed 15/30 at any meal.
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    but that is higher carb to protein right? 7 protein 15 carb?
  • toscarthearmada
    Options
    Yes, no issues doing a lower carb count. I stick to the 30 carb because helps me properly proportion the foods that I eat and fills me up a little more. Just find something that you wouldn't mind doing forever.
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    I cannot seem to be able to change the settings on my fitness pal, to the right amount of carbs I want to eat? it changes each time I try, I am aiming for 60 grams of carbs and 120 gram of protein, does this sound ok?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I follow a keto diet too...called LCHF, which stands for low carb high fat. Around 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. Really good info available on www.dietdoctor.com. It's about eating REAL food, no pills, no gimmicks, no powders, etc. I just came back from Xmas holidays, indulged on cream, butter, full fat cheeses, etc, had access to lots of wonderful Xmas feasts, and I still lost 2 lbs! LCHF is such a wonderful eating lifestyle. It has also improved my asthma, skin irritations, stomach problems, etc. I feel so much healthier and know that I am eating foods that my body was "designed" to consume. I couldn't come up with a better term than "design", but I think you get my point...this eating lifestyle matches my body's biochemistry.

By the way, I tried the low carb high protein and low fat thing too...and it did not work at all. Was constantly hungry, hard to lose weight, my skin and nails got worse, asthma got worse too. Fat is such an important macronutrient.
  • julieannchown37
    Options
    That is very interesting, I have only just started, today really and read about that diet, I think mine will end up like this, so do not count fat at all? just watch the carbs?
  • michaelcallari
    Options
    I started trying to stay around 50 carb per day back in September. The first few weeks were a tough adjustment, but seeing the pounds drop off motivated me to stick to it. After 3 months now I can honestly say that I have never felt better in my life!

Now, I used to eat primarily pastas and breads, so this was a HUGE change for me. So now I feel that if I can do it and lose weight (I haven't even started an excersize routine yet) then absolutely anyone can.
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a long time. Talk to your doctor before you cut out a good amount of foods you will eat. It was not good for my body, and I had to go on special nutrition and supplements afterwards to fix it.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    That is very interesting, I have only just started, today really and read about that diet, I think mine will end up like this, so do not count fat at all? just watch the carbs?

Definitely count the fat! Keep it high. With carbs, keep them low, but also incorporate fiber.
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm working on trying to keep carbs under 50g for the day and definitely under 75g