How much do you pay for running shoes?

Options

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Once you go to the specialty store and get fitted and you know which running shoes are for you. Look up the same shoe on amazon.com. I did and it saved me from $150 to $80 for the same pair and a better color.

That's not nice. If everyone did that, there'd be no running shoe store to get fitted at.
    ===

Properly fit shoes are worth it. Paid about ~120 for mine.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a pair that I have bought 3x. They are from 2 'seasons' ago, and the last pair happened to be on clearance for $60.
    One year ago I bought them for $90.
    Two years ago they were $140.00.
    If you find a pair that work out well, buy 2 pair.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    When you find what works for you, look for sales, specials, closeouts.

The most I've paid is $129 plus tax for Nike Vomero 4. I've switched to Nike Free Run and I pay around $70 for them at Road Runner sports (with VIP) or at a Nike Clearance Store. Nike Frees last me about 6 months. . . 600 to 800 miles.

Runningwearhouse.com has good deals form time to time, as well
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I try to pay as little as possible. And I certainly refuse to pay more than $100. I usually never come anywhere near that number. Between clearance sales & the internet its usually in the $50-60 range.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    All 3 pairs of my Nikes were $100 each.
  • missmelt
    missmelt Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I play sport as well as jog and walk etc in mine so i find i need a good pair or i end up buying several cheap pairs for the same time frame. They cost me $120 and have lasted 5 months so far and have at least 5 more months in them! I usually do 60 mins cardio per day in them.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used to pay 130 to 150 a pair when I was heavier and buying shoes with more padding. Now I run with Sacony Kinarva's and think I got the last pair on Amazon for 80 dollars. They have less padding, but I really don't need or want that anymore.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I pay about $130-$150. I've got enough IT band issues that I'll honestly pay whatever it takes to keep me running and from getting injured.

At least my local running store has a rewards program? :/
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Merrell barefoot runners, got mine for $65. In love with how they feel.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Brooks for $100, at a place where they did fittings. Worth it.
  • PecanWaffle
    Options
    If you are a very fast runner, you don't have to pay anything :laugh:
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running shoe store and get sized by them, find a pair of shoes you like .. and then buy them online! Amazon is good, I pay $80 online, while the same shoes are being sold for $150 at the running store.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I saw how much running shoes cost. How much did your shoes cost was it worth it to buy the more expensive kind?

I pay $25 for Starters at WalMart. They work great.

Study after study has failed to find any injury or performance improvements from expensive runners.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Once you go to the specialty store and get fitted and you know which running shoes are for you. Look up the same shoe on amazon.com. I did and it saved me from $150 to $80 for the same pair and a better color.

or ebay. I have 2 pair of Nike Air Pegasus - one I got fitted for at the running store and paid $110 and the other I went home and bought on ebay for $65 and free shipping. Same brand, style, etc, the only difference is color.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to a running store, getting fitted for shoes, then search for last year's "model" on Zappos or 6pm if the price is an issue. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, but prefer shoes that are tried/true.

Also, depending on how much you run, expect to replace your shoes every 6 months or so. There are plenty of articles on the internet that tell you how to determine when it's time to replace your shoes. Here's just one:

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/blog/running-shoe-durability-how-many-miles-can-you-expect-and-how-to-extend-the-life-of-your-running-shoes/
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just recently paid 125 for my current running shoes. You really do need to invest in the best.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    $110 & worth every penny. I have used inferior shoes & have paid the price w/continued foot issues. If I had spent the money on proper shoes to begin with I may never have experienced my injury. So were the cheaper improperly fitted shoes worth it, NO! Get fitted & spend the money.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Wow. I totally agree with buying excellent quality shoes, but good lord people look for deals! My last pair of running shoes (Mizuno's) were originally $140. I got them when the new version came out and mine were "outdated" so they were marked down to $80. Then I searched the web for a 20% off coupon code which brought the price down to $64 with free shipping. And that's how you get great quality shoes at a reasonable price.
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Before you get out and hand over your hard-earned, do get a proper shoe fit. This included length and width. Not all feet are equal. Then, knowing your shoe length and width size, go get a gait analysis to determine if you pronate, supinate or have a natural RUN gait.

Then with this information, go to your shops and ask for your shoes that fit the requirements - attempt to get as many varieties to try as possible.

Now heres the kicker; shoes that you stand in that feel good may not be the best shoe for you to run in. I recommend having a shop with a treadmill, put brand/shoe x on left foot and brand/shoe y on right foot. Now go run. Keep the one which feels best on. Repeat until you're out of shoes. The one you like most is the one you're going to buy.

It sounds laborious to do this, but honestly, its a far easier doing this than suffering with cramp, blisters, toe nails going purple and falling off, fasciitis, tendonitis, cortizone shots etc.

(now for me, I run in New Balance 1080's for training and zoot ultra tt 5.0's for racing)
  • Senneth12
    Options
    About $120-140, plus inserts. I do watch and pick up a couple of clearance pairs when they change versions, but they still tend to run about $60-80.

Yes, they're expensive, but it's less than an ER visit and not any more than an orthopedist visit plus x-rays.